Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Spotted today: UA cabin crew playing piano for tips at ORD C-17?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spotted today: UA cabin crew playing piano for tips at ORD C-17?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
I have seen a United pilot playing that piano more than once. He's very good but I did not see a tip jar present during his impromptu concerts.
I quite enjoy the wine bar there and have personally seen UA crew playing at least three times in the past few months. Just a few songs and then they would move on - I thought it was cool.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: UAL 1K 2MM
Stranded in STL due to weather and a UAL gate agent was playing piano in an effort to keep all of the stranded people entertained while another agent worked out my hotel voucher.

Ah. The good ole days.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
Since Jeff is ripping out IFE from so many planes, I'll take the entertainment where I can get it. More power to them.
LOL, absolutely! ^
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
We always knew there was talent at United. Glad the ORD people was able to see it.

I hope there is a tip jar. Where they decide it goes is their decision.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:55 am

What difference does it make ? If somone wants to put 'bread in his jar' so be it.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by United_727
What difference does it make ? If somone wants to put 'bread in his jar' so be it.
Presumably he's not being paid to be in the airport then, so who cares if he earns a little extra. The junior FA's aren't exactly raking in it. In fact, I have a friend who's a rather talented musician working as a United FA, I may just suggest this to him.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:03 am

I've seen a UA pilot at this piano and also a UA pilot with a guitar playing in another airport. As far as the tip jar, who cares, I mean really. That type of complaint belongs in the "Least substantive thing to whine about" thread.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Oh my. Some fellow FTers have a short fuse when it comes to guarding the 'honor' of this virtual gathering of frequent fliers by flaming away.

I did not mean to insult anyone in my original posting. Why should one assume that my suggestion that a musician might be collecting tips would be insulting?

I was also clear about what I saw, and about what I was uncertain of. I was enroute to a connecting gate and did not have time to stop at C-17 and fully document the scene - taking photos, interviewing witnesses, etc.

FT is not a police procedural drama, and my post was not meant to be entered into evidence in a court of law. That's why I ended the post with questions, which were genuine, and not inflammatory. When I asked about others witnessing such displays of talent, I was not being snarky. Had I been leaving from that gate, I would have contributed a dollar to the crew member who shared his musical talents with the traveling public.

My observation from some reactions to this post is that too much flying, at least on UA, can make one jump to the worst possible conclusion about others.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:28 am

I'll sit and play the piano during delays, etc. for PAX. They always seem to enjoy it.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I'll sit and play the piano during delays, etc. for PAX. They always seem to enjoy it.
^^
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lesliegolf
Stranded in STL due to weather and a UAL gate agent was playing piano in an effort to keep all of the stranded people entertained while another agent worked out my hotel voucher.

Ah. The good ole days.
There's an agent at STL who was really gruff and surly when I dealt with him at the ticket counter last year. Ten minutes later he was playing a beautiful piece on the grand piano at the nearby wine bar on his break. It didn't excuse his poor demeanor, but was definitely humanizing in a jarring way.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by transportprof
Oh my. Some fellow FTers have a short fuse when it comes to guarding the 'honor' of this virtual gathering of frequent fliers by flaming away.

I did not mean to insult anyone in my original posting. Why should one assume that my suggestion that a musician might be collecting tips would be insulting?

I was also clear about what I saw, and about what I was uncertain of. I was enroute to a connecting gate and did not have time to stop at C-17 and fully document the scene - taking photos, interviewing witnesses, etc.

FT is not a police procedural drama, and my post was not meant to be entered into evidence in a court of law. That's why I ended the post with questions, which were genuine, and not inflammatory. When I asked about others witnessing such displays of talent, I was not being snarky. Had I been leaving from that gate, I would have contributed a dollar to the crew member who shared his musical talents with the traveling public.

My observation from some reactions to this post is that too much flying, at least on UA, can make one jump to the worst possible conclusion about others.
The title of your thread was: Spotted today: UA cabin crew playing piano for tips at ORD C-17?

Did you see a tip jar? No.

The title should read: Spotted today: UA cabin crew playing piano at ORD C-17?

That's it. Just the facts. This is the Court of FT - Guilty.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Concerto @ ORD C-17; no doubt about the tipping today

I know it's been a while, but today I have a flight going out of C-17 at ORD, which enables me to enjoy the piano concerto being delivered as I type this.

I caught a lot of flack in this thread earlier when I posted suggesting that the piano player was collecting tips in a jar.

Today I can confirm that the piano man is in a flight crew uniform with pilot's laurel on the brim of his hat. But it doesn't appear to be the UA colors. Perhaps it is a UX uniform?

I can also confirm that there is no tip jar, but there is a pile of greenbacks on the piano that have been deposited by passersby.

Please do not read any criticism on my part into this report update. But since we are a community based on factual knowledge about airline travel , I thought it was worth setting the record straight.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by StingWest
Maybe PanAm? But this was a long time ago - maybe in the 70's?
What??? The 70s was just yesterday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.