Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by tom911
Isn't UA charging the same taxes/fees for UK departures/class of service that both AA and BA are?

Yes, you will pay the BA fuel surcharge on awards which can be up to $400 one way from reports I've read, but then you're not paying the additional miles you would to fly Lufthansa across the Atlantic or Singapore across the Pacific in premium classes. Some would say you sort of come out even there when you look at the dollar value of those additional miles you give up as a UA flyer. I've only paid the BA fuel surcharge once and that was on LHR-DUB which was the second segment on HEL-LHR-DUB. Still much cheaper than a paid ticket and a good value for me.
LHR isn't a star hub anymore so few award routings necessitates *transiting* in LHR to pay the PFC.

Going to Asia, the additional miles in J isn't all that big a gap : 70k UA J or 80k Partner J. It's only partner F that's hugely problematic. The generous allowance of stopover more than makes up for the higher mileage requirements in J.

Or take US-Aussie. AA requires a direct routing while UA allows Asia transit as a backup option.

AA miles work better for partner F and very direct straight forward itineraries and can avoid BA/LHR. UA miles work better if you like to make it complex and squeeze every ounce of value.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:27 pm

I find a big con for me is that AA doesn't allow SDC for free for their elites. This is a major benefit for me that I leverage quite a bit with UA.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
AA miles work better for partner F and very direct straight forward itineraries and can avoid BA/LHR. UA miles work better if you like to make it complex and squeeze every ounce of value.
Well, AA miles also work a lot better for partner J as well. ~50% more to fly *A carriers relative to AA/OW carriers.

Agreed on UA miles nicely able to squeeze a bit more out...the stopover adds a 3rd city to all of my vacations.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Well I can say that I have taken the plunge as well.

So far great experiences.

I had one delayed flight which I mentioned in another post somewhere on this site but it was a77w to hkg that went mx at boarding time. The swapped, cleaned, catered, packed, boarded and took off only 2 hours late. WOW! That was some speed.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well, AA miles also work a lot better for partner J as well. ~50% more to fly *A carriers relative to AA/OW carriers.

Agreed on UA miles nicely able to squeeze a bit more out...the stopover adds a 3rd city to all of my vacations.
There's a minor convenience factor about searching. UA's site can search most partners (sans SQ SN LO). AA's site doesn't even allow searching TPE (neither does QF ... You'll have use the slow BA.com)

And there's the noise factor too. anything shown on ANA or AC site is pretty much bookable on UA (rare instances of LH phantom inventory), but CX shows seats for its own members occasionally not bookable by partners, and QF/BA shows routings that are not permitted by AA miles.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

UA allows stopover at virtually any city (DME BNE CPT you name it), while AA (someone correct me here) only allows a 24-hr stopover at the international gateway city per the recent change in policy.
No stopover at all any more, even at the North American gateway. Anything less than 24 hours is just a connection.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
There's a minor convenience factor about searching. UA's site can search most partners (sans SQ SN LO). AA's site doesn't even allow searching TPE (neither does QF ... You'll have use the slow BA.com)
I've been able to book QF flights on AA.com?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I've been able to book QF flights on AA.com?
Yes, but I wasn't referring to that.

Since CX award isn't searchable or bookable on AA.com, I was mentioning alternative oneworld engines that people frequently use to find CX seats, and any caveats to watch out for.

Nothing worse than finding a seat, jumping up and down with joy, then the phone rep tells you a big fat *nope*
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K

Since CX award isn't searchable or bookable on AA.com, I was mentioning alternative oneworld engines that people frequently use to find CX seats, and any caveats to watch out for.

Nothing worse than finding a seat, jumping up and down with joy, then the phone rep tells you a big fat *nope*
Yeah i find that Star is a more mature and well managed alliance than Oneworld, although Oneworld is still better than skyteam (skyteam airlines are all a mess except for DL).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:13 am
Suspended

Yeah i find that Star is a more mature and well managed alliance than Oneworld, although Oneworld is still better than skyteam (skyteam airlines are all a mess except for DL).
I would actually argue that KE is the best skyteam airline (but that's subjective)

I flew KE Y once ICN-JFK and it was the only time in the past 10 years that I was actually impressed by Y-class service. Their regular Y seat was already like 33-34" on a good 3-3-3 config'ed 777 so the seat comfort was very much up there.

Oneworld isn't poorly managed by any stretch. It's just that in the founding days they wanted to make it really exclusive by having 1 crown jewel airline per region (1.5 in east asia). Star chose to pursue breadth and depth while oneworld focused on crown jewels and big business destinations (LHR, NRT, HKG, SYD) but neglected quite some along the way (e.g. ZRH, SIN, YYZ, PVG, ICN).

They've also lost a few in the past decade (CanadianPacific, Mexicana, Malev, Kingfisher) so were forced to play catch up a bit (a lot more equalized now with US QR JJ)

Last edited by 787fan; Jul 16, 2014 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Honestly, not such a bad thing. More seats for those who know how to search. :-:

UA is now removing partners from searches. Booking became TOO easy. Too much of an outflow, exacerbated by the continual airline decline the last couple years.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Honestly, not such a bad thing. More seats for those who know how to search. :-:

UA is now removing partners from searches. Booking became TOO easy. Too much of an outflow, exacerbated by the continual airline decline the last couple years.
SQ was the only one I recall that was purposely removed from the engine. Not that SQ is at the best of terms with UA by any stretch either.

But I give credit to UA's engine for showing results for non-Star partners such as AerLingus and Azul.

And let's not talk about the Cluster-f* that is DL engine.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, along with all the great contributions so far.

I have been contemplating this switch for quite some time and this has been a great read for the various things to consider.

Well done, FTers. ^
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I'm not sure what you mean by this. United is the largest carrier in Star Alliance, and dealing with them does not make a good impression on the alliance.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
LHR isn't a star hub anymore so few award routings necessitates *transiting* in LHR to pay the PFC.

Going to Asia, the additional miles in J isn't all that big a gap : 70k UA J or 80k Partner J. It's only partner F that's hugely problematic. The generous allowance of stopover more than makes up for the higher mileage requirements in J.

Or take US-Aussie. AA requires a direct routing while UA allows Asia transit as a backup option.

Doesn't FRA also have very high PFC? Perhaps a little lower than LHR?

Is there no more *net blocking? That is, no need to search on ANA or AC web site? Unless you want SQ?

I agree that the generous allowance of stopover more than makes up for the higher mileage requirements in J, except in the case when one doesn't want a stopover. In my personal experiences, Less than 1/4 of my award trips have a stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.