FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Will there be Global First (3 class) on 787/A350? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1598451-will-there-global-first-3-class-787-a350.html)

SignatureCaptainLNK Jul 29, 2014 6:10 am

Will there be Global First (3 class) on 787/A350?

Hello! I seem to recall a thread not too long ago that discussed whether or not United would take delivery of 3 cabin 787s. After an exhaustive search, I failed to find it. What's the verdict on this? Has UA made any statements about the future of Global First and the 787? How about on the A350s? Thanks in advance!

UA-NYC Jul 29, 2014 6:14 am

No on the 787s (not sure if any airline is putting F in it?)

No word yet on the A350s...I'd be shocked if UA does though. This is a 2 cabin airline in the future.

CLEguy Jul 29, 2014 6:24 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 23274942)
No on the 787s (not sure if any airline is putting F in it?)

Etihad is placing their new first suites into the 787.

sm71 Jul 29, 2014 6:33 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy (Post 23274996)
Etihad is placing their new first suites into the 787.

I read that British Airways is adding first class, so I'd imagine quite a few airlines are going to do that. Even though United isn't doing that with the 787-9, I wouldn't be surprised if they would add GF to the 787-10.

nerdbirdsjc Jul 29, 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by sm71 (Post 23275025)
I read that British Airways is adding first class, so I'd imagine quite a few airlines are going to do that. Even though United isn't doing that with the 787-9, I wouldn't be surprised if they would add GF to the 787-10.

United has already indicated that GlobalFirst will not be added to any longhaul aircraft where it does not currently exist. It's a product that will progressively disappear over time, starting with the 3-cabin 767s begin retirement from the fleet next year.

The current GF is not very competitive, and the gap only grows as rivals invest millions into high-end suites and airport lounges to cater to the shrinking F demand.

jacobac00 Jul 29, 2014 6:49 am

Any new info on the pmUA 787 orders? I think the last I read it was 2016 but I don't know how recent that estimate was made. I'm guessing no info yet on seat maps and the like? Curious to know which BF seat will be installed.

UA-NYC Jul 29, 2014 7:01 am

Originally Posted by jacobac00 (Post 23275074)
Any new info on the pmUA 787 orders? I think the last I read it was 2016 but I don't know how recent that estimate was made. I'm guessing no info yet on seat maps and the like? Curious to know which BF seat will be installed.

Anything other than the PMCO BF seat would be surprising IMO. Unfortunately.

787fan Jul 29, 2014 7:12 am

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc (Post 23275064)
United has already indicated that GlobalFirst will not be added to any longhaul aircraft where it does not currently exist. It's a product that will progressively disappear over time, starting with the 3-cabin 767s begin retirement from the fleet next year.

UA hasn't indicated anything about 787-10 or A350-1000 plans. Do you have a link to show UA execs explicitly stating no F on all future planes on order ?

Just for the record, UA just went through the hassle to add in GS/GF check-in at EWR, and is planning GFL at EWR. That sounds like a commitment to maintaining F for the forseeable future.

As a point of comparison, DL has zero F while AA is planning to shrink F down to just 77W (like 20 birds?). The fleet plans speak for themselves regarding the "competitiveness" of the products.

UA-NYC Jul 29, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by 787fan (Post 23275186)
Just for the record, UA just went through the hassle to add in GS/GF check-in at EWR, and is planning GFL at EWR. That sounds like a commitment to maintaining F for the forseeable future.

That speaks more to having to appease GS going to/from NYC than it does 3 cabin F.

Lots of hearsay as well around this supposed GS/GFL as well.

1kBill Jul 29, 2014 8:21 am

Do you have a source for this statement?

While I agree that going forward UA will drop the Int'l F product, I do recall hearing some discussion that the perceived value (to UA, anyway) of the product was that it drove higher fare business class tickets. Without it, there would be absolutely no reason to pay even $1 more than necessary for UA's biz product.

Pi7473000 Jul 29, 2014 10:21 am

United is not the premium 3 class airline it was just a few years ago before it merged with CO. With united resembling co it has become a generic airline with limited premium services. I do not see 3 class fitting into the CO way of doing things. It is too bad because the BF on the 787 is not impressive and feels dated already. United made GF work on 767s for years, but now the new United is satisfied with a generic business class as the top product. Hopefully they offer 3 class on some 787s and a350s in the future as the business class on 2 class planes does not feel premium enough to pass as the top product offering to passengers for long hauls.

kevanyalowitz Jul 29, 2014 11:05 am

The current GF is not very competitive, and the gap only grows as rivals invest millions into high-end suites and airport lounges to cater to the shrinking F demand.

This simply isn't true. GF is still a possibility on the A350 and it seems that at least some at UA see the value on keeping GF on high yield routes to 1) capture the few GF fares sold and 2) maintain those that pay for J/C/D in order to upgrade to GF.

Kacee Jul 29, 2014 11:11 am

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz (Post 23276491)
This simply isn't true. GF is still a possibility on the A350 and it seems that at least some at UA see the value on keeping GF on high yield routes to 1) capture the few GF fares sold and 2) maintain those that pay for J/C/D in order to upgrade to GF.

UA did just make a significant investment in the new GFL at LHR.

Madone59 Jul 29, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 23276530)
UA did just make a significant investment in the new GFL at LHR.

UA and BA are the only two running 3 cabin A/C to N. America-LHR. Also LHR has a lot of *A F PAX (SQ, TG, CA) connecting the the N. America on UA.

787fan Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 23276685)
UA and BA are the only two running 3 cabin A/C to N. America-LHR. Also LHR has a lot of *A F PAX (SQ, TG, CA) connecting the the N. America on UA.

Plus AA.