Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
lol. iirc they stock only three 312s per flight. If I clear CPU ahead of time, I'll try to sit in row 1 or 2 to improve my average.
It's 2 per drawer, not per flight. Each cart has more the one drawer. There are carts in F and Y.

A FA can probably tell us for sure, but it's somewhere around a minimum of 8 cans per aircraft for a small narrowbody.

Most F FAs will go to Y to snag theirs if they run out, but that's not always the case.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by nevansm
Flying a transcon domestic segment tonight, does anybody know if I should expect the updated entrees for dinner?
Had it from LAX-IAH yesterday. Salad with chicken and fruit wasn't bad. Chicken enchilada soup (?) was a salt lick though.

First three rows all scarfed the salad so others got old chicken wrap
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58
Had it from LAX-IAH yesterday. Salad with chicken and fruit wasn't bad. Chicken enchilada soup (?) was a salt lick though.
Agree. Had that salad yesterday and have to say it was a change I liked ^
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
No luck for an updated breakfast yet on something like EWR-LAS this month? I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the new chicken/mozzarella sandwich on tomato cibatta I had this week MIA-EWR.
I assume it's cold cereal or a Jeff McMuffin.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the pics from seth are worth 1000 words. i'll agree that the bar is still being set by DL and others. i had two very nice onboard meals with AS this weekend. not fancy, but tasty and filling...and delivered with a smile.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
No luck for an updated breakfast yet on something like EWR-LAS this month?
No changes to breakfast offerings as part of this announcement.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the pics from seth are worth 1000 words. i'll agree that the bar is still being set by DL and others.
Given that there hasn't been a change to the new entrees yet I don't see this as entirely surprising a view.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
No changes to breakfast offerings as part of this announcement.

Given that there hasn't been a change to the new entrees yet I don't see this as entirely surprising a view.
Isn't the new sandwich part of it? I had a nice sandwich 4 times last week. Once cold, 3 times warmed on ORD-EWR route.

I can see it eventually getting a bit tired, hopefully UA rotates them. But the sandwich is 100% better than that chicken wrap...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i'll agree that the bar is still being set by DL and others.
Did you mean to say DL and 'other'?

Hopefully these are the exception on AA...

But my last flight on American had the worst “chicken” dish I’ve ever been served,

and this flight had the worst “beef” dish I’ve ever eaten briefly put in my mouth.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Uh oh.

Are you trying to be sent to a Gulag or what? shhh, AA is perfect!

edit: hee hee at the AA flyer comments.

"United is ready for your business, with brand new upgraded menus early next year. The smart money knew this and more is coming and shorted AAdvantage."

hee hee.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Here's my MIA-EWR sandwich...I think there was some sort of white/creamy sauce/spread on it along with the cheese. Could have used something with a bit more kick.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Had the new turkey sandwich (also with a white mystery sauce) with the cranberry bread on a flight last week... I don't see any improvement... though this is new, it is no better (if not worse) than anything I have had in F in the past. Doesn't look like any sort of a step change for the better if this is really what's new.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
LAX-ORD on 9/8 lunch choices were southwestern chicken salad or hot turkey & swiss on a roll/baguette. Both served with soup (chicken tortilla, I think) and a roll. Dessert was a chocolate chip cookie.

I had the turkey sandwich. While the sandwich tasted OK, the presentation was completely bland, what with just the sandwich roll, side roll and the reddish soup. Not a green thing in sight.

Sad, considering a meal like this (with a small salad instead of soup) is comparable to what would have been served in Y not so many years ago. Totally not first class.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
It cracks me up that United serves a roll alongside a sandwich.

"Would you like some bread with your bread?..."
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
It cracks me up that United serves a roll alongside a sandwich.

"Would you like some bread with your bread?..."
I appreciate a roll with my soup though. Even if I am about to eat a sandwich.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Wasn't overly impressed by my first experience with the new menu(s). YYZ-IAH was a box of "toast", cheese and granola bars for breakfast on an E175. On AA's YYZ-DFW morning flights I've always gotten a fruit plate followed by an omelette or other egg dish, rolls and sweet buns. (Or oatmeal.) Lunch on IAH-POS was a not too bad piece of brisket but it was surrounded by inedible sweet rice and yams...yecch.

And what's with ice and UA FAs? I ordered orange juice without ice and it came with the glass 3/4 filled with ice! Same with my tomato juice and vodka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.