Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The thing I miss the most from UA since switching over to AA is the SDC policy. *A is also leaps and bounds above OW.

Otherwise AA IMO is superior in pretty much every other category (I don't do much international travel so the lack of 100% international fully lie-flat seats in J doesn't really impact me)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I gave up on UA and went with AA about two years ago. Thus far, my experience has been:

AA:

ACs are good, though not something I would pay for if they did not come with my CC.
Better service within the continental US, to the Caribbean, and to South America.
IRROPS are rare, and handled with courtesy.
Decent to good menus in F/J (considering it's airplane food).
Five Star Service at JFK departures works as advertised.
J seats on the 757 international configuration to SJU are fantastic.
More points accumulation as mid-tier Aadvantage member.

United:

Better coverage to Europe and Asia.
Star Alliance is much better by far (we still fly SQ and even LH to get to FRA; trying to do this via OW is complicated and/or expensive).
Better coverage to Canada (via AC).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
On flights of similar length on UA, I've experienced the snack basket that the FA passes around. I don't know what AA does, but it seems from the OP that AA doesn't even do that.
"Snack basket" is different from "snack box" in FT lingo. UA does pass around the snack basket on SFO-LAS (although how many times exactly is very dependent on the crew IME). The FT'er I responded to mentioned he got pretzels, so I just wanted to make sure the context was understood.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
"Snack basket" is different from "snack box" in FT lingo. UA does pass around the snack basket on SFO-LAS (although how many times exactly is very dependent on the crew IME). The FT'er I responded to mentioned he got pretzels, so I just wanted to make sure the context was understood.

Yes, I know that. I misread the OPs post, missing the part where he got pretzels. Regardless, UA still more than what the OP got on AA
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ysolde
United:

Better coverage to Canada (via AC).
AA does have Westjet as a partner, but they just don't seem to get a mention on the AA forum. Alaska also serves some B.C. cities.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Originally Posted by 787fan

I'm not too sure about whether ANA Japanese domestic award seats show up on UA.com though.
ANA Japanese domestic award seats show up on UA.COM but only when searching "one way", not rt.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tom911
Alaska also serves some B.C. cities.
and YYC and YEG, which are in Alberta.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Didn't know they flew to Alberta. My flights have always been over to the B.C. side. Learn something new here every day.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I always like reading threads like this. I went from DL to AA to UA, consistently at the 50k elite level.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the EQM/EQP split over at AA. For people who fly a mix of deep discount economy and the occasional premium J/F, AA is terrible from a status earning perspective. For all the shortcomings on UA, the reason I'm very happy with my move so far:
- SDC that I have had great experience with so far
- Miles I can actually use to/from Europe (without insance BA "surcharges")
- Upgrades based on fare code, not time of request (this one is specific to me because 80% of my travel is booked less than 7 days out)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by scherzva
Strengths of UA:
- Easier to earn miles by non-BIS activities like mileageplusshopping.com, rental cars
Well, not if you consider the Citi cards with 50,000-100,000 bonus miles, often churnable (unlike Chase).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
One thing i've noticed is that AA will offer 100% miles on any flight with an AA flight number (so codeshares on any OW airline), while on UA, the opposite is true and you get however many miles the operating carrier decides.
I still prefer UA policy of operating metal rules. Much easier to find such flights and often cheaper. I don't need to worry about finding codeshare flights. The cheaper of the two will still give the same amount of miles.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by tom911
AA does have Westjet as a partner, but they just don't seem to get a mention on the AA forum. Alaska also serves some B.C. cities.
Don't think you can redeem on them though.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
UA has better seats in F & J on most if not all TPAC/TATL. No MCE and no lie flat on AA except the 777-300ER routes. Real power on UA long haul fleet, not the ancient cigarette lighter type power.

I hear on the AA Transcon premium services flights wine selection is abysmal and so is food. I think i head someone call them "TV dinners". Guess ill find out Saturday when i try out the A321.
I was rather disappointed to discover that "real power" is the same lame 75 watts as the "ancient cigarette lighter." Since I already have the adapters for all relevant devices (useful in cars), I see no advantage. Why can't they up the power a bit to handle even one large laptop?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I still prefer UA policy of operating metal rules. Much easier to find such flights and often cheaper. I don't need to worry about finding codeshare flights. The cheaper of the two will still give the same amount of miles.
There was a thread not too long ago in this forum where somebody booked a UA/AC codeshare where the UA fare code earned 100% miles but the AC booking code only earned 25% miles and the OP only earned 25% miles.

I enjoy AA's policy, but the codeshares are sometimes more expensive than booking on the other carrier's flight number.

Noticed someone said UA earns miles for shopping and cars. Pretty sure both UA and AA use the same exact shopping vendor to earn miles, and AA earns plenty miles on rental cars/hotels too.

the lack of a free SDC policy for elites annoys me, hopefully they bring over the US policy of waived SDC fees for elites. However, all 4 times ive stand byed for SDC for free, ive cleared everytime with ease.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It will go up, but it's insanely cheap right now...US to SE Asia, one way C is 55K miles and F is 67.5K miles. On UA partner carriers, C is 80K and F is, what, 140K now?

I'm not entirely sure about that... with AA's recent devaluation of award levels and their greater restricting of award inventory, we may get a pass on partner award levels for some time. I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the vast majority of redemptions in the U.S. are on own carrier's metal. This seems to be especially true at AA, where only a few oneworld partner awards are visible on AA.com. One of these is BA (high fuel surcharges) and another is Qantas (super stingy). CX, JL, MH, EY, FJ, TN, and a bunch of other partners are not available unless you call in and you know what to ask for. These people are a pretty small percentage of those with an AAdvantage account (and many of them probably have an FT account ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.