Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Another justification I've heard, which I actually buy a bit, is they want to model themselves after hotel programs.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Now that I see the math, and AA to hop on board soon, where is everyone off too?
Just because another FFP does this doesn't mean you shouldn't fly that airline. The airline choice should never be just about the FFP. At least AA and DL (especially DL) are putting money into their product and expanding. While United is shrinking and devaluing.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:51 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by mozilla
Just saw the full webpage now as well . Apparently it has been published just a few moments ago.

At least an enhancement that is not unexpected, but it's not a "change that I will like".

Also, this program update will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide and it will also apply to tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline when the ticket number starts with "016." Tickets for flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline that aren’t issued by United (ticket numbers that don’t start with “016”) will still earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class.
So the current 1K 100 percent RDM bonus earned by UA elites on LH and will no longer apply?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
With no more MRs, especially on weekends to not disturb work schedule, now I'll have more time for friends and family?!??
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
So YTD I have 36,522 PQM, and $4,704 PQD. That means I earned 73,044 RDM under the current rules, and would have earned 51,744 RDM under the new rules as a 1K.

So about a 30% devaluation on number of flight miles, or about 15% on miles overall since I get half of them from CC spend.

With DL doing the same thing, it really comes down to saver award availability. DL's Achilles heel has always been the price of their awards, but they're promising lower pricing once the new earning kicks in.

Since Mileage Plus was about the ONLY thing UA had going for it over DL, if UA brings Mileage Plus in line with Skypesos, there's really no reason for me to stick with UA.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by chongcao
So if cabin crew did not like changes, they strike; pilots' benefits were cut, they strike; ground handlers funds were cut, they strike...

How about a UA Frequent Flyer strike?

That is, to ask all UA members to not fly on UA metal on 1st March 2015 to stage your anger!

To do this is simple, ask members here to try to avoid travel on UA on 1st March. And if you do need to travel on 1st March, try to use another FFP number or simple take the UA number out and retro claim.

Nothing can be achieved through this but only a small message to UA and to get some publicity.
I proposed something similar in the last round of devaluations and basically got made a pariah. Slams against my character, personal attacks which the mods happily allowed to stand, all because I said to get away from United and its silliness. Some FTers said, in cursing me out, "How dare" I "suggest people change their travel routine to 'punish an airline'?"

Well, fine. Just because y'all are gluttons for punishment doesn't mean I am. I have switched away, and I can tell you, the "strike" I've started against United is going along swimmingly. I am so glad I did it. Buying the cabin you can afford and not worrying about status is sooooooo refreshing. Sometimes it's coach, sometimes it's biz, and sometimes it's first. And that's the way it should be. Jeffro thinks you can't do any better than United. I'm happy to prove to him he's dead wrong. Sad that many others don't share that sentiment because if they did, a lot of these changes would have been rolled back real quick, or we'd be talking about liquidation by now.

TL;DR: good luck with that.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
So the current 1K 100 percent RDM bonus earned by UA elites on LH and will no longer apply?
This is going to introduce some weird holes in the system which may drive revenue away from United. Purchase a cheaper non 016 ticket for less and earn more miles, yes please...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by clockhand
With no more MRs, especially on weekends to not disturb work schedule, now I'll have more time for friends and family?!??
And that's good?
With my F&F sounds like another negative!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat and MM
Merger comin

Originally Posted by edcho
Maybe they are planning to merge with DL .
Indeed, they just have to sink the stock price first, so that Delta can pick up UAL for a nickel on the dollar. SMI/J will receive a huge golden parachute as a reward and we as FFs are happy to receive DL service quality
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum
It is stunning to me how quickly they have devalued the MP program. Every change they have made to the program over the last year and a half has drastically reduced my incentive to fly UA. With the redemption devaluation, PQDs, and this, my flying patterns will look very different in 2015.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by raehl311
With DL doing the same thing, it really comes down to saver award availability. DL's Achilles heel has always been the price of their awards, but they're promising lower pricing once the new earning kicks in.
DL is going to use a FIVE-tier award chart starting next year. Good luck to whoever wishes to find lowest-tier availability.

If anyone is familiar with what DL's been doing in the past few years she should have a good idea whether the "promises" made by DL have any sort of credibility.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ButenUnBinnen
Indeed, they just have to sink the stock price first, so that Delta can pick up UAL for a nickel on the dollar. SMI/J will receive a huge golden parachute as a reward and we as FFs are happy to receive DL service quality
There is absolutely no way the DOJ would let DL buy UA. UA would only be sold if it were to fall as far as Pan Am did by the end, and the pieces of UA (route authorities, LHR/EWR/JFK slots, hubs, etc.) were sold off. And then, WN or B6 or VX or someone would have to step into that gap, AA/DL as the only larger network airlines would leave too much opportunity for a third player to step up and disrupt that new paradigm.

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
This is a big benefit for my travel patterns, but I expect we'll be paying more miles for award tickets. My last LHR-IAH trip was about $6700 PQDs and I earned about 26,600 RDMs as a 1K on a C fare. According to the calculator, I will now earn 73,700 RDMs or possibly hit the 75k cap depending on class of service bonus so I'm earning almost 3 times as many RDMs.

My predictionis they will add a 3rd tier to the redemption options. They will keep the saver award level, but availability will be next to impossible to find. They'll have a new intermediate tier with availability on par with current saver award availability and then keep the standard award level with slightly inflated mileage redemption levels to what they currently have.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by villox
Or, they think that someone who is willing to spend $6800 on United isn't really going to care about the number of RDMs they get and figure 75k is already more than they get now.
As someone who flys quite a bit of last minute international, I definitely don't agree.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Does Spirit even have a FFP?
Sort of. But it's quite pitiful.

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
My other frequent airline is WN, and they have a similar formula, which also counts for status. I do very well with them on points traveling MDW-Midwest locations, but I don't fly them West, because I can net more UA miles.
Yeah, it will be interesting to watch how WN benefits from all this. UA screws you on the earning and also screws you on the partner redemption within a few months.

For international redemption on UA, just manufacture spend and accrue UR at 5x as much as possible. For domestic travel, having the WN Companion Pass starts to look better all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.