Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-SPI Flight Canceled With no Same-Day Rebooking Available - Other Options/Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-SPI Flight Canceled With no Same-Day Rebooking Available - Other Options/Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Bonehead
That's nuts...there's a 4:10 pm flight tomorrow that's Y5. HUCA.
In what world does it make sense to hang around ORD a full 24 hours for a <200 mile flight?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Mobile site says:
United Flight 5472
Departure Date: Fri., Aug. 22, 2014
Status: Canceled due to air traffic control conditions impacting our flight operations

Departs:
Chicago, IL (ORD)
Scheduled: 5:04 PM
Estimated: Canceled
Terminal: Terminal 2, Concourse F
Gate: F6A

Arrives:
Springfield, IL (SPI)
Scheduled: 5:58 PM
Estimated: Canceled
Terminal:
Gate: 4
Aircraft: Canadair CRJ-200 | #925

In this case UA chose to cancel this flight rather than another one - UA choice here.
Likely this flight was lightly loaded and a short flight - hence UA chose this one.

Can they confirm you on the morning flight? I would likely standby for the later flight and if you can't get on that one, then go the next morning. Hotels aren't too expensive at ORD - off airport grounds with shuttle.

It hard to really know the reason UA cancelled, UA tends to blame it on something else - could be the flight was light and UA cancelled or they chose this one.

For that matter - UA could use this excuse (air traffic) anytime. Air Traffic always impacts operations! I guess the weather excuse has gotten tired.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:40 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The united.com flight status page for this cancelled flight for today shows:
"Status: Canceled due to air traffic control conditions impacting our flight operations."

There have been periodic reports of the reasons stated by UA for the IRROPS as different from the actual cause(s); and if you decide to seek your own transportation, I'd follow WineCountryUA's advice to see if an agent would document the record to allow reimbursement if no flight bookable today.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
In what world does it make sense to hang around ORD a full 24 hours for a <200 mile flight?
Not arguing that point...my butt would be over at the Avis counter ASAP.

I'm addressing the agent's refusal to put the OP on anything but an ORD--STL flight tomorrow.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Not a chance of the 5:15 at this point, but the 7:00 is still very doable if you hustle.

I wouldn't do a cab this time of day - take the Blue line from ORD and get off at Jackson, from there it will be a 10 minute walk west to Union Station. You could be there as early as 6:00 or 6:15 if you start now.
OP, if you do decide to try Amtrak, please don't miss this advice and take the train from ORD to downtown. It leaves from Terminal 2. I would however suggest a cab once you get downtown to Amtrak. It's hot and humid here today and that's a longer walk than it seems if you have luggage.

Taking a cab from the airport might actually be cutting it close if you haven't left yet and will be very expensive.

Renting a car will get you home the soonest however.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Amicus
Is it likely that air traffic control really did cancel our flight?
Let's be clear, ATC doesn't cancel flights. ATC manages airspace constraints, sets arrival and departure rates, and United chooses between delays and cancels for United and United Express. ORD has seen challenges today managing traffic due to thunderstorms and winds, but hasn't had any ground delays or airspace flow programs I can see, just some required routes.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone here.

Just deplaned, as a gate finally opened up.

I tried booking an Avis rental just now, and it won't let me book a one way from ORD to SPI. It tells me "sold out for my pickup location." But, Avis will allow me to book the car if I am returning it to ORD, so obviously they HAVE cars.

I am incredibly frustrated . . . not sure if I can get downtown via blue line, and catch the 7 p.m. Amtrak train. Please is this possible right now, at 5 p.m. here

Also, must I speak to the UA rep right now to get the refund on my ORD-SPI segment BEFORE leaving the airport. It's going to take extra time.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried booking an Avis rental just now, and it won't let me book a one way from ORD to SPI. It tells me "sold out for my pickup location." But, Avis will allow me to book the car if I am returning it to ORD, so obviously they HAVE cars.

I am incredibly frustrated . . . not sure if I can get downtown via blue line, and catch the 7 p.m. Amtrak train. Please is this possible right now, at 5 p.m. here

Also, must I speak to the UA rep right now to get the refund on my ORD-SPI segment BEFORE leaving the airport. It's going to take extra time.
Alamo is a go...8 PM to noon tomorrow Intermediate $155.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Two hours is plenty of time. Get on the blue line (there's only one direction). You can call United from Amtrak to get your ticket fixed.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium

Yes, you can make the 7 pm Amtrak at this time as long as you take the blue line. If you take a cab it's pretty risky. As Jbord said... grab a cab once you get off at Jackson. Just make sure to walk west and not east like my better half has done before. ;-) Plus the cabbie will know where to go.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SamOF
Two hours is plenty of time. Get on the blue line (there's only one direction). You can call United from Amtrak to get your ticket fixed.
Google tells me there's a Blue Line train every seven minutes and it takes 50 minutes from ORD to Union Station, so OP should be fine.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
If your plan is to rent a car, be certain to check Priceline. I've seen them willing to hit bids of less than $80 for a one way to SPI. It's the drop charge that kills you on that route.

Dave
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I had a similar problem in may with a connection from ORD to SBN. A UA agent booked me on the same flight the next day.

Since it was too late for any train, ORD hotels that I looked at were booked, and no one had available rental cars, I took the blue line to the loop; stayed at the Palmer House Hilton; took the South Shore to SBN the next morning. On the South Shore, several trains per day actually run right to the airport terminal.

After getting home (8 hours before the flight would have gotten me home), I called UA to cancel the segment. The agent noted that there would be a refund. It took a few days, but it did come through. I did not venture to ask for any other consideration as I was just glad to have made it home!

Good luck with your adventure.

My concern, however, is that this type of UX cancellation seems to be all too common. What is United going to do to create UX schedules that actually function for the most part. What they have now does not seem to be working - at least for the passengers. The hotels, rental car companies, Amtrak, the South Shore, etc. are really making money on United's dumped ORD connecting customers!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
...My concern, however, is that this type of UX cancellation seems to be all too common. What is United going to do to create UX schedules that actually function for the most part. What they have now does not seem to be working - at least for the passengers...
Agree. It's always a crapshoot out of SYR on a Sunday afternoon. Best to book all possible flights out
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to post an update on my adventure - -

Couldn't guarantee a one way car rental on Avis (I travel for the Fed. Govt. and that is the "preferred" rental agency).

So, I hoofed it to terminal 2, caught the Blue Line train, then a taxi to Union Station. Woo hoo, ten minutes to 7 p.m., got my Amtrak ticket to SPI. (train left at 7)

On the train, called UAL to request a refund on the ORD-SPI segment. Today is NOT my day. The UA rep assured me "oh the refund is already being processed." HUH? Since I was confirmed on a Saturday flight, had I stayed in ORD, then why is a refund in process? She didn't know the amount of the refund.

Someone here mentioned I could request the refund of that segment online. I don't see where that is done. Does it matter if my travel is booked by the Fed. Govt. travel agency, not me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.