Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will there be Global First (3 class) on 787/A350?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will there be Global First (3 class) on 787/A350?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Anything other than the PMCO BF seat would be surprising IMO. Unfortunately.
Please. I recently did "Rome for a day"...over in the pmCO BF seat and back in the pmUA 777 sardine can C seat. It's quite a shock juxtaposing those two seats in short order...the pmUA seat is narrower, less private (layout, not seat issue, of course), and has much less storage space. I think it's the latter issue that REALLY bugs me about the pmUA seat.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:56 pm Reason: removed off topic comment about PMUA/PMCO seat wars
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Please. I recently did "Rome for a day"...over in the pmCO BF seat and back in the pmUA 777 sardine can C seat. It's quite a shock juxtaposing those two seats in short order...the pmUA seat is narrower, less private (layout, not seat issue, of course), and has much less storage space. I think it's the latter issue that REALLY bugs me about the pmUA seat.

The benchmark for J now is 1-2-1, be it reverse herringbone or staggered. Anything more per row getting put into planes is out of date.

For "regular" biz seats, I'd happily take the TK ones over either UA/CO seat...much more spacious.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm Reason: Removed religious reference and deleted portion of quoted post
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Where did I say anything about them better off with the PMUA seat?...
"Unfortunately"? I think that means that you think that installing the pmCO BF seats would be "unfortunate". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by goalie; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:57 pm Reason: removed comment directed towards the member
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
"Unfortunately"? I think that means that you think that installing the pmCO BF seats would be "unfortunate". Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the inference should be "unfortunately instead of searching for a seat that is better than either the UA or CO seat."

Last edited by goalie; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:58 pm Reason: removed deleted portion from quoted post
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 787fan
Plus AA.
Thanks ^ I knew I missed someone.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Didn't think it was so complicated - everyone knows we'll never see another new plane delivered with the PMUA seats.

Both sCO/sUA seats are now average best case vs. the industry, and in a couple years they'll be looking very below-average.

Originally Posted by wrp96
I think the inference should be "unfortunately instead of searching for a seat that is better than either the UA or CO seat."
Exactly

Last edited by goalie; Jul 29, 2014 at 5:58 pm Reason: removed deleted portion from quoted post
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Some previous discussion of the "future of 3-class planes for UA"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ate-ua-gf.html (April 2014)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...bal-first.html (July 2012, Jan 2013)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-planes.html (Sept 2012)
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA1K
granted, the middle section in C on the pmua 777/744 is not the best, but i don't mind the actual seats. i think both are adequate.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Both sCO/sUA seats are now average best case vs. the industry, and in a couple years they'll be looking very below-average.
We should let BA know that too. Might as well include AA since BA now does at least half of the NYC-LON flying as a JV.

Look, everyone fails to realize this is a trade off decision since real estate is very limited and must be maximized.

You can either,

a) Keep First Class, and install a J seat maximizing solution which normally entails either a cradle, or a flip/flop backward/forward facing arrangement. (UA, BA)

b) Dump First and go with slightly less cramped J cabin in order to keep the seat count higher (pmCO BF, VS, AC, some of DL)

c) Dump First and add a more spacious J cabin but with less seats (US, AA, DL)

d) Keep First and keep a large spacious J cabin, (NH, CX)

If you're someone who has flies on full J, C, D you likely want the best seat possible.

If you're a FFP who likes to redeem for First, you likely want option "a" since nobody is really buying F.

If you're a mile whore and wants to redeem miles for J International travel, or buy Y tickets and play the upgrade lottery, you're going to hate the DL and AA approach.

Pick your poison.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jacobac00
Any new info on the pmUA 787 orders? I think the last I read it was 2016 but I don't know how recent that estimate was made. I'm guessing no info yet on seat maps and the like? Curious to know which BF seat will be installed.
It's not a ton of information, but the seat map for the UA 787-9 is on united.com.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...0/default.aspx

It's clearly a 2-class a/c and on paper, at least, looks quite similar to the sCO 772 layout. The 789 will have 48J/88E+/116E- for a total of 252. J is 2-2-2 and Y is 3-3-3.

The sCO 772 is 50J/72E+/145E- for a total of 267 with 2-2-2 J and 3-3-3 Y, same as the 787 even though the 777 cabin is 15 inches wider (which is nearly as wide as an economy seat)...
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by wpr8e
d) Keep First and keep a large spacious J cabin, (NH, CX)
AA 773?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wrp96
This. Both the current UA and CO seats are no longer competitive.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
It's not a ton of information, but the seat map for the UA 787-9 is on united.com.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...0/default.aspx

It's clearly a 2-class a/c and on paper, at least, looks quite similar to the sCO 772 layout. The 789 will have 48J/88E+/116E- for a total of 252. J is 2-2-2 and Y is 3-3-3.
Who ordered the first 787-9's to be delivered - pmUA or pmCO?

If pmCO, then it's obvious that the plane would be only 2 class and have CO style biz seats. I would be surprised if pmUA would have ordered the plane and and fitted it out with only 2 classes as I thought pmUA intended to have Int'l F on all TATL/TPAC flights.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM

If pmCO, then it's obvious that the plane would be only 2 class and have CO style biz seats. I would be surprised if pmUA would have ordered the plane and and fitted it out with only 2 classes as I thought pmUA intended to have Int'l F on all TATL/TPAC flights.
who cares? they merged before the first 788 was delivered to ANY airline. The lead time on seats isn't that long. They could configure them however they wanted.

UA is a 2 class airline, even if they sell a J+ product they call "F".
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by 1kBill

It was PMCO, so no big surprise.

Although CO/UA ended up being the U.S. launch customer for the Dreamliner, originally it was supposed to be NW, which is interesting when you consider that Richard Anderson, who seems to have a penchant for classic aircraft, was once CEO of NW (although not when the 787 order was placed)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.