Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
so my stupid CVG-EWR one way segment i booked yesterday for $450 dollars (B fare or something like that) next week is now netting me 4950 RDM instead of 1500.

i find myself stuck on short midcons on last minute fares a lot (my back is probably thrown out by now from RJ hell) and it's not because i want to, that's just where my customers are and it's the nature of my job, so it's just the situation i'm in. i do find it annoying when i'm stuck on $1000+ RT's to places like CVG, DSM, CLE, etc., and just get like 1500 RDM for it. everyone's situation is different, but that's the one i'm always in.

the system overall seems annoying for all my personal trips, it seems better for me (personally at least) for all my work trips. which is the brunt of my flying.

shrug. so many changes in the last couple years i'm just kind of numb and shellshocked now.

In the same boat. However, it's still annoying that we end up with this mismatched program where RDM are based on money spent, but PQM are based on distance traveled. I'm going to forever be stuck in this no-man-land where I get "stuck" at gold, despite spending ~$15k a year
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by compwhiz
I can imagine that people who regularly buy TATL/TPAC C/D/J/F fares will rejoice - each trip guarantees them 75k RDM! That's the change they like!
I usually do TPAC in C/J, but I'm not rejoicing. UA has been pushing too many changes and inconsistent about its product (not to mention sub-par product). Even though my flying is all OPM, this year I've reduced flying to just meet 1K. Next year I'm not even sure if I'll bother with 1K, might as well switch to ME3 or other decent carriers who offer superior product and value my business.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
do we get 100% of the fare paid or not? this hasn't been answered. We were fooled with PQD, now what about RDM
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Here is break-even point for cents per mile for flyer flying exactly at the PQM thresholds:
Silver: 17.75 cpm
Gold: 18.75 cpm
Platinum: 19.44 cpm
1K: 18.18 cpm
If you purchases premium fares (with various fare bonuses), your break-even point cpm is even higher. If you fly more than the threshold PQM (25K for Silver, 100K for 1K), your break-even point cpm is also higher.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
You'll earn based on base fare + carrier imposed surcharges. Government taxes and 9/11 fees won't count.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by whimike
What is with the 75k mile cap?! So, as a 1K, if I buy a fare higher than $6,800 I am penalized?

"For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar."

Anybody have a clue what this means? If I am 1k and earn 11x miles per dollar, how is class-of-service accounted for? Or, I am guessing that is yet to be published, but it sounds like there will be additional miles if you fly a premium cabin.
Looks that way. UA apparently doesn't want anyone to buy a ticket over $6800.00 and would like last minute J fares to go to other airlines?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
What does this mean from the FAQ:

"The new options for using miles will be available in early 2015 – be sure to watch your email for more details."

Are they already planning a even NEWER set of redemption values, but haven't communicated them and WON'T until this new earning levels basically start???

-jeremy
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:24 am

united mp ship is def sinking -.- can we get some good news for once? so much taking away

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I will suffer the same redux from my ORD to PVG flights. Was 28000 as a 1K now will be 16000-18000. The 50000 mile loss will force me to abandon my United club membership. I'm sure UA won't care.

I'll hit MM soon and game moves to AA for better service and 8SWU THAT WORK ON ALL FARES.

How about credit card hoarders? Get the extra two miles like Amex card on DL? How is Chase think?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by kmfdm91

"The new options for using miles will be available in early 2015 – be sure to watch your email for more details."

Are they already planning a even NEWER set of redemption values, but haven't communicated them and WON'T until this new earning levels basically start???

-jeremy
Pretty much, isn't that what DL is also doing? With their 5-level award chart which has yet to be revealed?

UA is incredibly good and consistent about following DL (all the bad stuff, none of the good stuff).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA-1K,2MM
The only real winners in this are the international flyers (especially to Asia and Australia) who purchase C or higher fares. They will get the fare bonus and with the 11 miles per dollar (often on a $6-12K fare) will hit the max at 75,000 miles for the trip.

I just take exception with UA saying that this "will make the Mileage Plus program even better". Don't pee down my neck and tell me that it's raining.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by snic
I suspect that people who swear never to fly an airline again almost always end up eventually flying the airline again... the fare just has to be a few dollars cheaper.

Why do you think Spirit is so successful despite their atrocious product and aggravating fees?

I really don't think UA is going to have the slightest trouble filling its planes after this "change-I-think-you'll-like".
Sure, UA will still fill their planes (somewhat) – adjusting capacity as necessary – but the real discussion here is about the FFP. Does Spirit even have a FFP? Most leisure pax fly price/schedule and that won’t change.

Do you think UA wants to fill their planes only with those who are looking for the cheapest fare? They are DOA as a legacy if they can’t regain corp contracts, become consistently profitable, and offer a competitive product including their FFP.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all to see UA throw Smisek under the bus and bring in new mgmt.

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kmfdm91

-jeremy
My guess is that language primarily refers to additional use of miles for things that are ancillary fees right now: E+, baggage fees, etc.

Further evidence that this airline isn't really interested in protecting/maintaining benefits for elites. (e.g. gut the RDM program, while making it easier for nonelites to get access to elite benefits).
Suspended

So if cabin crew did not like changes, they strike; pilots' benefits were cut, they strike; ground handlers funds were cut, they strike...

How about a UA Frequent Flyer strike?

That is, to ask all UA members to not fly on UA metal on 1st March 2015 to stage your anger!

To do this is simple, ask members here to try to avoid travel on UA on 1st March. And if you do need to travel on 1st March, try to use another FFP number or simple take the UA number out and retro claim.

Nothing can be achieved through this but only a small message to UA and to get some publicity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.