Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Downgrade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Where is this process you reference documented?
I have given my seat to soldiers and once a pregnant (7 or 8 months) business woman. The difference being they were passing me in front, so in your scenario you'd be blissfully ignorant of the transaction. It is my seat weather or not I paid or it was an UG. You should MYOB.
No, it is not your seat - and there is a documented process for handling a situation where an upgraded customer prefers to sit in Y - and there is yet another process where a customer can indicate on their reservation that they do not want an upgrade which makes the process that much easier all around.

I will not MYOB when I see customers doing things they should not...I have no problem bringing issues to the attention of agents so they can determine the applicable policy to deal with it. If I am #1 on the UG list and you don't want your seat, then I should be cleared into it, not some random person you decide.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
No, it is not your seat - and there is a documented process for handling a situation where an upgraded customer prefers to sit in Y - and there is yet another process where a customer can indicate on their reservation that they do not want an upgrade which makes the process that much easier all around.

I will not MYOB when I see customers doing things they should not...I have no problem bringing issues to the attention of agents so they can determine the applicable policy to deal with it. If I am #1 on the UG list and you don't want your seat, then I should be cleared into it, not some random person you decide.
If you pulled this stunt, I would just sit in F and give you the finger. Then after the plane took off I would then trade and you would still be stuck in coach. Either my wife, the person I am trading with, or myself are sitting in that seat. In any case, it wouldn't be your butt in that seat.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
If you pulled this stunt, I would just sit in F and give you the finger. Then after the plane took off I would then trade and you would still be stuck in coach. Either my wife, the person I am trading with, or myself are sitting in that seat. In any case, it wouldn't be your butt in that seat.
That would be up to the FA, not you. When my seatmate and I raised a fuss over this very issue, the person who tried the swap was unhappy but didn't give up the seat either and the FA was adamant he either sit in his F seat or the GA would assign it to one of us.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:28 pm

That would be up to the FA, not you. When my seatmate and I raised a fuss over this very issue, the person who tried the swap was unhappy but didn't give up the seat either and the FA was adamant he either sit in his F seat or the GA would assign it to one of us.
To be frank, the FA won't give a crap. The point is to sit next to my wife, if you can't figure out a way for me to sit next to her, then you don't get the seat. If the person that is in the seat I WANT is willing to trade, then I would give up the seat for that. You aren't entitled to it. If you want the seat, then get a higher status or pay more for your ticket or just buy the upgrade.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
To be frank, the FA won't give a crap. The point is to sit next to my wife, if you can't figure out a way for me to sit next to her, then you don't get the seat. If the person that is in the seat I WANT is willing to trade, then I would give up the seat for that. You aren't entitled to it. If you want the seat, then get a higher status or pay more for your ticket or just buy the upgrade.
The FA on my flight sure did - she vetoed the request immediately. Husband was not happy, but wife sat in F. Seatmate and I were satisfied the rules were enforced as they should be.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 9, 2014 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I gave up my FC when I travelled cross country with an employee because

1 I like her
2 I sleep on planes so FC (non-lie flat) or E+ makes little diff to me

The squealer in bulkhead started making that same noise to the FA, Pushed his call button repeatedly (that's a tell tale)..

Squealer...Miss (sic) ....people are illegally swapping in FC!!

FA..Is there a problem with your assigned seat, sir? We will be underway shortly.

^^
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by LTBoston
If the purpose of switching out of F is to sit next to a travel companion, what would be the point of this? You'd end up having to give your F seat to the next person on the upgrade list, who in all probability would not be the person sitting next to your travel companion. So then you'd have to try to engineer a seat swap with THAT person (and we all know how folks feel about seat swaps around these parts) and if they say no, then the whole effort is moot. So you end up staying in F and the next person on the upgrade list doesn't get upgraded anyway.
A practical outlook. ^ 99.9% of GAs out there are far more focused on their duties like getting the plane out on time.

You have to be a riot to sit next to. So assuming a swapper keeps the F (which I presume most would), your scorched earth, by the alleged book attitude nets you nothing. Well other than frustrating multiple people around you. And just so I personally can be clear, I can still do what I want with my paid seat right?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
I'm sure the FAs very favorite thing to do is referee seat wars at the gate. Especially since while sitting a the gate refereeing seat wars, they aren't getting paid.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
I'm sure the FAs very favorite thing to do is referee seat wars at the gate. Especially since while sitting a the gate refereeing seat wars, they aren't getting paid.
It would go like this --- "Mame would you care to sit in MY seat in f/c?"
"Here ya go my seat # is 2B, enjoy!"

"Oh flight attendant, would you kindly ask that gentleman, back their in 42F to please unrufflel his panties, and take his assigned seat, so we can get goin'? "Ya might also want to provide him with a pen and paper so that he can spend the entire flight writing me up for trading seats so I can sit with my lovely wife."
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
Bocastephen, there's been many instances where I gave my seat in first to soldiers in uniform. If you happened to raise a stink about this, the soldier may or may not get to sit in front, you definitely wouldn't be sitting there.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There is no right answer here. But I agree with what the process "should be" - even if not written down. And that's notifying the GA to decline the upgrade. Would I do it? No. But we shouldn't pile on bocastephen because we disagree with his attitude over it. He is correct, even if all of us would do something differently, and even if the UA GA/FAs would look the other way or just say "swap" due to all the work to undo, assign a seat, upgrade, and possibly reassign a seat.

The problem is, that process will result in nobody except #1 on the UG list being happy. Versus three people being happy (the spouse in E+, the F spouse next to him/her, and the person who had the F spouse's seat).

Hence, the passionate views.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:49 am

you can lambaste bocastephen all you want...it doesn't make him wrong.
yes..exceptions for uniformed military are really quite understood and accepted.
but for all the posts on here about how seat assignments and class of service are ultimately owned by the airline and not the passenger, i don't understand why so many people feel justified in demanding that its "their seat" and they'll do whatever they please with it.
i have been on a flight where fa intervened and she simply explained that the airline has a policy for upgrades, and there were 35 people in line for that policy to be followed. no drama from the fa, only from the churlish passenger who threw a mini-tantrum.
and bocastephen isn't "sticking his nose where it doesn't belong", i think he's simply standing up for himself.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Bocastephen, by any chance, do you happen to work as an enforcement officer for an HOA? From your comments, that job seems like it would be a perfect fit for you.

Oh and by the way, there was a story a while back about an entire first class cabin giving up their seats so a group of soldiers coming back from Afghanistan could sit up front. Imagine the horror!

Make sure you write the offending airline and get the FA's / GA's working that flight fired for their complete and utter disregard for your sacred rules!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Plat
No it is not the customer's seat to trade - the proper process is to notify an agent, request to be rebooked in coach so the next person on the upgrade list can be moved up.

I've witnessed this very thing onboard and have spoken up about it on the spot and was supported by the FA (who said "no") and my seatmate, also on the upgrade list with me.
Are you trolling us? It seems clear that there is no circumstance in which you (or whoever is #1 on the upgrade list) wind up with the F seat if you intervene (as others note, the F seat holder undoubtedly says, screw you, I'll just sit here then).

So your rule enforcement makes life just a tiny bit worse for the other 3 people and doesn't get you anything except maybe a bit of schadenfreude. Your utility function is hard to understand here.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
you can lambaste bocastephen all you want...it doesn't make him wrong.
yes..exceptions for uniformed military are really quite understood and accepted.
but for all the posts on here about how seat assignments and class of service are ultimately owned by the airline and not the passenger, i don't understand why so many people feel justified in demanding that its "their seat" and they'll do whatever they please with it.
i have been on a flight where fa intervened and she simply explained that the airline has a policy for upgrades, and there were 35 people in line for that policy to be followed. no drama from the fa, only from the churlish passenger who threw a mini-tantrum.
and bocastephen isn't "sticking his nose where it doesn't belong", i think he's simply standing up for himself.
My point is that by raising a fuss about a seat trade, you are being exceptionally petty. The only thing you will accomplish is preventing two people from sitting together. There is zero chance that you are going to end up in FC with the downgrader ending up in your seat, since the person giving up their FC seat is only doing so in the hopes of sitting next to their companion.

So the only thing you accomplish by this complaint is to make 3 people less happy than they otherwise could be. Nothing else whatsoever is accomplished by such pettiness, unless you get some perverse joy out of bringing down the happiness level of those around you. Most people get joy from making others more happy, not the other way around. That's why the prevailing opinion here is against you and boca.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.