Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Earning miles on United flights

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.

Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown (see partner flights on non-016 tickets exception )
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (same as PQDs)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)
  • UA flights regardless of ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flight on 016 ticket stock will use the ticket price to determine RDMs
  • Partner flights on non-016 ticket stock will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier (see the partner page for detials
  • Speciality / Bulk tickets with PQDs will use a flight mileage-based system to determine RDMs with a fare class multiplier, see Specialty tickets

Fare multipliers based on Premier status:
  • x5 General Members
  • x7 Silver
  • x8 Gold
  • x9 Plat
  • x11 1K/GS

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $120 (assuming $20 in taxes/fees) ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Site
www.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html
Relevant UA Insider posts:

Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.
Answered Questions:

Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.
Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.
Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by GBman
Were they threatening to go anywhere (bolt UA) prior to these changes?

If not, then UA's new plan keeps them on board while other, lower-fare payers depart after their Mileage Plus devaluations. The higher rebate for high-fare payers is therefore mitigating losses resulting from UA overall getting out from under Mileage Plus.

If so, then this new plan may be part of an attempt to hold onto them, and may be more of a reapportioning of MP to the higher-fare paying customer to accomplish that. And, if so, will it work and cause them to hang around?

In other words, I'm curious whether primarily UA simply wanted to gut MP and had to try to minimise damage to its highest-paying customers, or whether UA is doing what it can with overall shrinking resources to hold onto its highest paying customers.

Chicken or egg: UA said 'here's another thing we can cut but we ought to rebalance to mitigate the resulting damage', or UA said 'our cuts are killing us and we need to try to hold onto a set of customers'.
Everyone in the office travels based on shortest time to customer. Ff programs do not impact our travel spend.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:10 am
RNE

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
For now. Considering that UA is working hard to not reward fliers with status who don't fly UA metal, and since they are cutting back on RDMs on flying activity in favor of third party mileage earning, I think it is reasonable to assume that at some point the exemption for overseas elites will be 86d. Speculation for sure, but I am not so sure it is "wild" speculation.
Not wild at all. "Wild" is what happens when TSMRSRNE and her sisters all get into a hot tub with a bottle of Patrón. But I digress. United is visionary in its reassessment of the airline alliance paradigm. It wants its flyers to eschew the Alliance partners while it welcomes aboard LH, AC, etc. flyers. This Potemkin Village won't fool the Tsaritsa for long. LH, AC, etc. will follow suit, de-incentivizing their flyers from flying on partner airlines. I further scry that this trend will weaken Star Alliance. Indeed, this paradigm shift will manifest itself throughout the other Alliances.

RNE, no, the sky is not falling; but it's not going to be the same anymore either.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RNE
Not wild at all. "Wild" is what happens when TSMRSRNE and her sisters all get into a hot tub with a bottle of Patrón. But I digress. United is visionary in its reassessment of the airline alliance paradigm. It wants its flyers to eschew the Alliance partners while it welcomes aboard LH, AC, etc. flyers. This Potemkin Village won't fool the Tsaritsa for long. LH, AC, etc. will follow suit, de-incentivizing their flyers from flying on partner airlines. I further scry that this trend will weaken Star Alliance. Indeed, this paradigm shift will manifest itself throughout the other Alliances.

RNE, no, the sky is not falling; but it's not going to be the same anymore either.
"Visionary" is not a word that can ever be used to describe a decision made by the new United.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by CMK10
"Visionary" is not a word that can ever be used to describe a decision made by the new United.
Likewise you should always fully eschew your airline food.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:06 am
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
UA has finally succeeded in driving away this Lifetime 1K with this proposed 2015 RDM policy. On top of the other MP devalations, this one is the final straw for me. I guess I am joining many other Premiers who are now seeking OAL for travel.

I calculated my planned spend and probable itineraries for the future and I will be losing over 50% RDM under the new policy.

So, I am already booking most of my trips away from UA and will fly UA only when needed. Loyalty no longer means anything to UA. I flew CO from the '80s then UA after the merger. About 30 years.

I hope AA does not follow UA and DL with its RDM policy. If not, AA will have me as a loyal customer.

UA, you are driving away many of your loyal customers. How do you plan to replace us with customers to fly in your degraded product? I do not think you will. Those potential customers are aware that UA has driven away many loyal customers. Why would they want to fly UA?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by RNE

I agree that changes to programs can weaken the alliance. It may be less of an issue for UA/NH and UA/AC/LH in their JVs but penalizing flyers for choosing other allied carriers actually works against one of their biggest selling points: to be able to get you virtually anywhere in the world seamlessly. We all know that any one carrier can't get you every where you need to go, but at least being able get perks on allied carriers made it easier and more rewarding.

OW seems to be sticking together now, but we've seen these cracks in ST as well. DL doesn't give MQMs on all of its partners - KE coming to mind as the biggest example.

The less rewarding it becomes to use a group of carriers, the more incentive there is to kayak.

It seems to work counter to what's in their best interests, but nevertheless, airlines these days only look at the their interests for the next 3 months, not the next 3 years.

The interesting thing is this seems to be led by the US carriers. I'm not sure what implications it'll have for the rest of the alliance.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
The interesting thing is this seems to be led by the US carriers. I'm not sure what implications it'll have for the rest of the alliance.
I disagree with this point.

AC was devaluing its program before UA was. Their tango fares were introduced probably close to 15 years ago with fewer perks - believe initially with the same earning as other fares, though with other things (i.e. seat selection for a fee). At one point, you could save a few bucks by agreeing not to check bags. But devolved into at one point 25% mileage earning (I think that was no status miles), now up a bit to 50% and with PQM. And check out the AC board - with all the cuts, lots of folks there have or seriously considering moving their earning to UA - and still are. They were also one of the first, IIRC, to require a certain number of flights or miles flown on their own metal to earn the status.

LH has also done things like giving out fewer miles on lower fare buckets (and don't forget - that is both RDM and PQM). Also, believe its pretty hard to earn your status there. Asian carriers for years have had fares that earn only a percentage of miles, none on partners, etc.

Yes, the US legacy programs are not what they once were - but I would say they are doing things differently rather than leading the way.While RDM will now be directly related to $ spent, the ACs and LHs have been doing that to a large extent - just based on fare code. That also made it harder to earn status - something that US carriers (at least DL and UA) are just doing differently, with the PQD thresholds.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I disagree with this point.

AC was devaluing its program before UA was. Their tango fares were introduced probably close to 15 years ago with fewer perks - believe initially with the same earning as other fares, though with other things (i.e. seat selection for a fee). At one point, you could save a few bucks by agreeing not to check bags. But devolved into at one point 25% mileage earning (I think that was no status miles), now up a bit to 50% and with PQM. And check out the AC board - with all the cuts, lots of folks there have or seriously considering moving their earning to UA - and still are. They were also one of the first, IIRC, to require a certain number of flights or miles flown on their own metal to earn the status.

LH has also done things like giving out fewer miles on lower fare buckets (and don't forget - that is both RDM and PQM). Also, believe its pretty hard to earn your status there. Asian carriers for years have had fares that earn only a percentage of miles, none on partners, etc.

Yes, the US legacy programs are not what they once were - but I would say they are doing things differently rather than leading the way.While RDM will now be directly related to $ spent, the ACs and LHs have been doing that to a large extent - just based on fare code. That also made it harder to earn status - something that US carriers (at least DL and UA) are just doing differently, with the PQD thresholds.
I disagree that there's been a devaluation of the foreign programs when they've always been stingier than their American counterparts. Percentages and reduced earning, as well as higher qualification thresholds aren't anything new within the foreign programs. Now, there are some gems out there that are pretty easy, like A3, and some other programs that give a 2 year requalification period after initial qualification.

AC's been historically more stingy than UA or US, so I don't see anything new there. Plus, with EVERYONE devaluing their points, it's just a general downward trend.

I still think the US based carriers are leading the way on devaluations now. While the foreign ones may have been there in some form for awhile, we're now seeing more "innovative" ways to screw consumers coming from US carriers. Question is how many of the foreign programs will follow.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
+1

Originally Posted by mkr
I hope AA does not follow UA and DL with its RDM policy. If not, AA will have me as a loyal customer.
For everyone bailing to AA, mark my words: AA will definitely copy UA/DL by end of 2016. Now of course for many it makes good sense to switch, why forego higher RDM for UA status that you won't need. But don't kid yourself - this is the new reality. It has been this way overseas for a long time, the partners just reduce the RDMs based on fare class. And of course B6, WN and VX all use strict $/point earnings and awards.

Originally Posted by BearX220
That is actually a substantial cohort of profitable customers, and it's a mistake to dismiss them....The giant mid-tier cohort of frequent or semi-frequent flyers, on the other hand, is in full explore-the-options mode - especially now with the FF program changes.
They are not dismissed, (for now) they still get the same EQM and elite perks - but the free trips in international C based on low fare spend will be gone. As for full shop mode, frankly I don't see why elites (excluding GS) would not already have defected based on CPUs which are plentify at AA/DL but rare on UA. However Skymiles is even worse for free travel (good luck finding saver awards) and AA has dried up substantially over the last few years. AA's partner BA is also releasing less TATL inventory despite the heinous fuel surcharges. At least on UA when I fly free I really fly free. ^

Despite what some FT theorists think, that mid tier (50-100k BIS) is strategically vital to net yield. Without them you have a tiny handful of full-fare, price-no-problem customers who will soon be getting insanely disproportional FF rewards -- and a bunch of styrofoam packing. Try netting out a profitable yield on that basis. I dare ya.
Loads are important, and you may help to fill the planes, but you are not as "strategically vital" as the HVF. UA is betting most FF will stay due to routes/hubs/corp contracts/fares/elite perks - that the options are no better elsewhere. I think UA management is being proven wrong every quarter as people continue to flee but only time will tell if this stabilizes. More likely that you will see Jeffy & team gone by year end.

They. Just. Don't. Get. It.
No question about that

If miles are the only incentive. Problem is UA is giving a lot of disincentives to fly them. Aside from the continuous cuts (including the most recent ones), you have the *A redemption inflation. You'll need those higher redemptions just to be able to get what you used to take.
This is true with all carriers. Most non-US carriers are even worse, and many have hard expiration dates which don't work for people who save miles for years only to have the rug pulled out when they want the free trip to Europe. Of course, now they won't even have that due to the double whammy.

I don't think that's entirely true.

While people may be price sensitive, many have also wised up to the whole value proposition. If airline X charges a base fare of $200, but ends up forcing another $150 in fees for baggage, etc, then airline Y can still win out if it includes those services at $300. Throw in some other perks like a good mileage program and it can sweeten the deal. Will it always? Of course not, but it's not to say that the FFP has no value - even if it's getting enough points to take a trip to see grandma.
I don't think most people are that stupid. They now know that they will pay luggage fees etc. and can do the math. On many you get the option to buy better seats when you are booking so you see the total cost right up front and can compare.

For example I was recently quoted a fare $1600 by UA for a family trip and $1450 by AS, but I add $150 to AS for checked bags so the cost is the same. I get free E+, lounge access on UA so that is the decider.

Certainly the mileage would be a factor. In this case we would get 2500 RDM per person on AS. Under the new UA program, I would get 4400 RDM but my non-status family would only get 2000 RDM pp. So not a big deal here. For a typical SFO-DEN @$150 my family would get 750mi (new) v. 967 (old) - again not a critical factor to me when shopping for the low fare. The free E+ and bags means a lot more than 400mi (RT) for my dependents.

Had UA not mucked so much with MP, I might have stayed another year or two. But instead, they got me looking and I found greener pastures elsewhere. They've lost out on thousands because of it, but no worries. It worked out for me.
Sounds like it worked out for the best for both you and UA.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Boraxo
For everyone bailing to AA, mark my words: AA will definitely copy UA/DL by end of 2016.
Well, that gives me about 2.5 more years to keep bringing in 100% bonus miles and 8 systemwides. I'll hang in there as long as I can.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tom911
Well, that gives me about 2.5 more years to keep bringing in 100% bonus miles and 8 systemwides. I'll hang in there as long as I can.
Me three - as a Plat I'm now 8/9 with sticker upgrades on AA...forgot what it was like to feel confident that they wouldn't be sold out from underneath me
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:58 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't think most people are that stupid. They now know that they will pay luggage fees etc. and can do the math.
A lot of people don't do the math, though. They see the cheapest ticket and book it, knowing they'll have ancillary costs, but making the purchase decision based on the big numbers for the quoted airfare (in Kayak, Expedia, etc.). I hear it all the time: "Allegiant had such a great fare! I paid only $150 to fly to Orlando!" (They neglect to mention they then paid $35 to get a seat assignment, $5 to get a BP, $35 for their checked bag, and another $35 for their "legal" rollaboard as carry-on.)

Beyond that, though, UA's problem is that they think they can attract & retain HVFs who will pay their higher prices for perks which they've largely diluted over the past couple of years. The really big spenders aren't deciding based on whether or not they get miles (or how many miles they get), but the mid-tier spenders might, and they're driven off by this decision.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Beyond that, though, UA's problem is that they think they can attract & retain HVFs who will pay their higher prices for perks which they've largely diluted over the past couple of years. The really big spenders aren't deciding based on whether or not they get miles (or how many miles they get), but the mid-tier spenders might, and they're driven off by this decision.
All UA really has to offer the HVF is schedule and network. Hard/soft product suck, and if they don't care about miles, and reliability is crap, it's really only schedule and network. Network's questionable though with the RJ infestation.

If you kill everything off so all that's really left is schedule, price, and a questionable network, it really only attracts a handful of HVFs and the Kettles. It effectively makes UA an Allegiant/Spirit without some of the fees.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:09 pm
RNE

OK. OK. OK. Scratch that. Make it "hallucinatory."
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AF FB silver
can't help but wonder...

Why airlines keep offering frequent flyer programs if they cannot afford them, and add any kind of ridiculous complication? One almost needs an accountant to find out the accrued miles and how to get premier status.
It is getting ridiculous...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.