Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is your CPU success IAH-DEN Dreamliner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your CPU success IAH-DEN Dreamliner?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:18 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Smile What is your CPU success IAH-DEN Dreamliner?

I apologize, but my "search forum" tool did not work, so I could not find this info. posted elsewhere.

Anyway, I am particularly asking 1Ks to reply please. (However, at Baze's suggestion later in this thread, it WOULD also be helpful if Plats and Golds also report their success in CPUs, because if they get them, then 1Ks will.)

There are likely many persons who fly this route, or who would like to fly on the Dreamliner (787), who would like to read about CPU success. I hope that this thread can elicit some valuable feedback about CPUs that many who will fly this route will find helpful.

I have not flown on the Dreamliner and need to go IAH-DEN on a personal trip with an elderly relative I am taking there in October on a Thursday. The flights leave at 9 am.

What are your experiences with CPUs on JUST this IAH-DEN leg of the Dreamliner's voyage west? Was your flight recent, say within the last 6 months?

Is Wednesday any better?

What fare basis did you book? I am looking at booking a T fare. Any luck with CPUs with this fare? If not, what about S or W? (I have so far not seen any lower fares than a T fare offered on this IAH-DEN on the Dreamliner).

Also, what is your experience with companion CPUs on this leg?

I appreciate your replies. Happy flying.

Last edited by mkr; Jun 24, 2014 at 3:19 pm Reason: grammar, more clarity, include Baze's suggestion
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My wife and I are both Silvers and we got the CPU on ORD-IAH 787 about a year ago....seemed like an easy upgrade at the time...definitely would not "upfare" for this.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
1 for 1 IAH to DEN, and it was a mid-week flight. I was surprised how long the waitlist ended up being that particular day - I think a lot of people book the flight not only because of 1) chance of lie-flat CPU, but 2) new plane 2) AVOD if CPU doesn't come thru. Silvers probably did not get up front. And probably not Golds. Lot of domestic-flying, mid- to low-Premier level oil trash traffic between that city pair.

Just found fare basis in my activity - ZS, so S

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:33 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Thanks PDX Premier, but I am asking SPECIFICALLY about the IAH-DEN Dreamliner, which stops in DEN to pick up more passengers headed west to Japan.

I appreciate your reply, and I am also asking about fare basis.

Last edited by mkr; Jun 23, 2014 at 6:20 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:18 am

Can't remember exact fare class without going back in my account activity, but want to say it was at least a W and on a Tuesday flight heading to DEN, I was not upgraded. Remember being 4 or 5 on the list if I recall.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:26 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dank0014
Can't remember exact fare class without going back in my account activity, but want to say it was at least a W and on a Tuesday flight heading to DEN, I was not upgraded. Remember being 4 or 5 on the list if I recall.
Thanks dank0014. And this was JUST the IAH-DEN leg you flew, not from another origin? And this was the Dreamliner you flew, just to double check?
Was it recent?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
IAH-DEN/DEN-IAH have to be a couple of the most elite-heavy routes in the system, and the Dreamliner is very sought after, based on some of the upgrade lists that I've seen. If you want FC on that run, I would suggest snagging P, as recently I've paid < $800 RT for it. For example, on 10/9, OW economy is $359 and OW FC (P) is $389 on the 788. Total and complete no brainer.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks dank0014. And this was JUST the IAH-DEN leg you flew, not from another origin? And this was the Dreamliner you flew, just to double check?
Was it recent?

Thanks.
Yes for that part of the segment it was IAH - DEN. The flight was mid May, so just over a month ago.

I haven't flown it enough to really comment, but I would say this is one of those routes where it will depend how many paxes, specifically outside of Y are continuing on internationally, thus limiting the amount of available seats. I think there were only 3 seats available for upgrade @ T-72.

Also, just took a glance at the flight status for tomorrows flight, and it shows 30/36 booked, and 30 on the upgrade waitlist that have checked in so far. This was pretty similar to what I remember.

Also, just looked back and it was a V class ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dank0014
...I haven't flown it enough to really comment, but I would say this is one of those routes where it will depend how many paxes, specifically outside of Y are continuing on internationally, thus limiting the amount of available seats.....
I haven't flown it enough to comment, but that's hardly a reason not to . On my flight, it didn't appear there were a whole lot of F cabin pax heading to NRT. IAH has 2 daily NRT non-stops and I would think very few would want to do this flight for a 2 hour layover at DEN.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:02 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonehead
IAH-DEN/DEN-IAH have to be a couple of the most elite-heavy routes in the system, and the Dreamliner is very sought after, based on some of the upgrade lists that I've seen. If you want FC on that run, I would suggest snagging P, as recently I've paid < $800 RT for it. YMMV.
Thanks Bonehead. I appreciate the input from a Premier Platinum (according to your FTer profile). Yes, I have monitored the First Class upgrade lists on IAH-DEN Dreamliner, and also return, and have noticed very many persons on the lists.

That is what prompted me to begin this thread.

As I noted in the beginning of this thread, I am asking specifically for the recent CPU experiences and what fare basis got the CPUS. I do not know about P fare availability when I am ready to book. When I priced it, P was $471 more than T fare. I do not want to spend so much on this personal trip.

I also am asking about experiences with complimentary companion upgrades on this IAH-DEN leg.

Last edited by mkr; Jun 23, 2014 at 6:33 pm Reason: edit for clarity and remove misleading language
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mkr
Thanks Bonehead. I appreciate the input from a Premier Platinum (according to your FTer profile). Yes, I have monitored the First Class upgrade lists on IAH-DEN Dreamliner, and also return, and have noticed very many persons on the lists.

That is what prompted me to begin this thread.

HOWEVER, as I noted in the beginning of this thread, I am asking SPECIFICALLY for the recent CPU experiences of 1Ks on the IAH-DEN Dreamliner, whom as you are aware would be given a CPU before Platinums.

I also am asking 1Ks with their experience with complimentary companion upgrades on this IAH-DEN leg.
We are 3 for 3 on the 787, IAH-DEN, in the last 4 months. All on T-fares. Wife is 1K too, so can't give you any advice on the companion question.

The flights have been packed. Even E+ was sold-out on our flights. Our UGs occurred at the 96 hour window.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I am 1K.

I am 1/1 from IAH-DEN.

Cleared with a CPU at 24 hours.

No companion.

Friday.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:33 pm
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I am 1K.

I am 1/1 from IAH-DEN.

Cleared with a CPU at 24 hours.

No companion.

Friday.
Thanks MatthewLAX, for your reply. What was your fare code?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
This is where I wish diditclear.com made it even easier to post upgrade information.

https://www.diditclear.com/legs/do_s...Bairline%5D=UA
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I'm 1-1, but I SDC'ed to another flight and didn't use the upgrade. I believe it was on a Sunday (definitely a weekend). Not sure what the fare basis was.

I know you didn't ask, but I'm 0-3 or 0-4 on DEN-IAH on the 787.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.