Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Analyst: UA should de-hub IAD; Cuts UAL rating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analyst: UA should de-hub IAD; Cuts UAL rating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Karlson
Originally Posted by usmsbow
Pretty much every government worker I know that flies abroad from IAD is on United, at least for the first leg. More variety domestically though. A lot of feds leave from DCA or BWI, where United isn't very strong, especially compared to USAir/AA in the case of the former and WN at the latter.
Department of State is on Delta contract
As is the Navy Department. goalie-sis was bummed that UA lost the contract to DL but I told her that she should consider herself blessed
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
Right, and their misrepresentation of CLE's profitability are now coming back to bite them. Another credibility hit.

But UA doesn't have all the gov't contrats ex-IAD. Maybe they bid too high?
True though the blame for that lies with management and not the hub itself. I would imagine if AA could get in there (in lieu of CLT and possibly PHL) they'd happily take those government contracts. That being said I don't know enough about the GSA / government contract stuff (I'm not nor have ever been a government work or had a government client as a consultant)

Originally Posted by rzsionak
A good anecdotal analysis of IAD's value is that there are four Asia flights a day; none of which, even the UA one, get much domestic feeder traffic so they are mostly O&D. De-hubbing would shift a lot of passengers to AA since UA wouldn't meet domestic needs for passengers in the area.

IMO, a better strategy would be to utilize IAD to run connecting passengers up and down the east coast via props and RJs which could work to fill the holes in the SE and shift EWR to larger planes for more O&D traffic and international flights. IAD has much more room for runway growth and there are almost never congestion delays there. This would work to pull business that currently uses US' CLT and PHL hubs, while freeing up EWR for higher value flights.
Let's not forget this is also a big prestige route for the internationals so there is some opportunity for feeder traffic coming from OALs. It's not huge since most business traffic on those OALs is likely going directly to the city where their business occurs but it's still some portion of travelers.

Don't forget that UA shares revenue via the JV with LH (and I assume perhaps incorrectly OS under the LH umbrella) which accounts for an additional batch of flights which can fill feeders on both sides.

If you had to rank SE / Southern hubs I would think it's:

1) ATL
2) IAD

3) MIA / CLT
4) CLT

Big gap between the first 2 and the second 2.

ATL beats IAD because it has greater O&D traffic and is also well positioned for connecting traffic to both the middle of the country and the rest of the SE.

MIA and CLT is debatable - MIA has a lot more O&D traffic and is a better feeder to South America. CLT is better positioned for connecting traffic and is also a bit closer to Europe.

In any case IAD is a clear #2 for a SE hub. Even if you argue that EWR makes IAD unnecessary for TATL and TPACs what about the entire SE (or what there is now that US is gone)? If you take out IAD everything has to connect via IAH, ORD, or EWR (which is a non-starter due to capacity issues).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Well agreed it seems because EWR is a much better Hub than IAD.

If UA could focus its prime hubs
East Coast : EWR
Southern Latam Connection: IAH
Mid USA: ORD
West Coast: SFO

That should be the best set up
I'm sorry - in what alternate universe is that the best setup? And in what way is the horribly overcrowded, delayed every time a gnat sneezes, incredibly rude and obnoxious EWR a better hub than IAD?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Well agreed it seems because EWR is a much better Hub than IAD.

If UA could focus its prime hubs
East Coast : EWR
Southern Latam Connection: IAH
Mid USA: ORD
West Coast: SFO

That should be the best set up
I would not be surprised to see this happen! United is unable to compete anymore due to its service since it merged with CO. I much easier connecting through IAD on PMUA as I always had three class service on widbodies to Europe. It was much better than the 757 or two class 777 I had to fly out of EWR! I wouldn't be surprised though to see that list drop ORD as well! American can easily come out as number one there to. It will almost be like CO never merged with anyone,and they fall back to there fortress hubs in IAH and EWR where they do not have to compete with their poor sCO style service!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Karlson
if only we can get pmua back. Connecting to and from Europe is hell in EWR.
EWR is a disaster? It cant take the traffic it has it will never be able to add IAD.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:21 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Actually I think it should be the reverse. Burn in hell, EWR. I've hated that delay-prone surly hellhole since birth. It's seriously a GD mess and doesn't have the proper infrastructure logistics to be a true hub.
Please don't hold back, REPUBLIC757. How do you really feel about EWR?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
If you had to rank SE / Southern hubs I would think it's:

1) ATL
2) IAD

3) MIA / CLT
4) CLT
i know it is a matter of opinion, but IAD is not a SE/Southern Hub.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA3MMbis 1K, AA3½MMbis Plat, AF1MMbis, BonvoyLTT
Originally Posted by CLEContinental

AirJeff is a complete trainwreck and sadly as soon as the economy hits a rough patch, you'll see them headed right to CH11.
I'm trying to popularize 'planewreck' in place of 'trainwreck', for the peculiar-yet-compelling, slow-motion spectacle that is Smi/J's UA management.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:31 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Actually I think it should be the reverse.
This is not the worst idea ever. If one accepts the premise that one hub needs to go, then wouldn't the logical move be to keep as a hub the airport that has less congested airspace, runway space and more freely available slots? (Also, as DTW and MSP show, a hub doesn't have to be in a city with a ton of O/D traffic. But O/D certainly helps, and Washington has a good amount.

Replace redundant connecting and regional flights with larger equipment and send connecting passengers via IAD. Retain presence in EWR with P.S. flights and use the scarce space in New York to focus on the highest yielding nonstops.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by haddon90
i know it is a matter of opinion, but IAD is not a SE/Southern Hub.
I believe it lies within the former Confederate States of America, so I think it can be referred to as the South. Can you provide a link to an official definition, or are you just saying this based on what you think it is? And since you say it is a matter of opinion - why the definitive statement, "IAD is not..."?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Bingo

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:35 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by sfo3388
AA keeps JFK and PHL. How come UA can't keep EWR and IAD?
Sure, but the situation is different. JFK was never the big regional hub for AA the way PHL was for US. What you'll see is JFK as an international/transcon hub, while PHL will continue to be a regional hub. I think you would see AA dehub PHL, but they are constrained at JFK.

For UA, EWR and IAD are both trying to be everything for the east coast. The big hole in UA's domestic network is in the south. AA has CLT, DL has ATL, but UA doesn't have anything between IAH and IAD. Neither pmUA or pmCO were very strong in that market and IAD doesn't make sense if you're trying to get from New Orleans to Orlando.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
uth America. CLT is better positioned for connecting traffic and is also a bit closer to Europe.
MIA/CLT is no contest. CLT is nearly all generated traffic; MIA has significant O/D. I believe AA even said it was their most profitable hub.

AA owns the Latin and Caribbean traffic out of there, and it's a logical connecting point for the pretty much the entire country.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
This all makes me wonder whether UA or analysts actually have any real metrics by which to evaluate hubs. We know there's a lot of complexity, and raw traffic numbers don't tell the whole story. De-hub a city, and you stand to lose more than the raw passenger numbers, because everyone at a schedule-shifted spoke starts re-evaluating loyalties. Decrease network capacity, and you lose future opportunity as well.

Anyhow, my point is not to point out the complexities of de-hubbing, but rather to question whether the airline even has reliable metrics to determine whether a hub is actually contributing value in excess of its costs, or whether they're gazing into crystal balls based on their understanding (or misunderstanding) of how the airline business is supposed to work...

To wit:

United executives have told him that they believe Dulles is profitable.

Data filed with the U.S. Transportation Department "suggests that if Cleveland was generating losses, than IAD is likely less profitable than was Cleveland."
If one or more UA execs actually said the words "they believe" that it's profitable, that's a HUGE red flag right there. And it also would seem to be in-line with the inconsistencies of pmCO saying CLE was one of its most profitable hubs, then a handful of years later, merged UA saying it was losing money hand-over-fist for a decade. (And then, coincidentally, losing almost exactly enough money on paper to satisfy the merger condition with the state of Ohio to close the hub.)

Reading this stuff every 6 months or so, it increasingly sounds like UA and its analysts completely and totally lack the objective metrics to correctly evaluate the bottom-line contribution of a hub. They're quite possibly just looking at relative costs and saying "well, this is disproportionately expensive, cut it" and then bravely hoping that revenue doesn't decrease more than savings. By allocating various direct and feed costs to the hub and all revenue other than O/D to the spoke destinations, I'm pretty sure you could (legally) make a hub's on-paper profitability appear whatever you want it to be.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by channa
MIA/CLT is no contest. CLT is nearly all generated traffic; MIA has significant O/D. I believe AA even said it was their most profitable hub.

AA owns the Latin and Caribbean traffic out of there, and it's a logical connecting point for the pretty much the entire country.
Yup. If one looks at a map of South America relative to Miami, it's a no brainer why Pan Am set up their South American hub there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.