Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA transfer desk (airside in SIN? Overnight connection from other airline)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:22 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver

I am thinking of flying into SIN on Air Asia and staying airside at the Ambassador Hotel, will be departing the next morning on UA at 0600. Is there a transfer desk airside or if not, if I print out my BP will that be all I will need to do, as I have only carry-on, or will I need to exit through immigration and customs and then check-in with UA. I do know that sometimes even though you have done OLCI they want you to get a stamp on your BP before going through customs and security. Anyone have any experience doing what I would like to do?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 22, 2014 at 4:33 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There is a transfer desk airside. Just take the train to T3, get your room then visit the transfer desk early the next morning.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:50 pm
sfo
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
There is a transfer desk airside. Just take the train to T3, get your room then visit the transfer desk early the next morning.
Thanks for the reply^
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
UA transfer desk (in SIN? Overnight connection from other airline)

The UA transfer desk opens either at 0330 or 0400. They'll retag your bag if the previous airline had transferred it to them.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Just three points to note.

1. AirAsia operates from Terminal 1, while UA operates from Terminal 3. To get from one to the other you can take the skytrain (there's one that runs airside, another that runs groundside). This is reiterating what the other poster said.
2. If you change your mind on the baggage and end up checking bags with AirAsia, note you will need to go through Sing Immigration and Customs to retrieve your bag and then check in with UA ground side - AirAsia does not interline.
3. If you don't have any check in bags and therefore stay airside throughout, note that the transfer desk you need for UA is in Terminal 3, not Terminal 1. The transit desk is on the way to the gates that UA typically uses from UA's contract lounge.

All this is possible because at Changi Airport, there's no separation between inbound and outbound passengers airside.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sannmann
The UA transfer desk opens either at 0330 or 0400. They'll retag your bag if the previous airline had transferred it to them.
Air Asia will not tag a bag.

The transfer desk will re-tag a bag at 3am that came off of another carrier's belt at 12am, and wasnt picked up, I dont think so.

And... irrelevant, as OP has carryon only
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:50 pm
sfo
Original Poster

thanks for all the information, I will have only a carry on so that is not a problem. I am staying in T3 on my way to KL so pretty know what I need to do on the return. Just was not sure if I had to leave airside or not, will head to the transfer desk when I wake up.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you do go land side, you will not be able to re-enter airside until the UA check in counter opens.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:48 am
sfo
Original Poster

Transitting at SIN

Will arrive SIN from KUL and will spend the night airside at the transit hotel. I notice that UA has a transfer desk located airside in T3. I will be flying on the UA 6am departure to HKG, is the transfer desk open and available for check-in, only carry-on, and if so how early do I need to check-in?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
The checkinn is open at 03:15am, so I think the transferdesk will also open at that time.
It is not open for 24hours, as the SQ.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Yes. You can check in at the transfer desk for your UA flight. I have noticed walking by there at that time recently people waiting in line about 90 minutes prior to the 6am flight. Lines can be long (especially for economy). Not sure exactly when UA staffs the transit desk these days, but I would get there no later than 75 minutes prior to departure.

Another option if you don't want to play the transit desk waiting game is go through immigration and check-in at the UA counters. Since you are traveling with only carry-ons, this option would be very quick and painless and could be better (faster, less stressful) than waiting for the transit desk to open and deal with that. It depends on class of service, etc. for the time it would take.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Weird, I have never seen anyone waiting in line at the transfer desk -- I mean nobody as in the agents are just sitting around waiting for the next pax.
If you want to stay at the Transit Hotel do not go thru immigration.
I do this 3-6x a year and it is truly painless. Just swing by the desk on the way to your flight. SIN is the most convenient airport in the world by far.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by chavala
Weird, I have never seen anyone waiting in line at the transfer desk -- I mean nobody as in the agents are just sitting around waiting for the next pax.
If you want to stay at the Transit Hotel do not go thru immigration.
I do this 3-6x a year and it is truly painless. Just swing by the desk on the way to your flight. SIN is the most convenient airport in the world by far.
I have on several occasions walking by while flying SQ (I am through SIN at least 10x a year...not on UA anymore). Speaking of that, I was flying with colleagues the other month. Both flying on UA transiting. One, decided to do what I mentioned (done this many times in the past when I flew UA) about going through immigration the other waited for the transit desk. I told them to meet me in the SK lounge. Guess which one made it up there first? The one that went through immigration.....YMMV....
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Transitting at SIN

Did this exact situation w my wife a few months ago. if i recall we left the transit hotel around 430a, picked up our boarding passes at the transit desk and grabbed a quick breakfast at the SQ lounge. Was a very easy process
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:49 am
sfo
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies I do appreciate them. Will be flying BC so that might make it a bit quicker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.