Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Analyst: UA should de-hub IAD; Cuts UAL rating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analyst: UA should de-hub IAD; Cuts UAL rating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by DErg
Yes the UA C/D concourses are a dump but how much time do you really spend in them? I fly through Dulles very regularly and can say that the other concourses are all nicely renovated and if you have a layover in excess of 90 minutes just head to the LH lounge in B which is well up to modern standards.
It is a dump. Modern standards compared to what?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by exerda
Here's a fact: no airline has ever shrunk itself to profitability, and UA would be repeating history's failures to think they can do so.
Let's start with Delta, American, United . . . the fact is that the list of carriers that have cut to profitability is large.

But UA cutting IAD seems ridiculous. It's an O&D stronghold that would be dumb to give up for nothing.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Let's start with Delta, American, United . . . the fact is that the list of carriers that have cut to profitability is large.

But UA cutting IAD seems ridiculous. It's an O&D stronghold that would be dumb to give up for nothing.
AA didn't cut to profitability. AA cut themselves right into bankruptcy.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by minnyfly

Just fly nothing but RJ's, and it is a win-win. Jersey baby.

Lets see the numbers next month on Wall Street.

DL, AA, WN look good. UA .... let's see.

Perhaps this current CEO has some magic to pull out of his hat?

Time will tell.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by DErg
Yes the UA C/D concourses are a dump but how much time do you really spend in them? I fly through Dulles very regularly and can say that the other concourses are all nicely renovated and if you have a layover in excess of 90 minutes just head to the LH lounge in B which is well up to modern standards.
C/D replacement is overdue. But once it's done, IAD will be a solid airport.

If we assume growth then I can't see how "go with EWR" is an answer given that EWR can't handle its load even now. UA will need another hub in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. I don't see what other candidate there is other than IAD.

The popularity of DCA is completely besides the point as "Go with DCA" isn't an answer either because you won't have pax arrive from Frankfurt, London, Brussels, Istanbul etc. at DCA and the long-haul business is a huge part of UA's business. The reason DCA is popular is also the reason it's approaching its ceiling - its location. No major player will turn DCA into a real hub.

And it's not feasible for the region or for any airline to run a "IAD to DCA transfer" operation on a large scale.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by am1108
X3.

Originally Posted by halls120
Wrong. Right now, UA has 60+% of the IAD traffic. Cut back flights, and the passengers will go to the competition, who will step up and fill the gap.
Exactly. And when that happens, all the anti-Smisek people will be blaming him for that loss of business.

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Do you ever fly through/to/from the UA operation at IAD? It's dreadful. Think third world landfill dreadful/horrible. It's an absolute dump. No-one who flies to/from/through IAD can possibly have a great experience.
Yes, it is a dump. But people still fly UA out of IAD, so it's obviously not much of a deterrent.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by kettle1
EWR?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
UA leaves, someone will come in and that airline will be my new airline.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
UA leaves, someone will come in and that airline will be my new airline.
Right now it's looking like Frontier...
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
what was the point of the merger

If you close major UA hubs? Surely UA had an international operation at IAD comparable to CO's at Newark with bigger aircraft many of which it has now moved to Jersey.

Last edited by iquitos; Jun 28, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Compared to most US Domestic terminals that have been built in the past decade or so. IAD B terminal is better in my opinion than LAX, EWR, MIA and parts of JFK off the top of my head. If you care about being in a nicer more modern terminal while waiting for your flight just go there to the B concourse and enjoy the LH lounge while you're there. It's a quick and easy train ride from C/D that will take less than 10 minutes.

Personally I minimize the time spent in airports as much as possible, my objective is to get to the airport no more than 45 minutes before departure and keep all layover between 60 and 120 minutes. Given my goals the C/D concourses being a dump doesn't bother me much since often I will spend a matter of minutes in them as I walk up to my already boarding flight and board.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Analysts are really good at looking backwards. If you trust an analyst to look forward, you get what you deserve.
If analysts knew what they were talking about, they wouldn't have to work as analysts.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Agree. Last time I was there, men's room was out of service and trash was everywhere. Global First Lounge nicer
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
Wrong. Right now, UA has 60+% of the IAD traffic. Cut back flights, and the passengers will go to the competition, who will step up and fill the gap.
What's the originating traffic figure for UA at IAD?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The "analyst" is a fool:

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/airfares.../table_10.html

So they are advising UA to dump the #3 airfare airport in the country that is also in the top 6 of the O/D markets?

I have a bridge to sell UA too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.