Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Downgrade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
My point is that by raising a fuss about a seat trade, you are being exceptionally petty. The only thing you will accomplish is preventing two people from sitting together. There is zero chance that you are going to end up in FC with the downgrader ending up in your seat, since the person giving up their FC seat is only doing so in the hopes of sitting next to their companion.

So the only thing you accomplish by this complaint is to make 3 people less happy than they otherwise could be. Nothing else whatsoever is accomplished by such pettiness, unless you get some perverse joy out of bringing down the happiness level of those around you. Most people get joy from making others more happy, not the other way around. That's why the prevailing opinion here is against you and boca.
^
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:36 am

soccerdad1995....
i'm just saying i really don't think he's wrong...and i think its pretty clear by the rules that he isn't wrong based on seemingly apparent fact that the airline owns the seat and class of service, not the customer...and i'm going to cut him some slack that depending on circumstances he may or may not stand up for himself (everyone is jumping on him for denying uniformed soldiers an fc seat...i don't think he is suggesting that)....my point it he's reserving the right to stand up for himself and so far the responses are:
- "i'd sit in fc and flip u off"
- "u have to be a riot to sit with"
- "do u work in law enforcement for hoa"
- believe there were some other more aggressive responses that have been edited
like, cmon..who's being petty?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Bocastephen, by any chance, do you happen to work as an enforcement officer for an HOA? From your comments, that job seems like it would be a perfect fit for you.

Oh and by the way, there was a story a while back about an entire first class cabin giving up their seats so a group of soldiers coming back from Afghanistan could sit up front. Imagine the horror!

Make sure you write the offending airline and get the FA's / GA's working that flight fired for their complete and utter disregard for your sacred rules!
Aside from the snide personal attacks in the thread, I stand by my opinion and my actions. There is a process to be followed, and if I'm in line for that upgrade, it's not up to a passenger to decide who sits there especially as there is a process for a customer to follow to opt-out of the upgrade either automatically, or after it clears.

If someone is upgraded before they even leave for the airport and they already know they are traveling with someone they want to sit beside, why wait until boarding to sort out the seating? Call UA and have everything adjusted before hand so you're not disrupting the process and can be assured of adjacent seats in Y. If left to the last minute, I have no sympathy, sorry. I also do not companion-upgrade strangers of any kind when I know other customers are on the upgrade standby list, that's just common courtesy.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Boy, I'm missing something here:

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That would be up to the FA, not you. When my seatmate and I raised a fuss over this very issue, the person who tried the swap was unhappy but didn't give up the seat either and the FA was adamant he either sit in his F seat or the GA would assign it to one of us.
From this, HUSBAND wanted to trade his first class seat so he could sit next to wife in economy.

The FA on my flight sure did - she vetoed the request immediately. Husband was not happy, but wife sat in F. Seatmate and I were satisfied the rules were enforced as they should be.
And then the WIFE sat in F.

So the HUSBAND indeed traded with the WIFE.

How can you reconcile that rules must be followed when trading seats with a stranger versus trading seats with a wife? Why were you not just as outraged -- after all that WIFE *still* stole your UG?

I do get the fact that people should just not UG when they know they really want to sit in Y. But what if they don't know until doors close?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryman554
....And then the WIFE sat in F.

So the HUSBAND indeed traded with the WIFE.

How can you reconcile that rules must be followed when trading seats with a stranger versus trading seats with a wife? Why were you not just as outraged -- after all that WIFE *still* stole your UG?
The FA was aware of that trade, and exchanging seats between members of the same family or group has often been discussed here and is approved, provided the swap is for the duration of the flight.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Plat and MM
Aside from the snide personal attacks in the thread, I stand by my opinion and my actions. There is a process to be followed, and if I'm in line for that upgrade, it's not up to a passenger to decide who sits there especially as there is a process for a customer to follow to opt-out of the upgrade either automatically, or after it clears.

If someone is upgraded before they even leave for the airport and they already know they are traveling with someone they want to sit beside, why wait until boarding to sort out the seating? Call UA and have everything adjusted before hand so you're not disrupting the process and can be assured of adjacent seats in Y. If left to the last minute, I have no sympathy, sorry. I also do not companion-upgrade strangers of any kind when I know other customers are on the upgrade standby list, that's just common courtesy.
While you are right that the process should be followed, the OP asked about the etiquette.
The answer to that should be that you do not split your PNR from your spouse, so you do not get upgraded separately from her when you had booked seats together in Y. If, for some reason, you got split and upgraded separately, then the only practical recourse is to swap with the person who got assigned to your seat (which likely happened because you did not follow the etiquette) - you may involve the GA, if she is not too busy, but making her undo seating assignments and moving people around is time consuming and impacts everybody on the plane. So the loss of the upgrade to another person from a person who was ahead of you in the list is a relatively small price to pay for the overall good of the flight.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ButenUnBinnen
While you are right that the process should be followed, the OP asked about the etiquette.
The answer to that should be that you do not split your PNR from your spouse, so you do not get upgraded separately from her when you had booked seats together in Y. If, for some reason, you got split and upgraded separately, then the only practical recourse is to swap with the person who got assigned to your seat (which likely happened because you did not follow the etiquette) - you may involve the GA, if she is not too busy, but making her undo seating assignments and moving people around is time consuming and impacts everybody on the plane. So the loss of the upgrade to another person from a person who was ahead of you in the list is a relatively small price to pay for the overall good of the flight.
If the person was upgraded against their intentions, they should call UA as soon as it happens to request a change back to Y and a seat with their travel companion, not leave it to the end. If they are on the list and not yet cleared, but likely to clear, they should ask the GA to remove them from the list. That is the correct procedure, and really the correct etiquette as well.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
If the person was upgraded against their intentions, they should call UA as soon as it happens to request a change back to Y and a seat with their travel companion, not leave it to the end. If they are on the list and not yet cleared, but likely to clear, they should ask the GA to remove them from the list. That is the correct procedure, and really the correct etiquette as well.
Are you OK with a seat being given away if an upgrade instrument was used, e.g. a RPU/GPU?

On one occasion, I gave my biz seat from NRT to someone who needed it more than me. I didn't ask permission under the presumption that it was my seat since I had paid for it with a GPU, but I did tell a front cabin FA what was going on.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Are you OK with a seat being given away if an upgrade instrument was used, e.g. a RPU/GPU?

On one occasion, I gave my biz seat from NRT to someone who needed it more than me. I didn't ask permission under the presumption that it was my seat since I had paid for it with a GPU, but I did tell a front cabin FA what was going on.
That's an interesting question...I can only offer my opinion because I don't know what UA's policy would be in a case like this, especially in the BF cabin. I would say this - if I was to buy a F seat outright and decide to swap with someone in Y to sit in Y (poor example, I hope no one is dumb enough to do this) with a companion, then I believe I should be able to do so. It was not an upgrade, it's a seat I bought and paid for outright.

For a GPU upgrade in BF, my initial thought is you should not swap with a stranger if there are people on the upgrade list - but more to the point, you should downgrade in advance and request the return of your GPU or miles. If you're swapping with a family member, that's been covered before and is OK to do provided the swap is for the entire trip duration.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
This thread says more about peoples generosity than United's upgrade policy.

I have been known to switch my international biz seat halfway through the flight with my wife. This seems to be borderline acceptable but I never had an FA have an issue with it. However based on some peoples opinion I should fine the next person that was on the upgrade list, which of course isn't going to happen!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
The FA on my flight sure did - she vetoed the request immediately. Husband was not happy, but wife sat in F. Seatmate and I were satisfied the rules were enforced as they should be.
No offense, but that is ridiculous. You prevented a couple from sitting together, and you are still in your same seat. Yet, you are "happy the rules were followed". Sad, sad, sad. Like a two year old, who holds his breath, when angry.
In the streets, they have slogans, about what snitches get...(purely, joking, and only added for humor's sake)
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:24 am

I think one day your position will backfire against you when you need a little slack in the interpretation of the rules. Karma has a way of balancing the world.

Some people are just "mean".
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by scottsam66
No offense, but that is ridiculous. You prevented a couple from sitting together, and you are still in your same seat. Yet, you are "happy the rules were followed". Sad, sad, sad. Like a two year old, who holds his breath, when angry.
In the streets, they have slogans, about what snitches get...(purely, joking, and only added for humor's sake)
Regardless, I was next on the upgrade list and my seatmate appeared to be listed right behind me - if the person did not want their seat, it should have been returned to the upgrade pool, simple as that.

I've written multiple times already about what that person *should* have done well before boarding to ensure they sat with their wife and did not cause a disruption...it seems some folks are more interested in my willingness to speak up vs the factual and logical process that any sensible person in this scenario could and should follow.

Do you feel that a person upgraded before their flight date who wants to sit with their companion should do nothing and wait until boarding to create a disruption vs calling in advance to fix the problem ahead of time?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:32 am

One other angle not hit yet:
Sometimes my wife and I just sit apart on flights, as opposed to playing seat swap:
Not really concerning the op's topic, but does highlight that it's possible that others don't see it as a crime against humanity that a couple might sit apart...especially on shorter flights. Nothing out of spite, and if people want to sit together that's cool...just I know I've been asked to take a clearly worse seat so 2 "businessmen" could sit together, and frankly I politely declined. Again. Not completely on point, but relevant to the kind of first world problem vs atrocity that is being discussed
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:34 am

Regardless, I was next on the upgrade list and my seatmate appeared to be listed right behind me - if the person did not want their seat, it should have been returned to the upgrade pool, simple as that.

I've written multiple times already about what that person *should* have done well before boarding to ensure they sat with their wife and did not cause a disruption...it seems some folks are more interested in my willingness to speak up vs the factual and logical process that any sensible person in this scenario could and should follow.

Do you feel that a person upgraded before their flight date who wants to sit with their companion should do nothing and wait until boarding to create a disruption vs calling in advance to fix the problem ahead of time?
I am guessing you are either:

- Not married\have a partner
- Don't travel with your spouse
- Wouldn't like to sit next to them anyway? Or maybe they wouldn't want to sit next to you!

I can think of many occasions where the GA\FA leave it up to spouses\companions to reorganize themselves in F so they can all sit together. I don't see that this is so different from that except it spans cabins. Like I said before if this scenario happened to me and someone piped up a complaint I would just stay in F, nobody wins but everybody knows who the jerk is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.