Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Arguably million miler (once you achieve it) is better on UA than AA.

Better on UA:
- Status for spouse
- Ability to achieve 3rd, 4th tier (1K and GS) by hitting 3MM and 4MM (AA doesn't grant status above platinum, which is equivalent to UA gold)
- At 3MM and 4MM, RPUs, GPUs granted every year for MM status (is this correct?) Does your spouse also get RPUs, GPUs?

Better on AA:
Any base miles that count toward EQMs count toward MM (even if they're flown on another airline).
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:35 pm
GeP

Originally Posted by StingWest
True only when comparing AAs new(ish) 77W. UA has 100% lie-flat internationally in business - AA has a way to go.
Business class seating on pmUA 777s is sub-standard, though: 8 abreast in business, as opposed to 9 in economy? Especially those 4 seats in the center feel really crowded, but all business seats feel narrow.

Of course better than sitting in economy, but nothing compared to real business class seats (or the old, angled seats, apart from the screen and entertainment). I would not waste an SWU let alone pay for this experience.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:38 pm
GeP

Originally Posted by bigwings8
Better on AA:
Any base miles that count toward EQMs count toward MM (even if they're flown on another airline).
This is a biggie for those not based in the US. One of those cases where the United/Continental merger went for what is worse for customers.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by bigwings8
- At 3MM and 4MM, RPUs, GPUs granted every year for MM status (is this correct?) Does your spouse also get RPUs, GPUs?
No GPU's, RPU's for spouse. RPU's only given to lifetime Plat (2 million) not Gold (1 million). GPU's given to lifetime 1k (3 million) and GS (4 million) but you are shorted one RPU for some reason (2 instead of the normal 3).

Still I think United has by far the best lifetime program out there. Wonder when and how they will scale it back.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:44 pm

United program vs American/Us air

My daughter is moving to Arlington Virginia and is planning on getting a card with airline miles. She has offers from both for 50,000 start up points. She will be traveling on vacations, not so much business. She plans to use this as her main credit card to build miles for trips. Expert opinion on best card for her. She will be very close to Reagan airport but will be able to fly out of Dulles as well. Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is the question about
1) which airline is better?
2) which airline frequent flyer program is better?
3) which credit card is better?

Those are three different questions and may have different answers.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended

My guess is which credit card is better for her traveling patterns

Depends on where she vacations. If she's more LAS/CUN/SJD, then either airline is fine. If South Florida and near Caribbean like Bahamas, then AA.

Absent of that information, I'll say AA.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I would say it almost entirely depends on which airline has the routes she wants to take. For me that is UA, usually out of IAD, but sometimes DCA. For someone else that could be AA/US out of DCA.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:08 pm

For overseas travel, UA/Star Alliance will be better because of direct flights out of IAD. DCA a) is limited to domestic and international routes with pre-clearance (Bahamas, Canada, some others) b) 1,500 mile flight lengthlimited with only a few transcon exceptions.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
For overseas travel, UA/Star Alliance will be better because of direct flights out of IAD. DCA a) is limited to domestic and international routes with pre-clearance (Bahamas, Canada, some others) b) 1,500 mile flight lengthlimited with only a few transcon exceptions.
I'll add to this - because the DCA transons are very restricted quantities, their pricing is far higher than any comparable flight to IAD or BWI.

Another point for OP is that with new entrants like jetBlue, DCA-Florida prices are very reasonable, making them a bad use case of miles, even at saver economy levels.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If she is likely to earn more miles through CC purchases than actual flying, IMO the UA card/program is better. Mileage Plus X is something they don't have at AA. Also, MP award redemption is still better (at this point), especially considering the strength of *A partners and their coverage worldwide.

Still, YMMV, so you need to do a little more homework yourself (i.e., if this matters, the UA Explorer card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, while the equivalent Citi AA card does).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:27 pm

If she is only traveling on vacation etc, it may also depend what she want to use miles for. If domestic, ie flying Las Vegas, FLA with girlfriends, WN may be her better option as status won't be achieved.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by movedsouth
She has offers from both for 50,000 start up points. She will be traveling on vacations, not so much business.
AA offers a 40K off peak award to Europe and South America, so you have enough miles right from the start for a free trip. The season for Europe runs from October 15-May 15.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:00 pm

Thanks everyone! Sounds like UA may be best! She will be traveling for vacation and wants to explore Europe more. She can afford the domestic 200 dollar airfare to Florida for ex. I appreciate everyone's advice!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get both of course! Why limit yourself to one option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.