Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Actually for about the last year more than 2/3s of the flights to/from CRP have been planes with first class - usually E175s but even a mainline has been sprinkled in here or there!

A welcomed change
I should have checked; CRP was an E-145 location for so long that I made an assumption. Thanks!
OP: Upgrading that flight is likely to be the cheapest way to get a larger bag allowance.
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Upgrading may get OP an extra bag, but it does nothing on the dimensions. That is either a problem or it is not.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
Upgrading may get OP an extra bag, but it does nothing on the dimensions. That is either a problem or it is not.
I guess we don't know if the OP needs to pack a lot of small things or if some of the objects are square and big and would not fit in a piece of luggage, hence the need to use boxes.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Data point: Had to get some documents to Scotland in advance of our wedding there last year.

It was cheaper to fly myself in Polaris (the day after we discovered the need) and rent a car to drop them off personally than it would have been to get them there fast with UPS, FedEx, or USPS global Express mail. It was also several days faster (UPS was the fastest of the three and could only guarantee by 5pm on the last possible day)

Now, I used miles for the flight so only wound up paying g taxes/fees/APDuty, but still...made me rethink actually shipping anything with time urgency, at least to Europe.

​​​​​​
It was cheaper to fly yourself in Polaris with miles than ship something? Or it was cheaper to pay the hypothetically cheapest polaris fare than ship them? If the former, I'm not sure that's surprising given the labor and transport costs involved in rapid overnight global shipping. If the latter, i'm not sure how that can be possible unless you found an error fare for <$100, given the flatrate USPS Global Express envelope costs (unless you had a huge box of documents).

Also, even with miles I'm not sure the comparison is fair, since you are valuing the miles at $0.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
These days, I’d assume any limits are strict - be happy if they don’t say anything, but don’t complain if you do.

Not it sure if it’s still around, but DL used to allow 1 pound over the weight. I remember going to the airport to help someone check in with them - they had two bags and one was 50.5 pounds and the other was 51.5. Agent said policy was anything over 1 they had to charge for, so they adjusted the bags until they were both exactly51.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
These days, I’d assume any limits are strict - be happy if they don’t say anything, but don’t complain if you do.
Of course, but the advice is as stated. If you want to maximize your chances of beating the fee, use a piece of luggage that looks like luggage and keep it under the prescribed weight allowance. Upgrading to first may marginally help your chances of finding a friendly agent, but probably isn’t alone enough to justify the upgrade, as there’s a chance you’ll just pay for both.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Upgrading to first may marginally help your chances of finding a friendly agent, but probably isn’t alone enough to justify the upgrade, as there’s a chance you’ll just pay for both.
True, but if the extra allowance is enough such that the OP can use regulation-sized bags, then it's a pretty clear win, IMO (assuming there's an F cabin on OP's CRP-IAH flight and the upgrade is its usual range of $119 or less for that length).
txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
True, but if the extra allowance is enough such that the OP can use regulation-sized bags, then it's a pretty clear win, IMO (assuming there's an F cabin on OP's CRP-IAH flight and the upgrade is its usual range of $119 or less for that length).
yes this is absolutely correct, and if the OP’s items for transport allow would be the most surefire option.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One really ought to check that. UA's 3rd bag fee USA-Europe is $200. Add $200 if it's more than 50 pounds. Add $200 if it's oversized. FedEx starts to look good.
Fedex package of such a large size and around 69.5 lbs from USA to Europe would be a LOT more than $600 according to my Fedex rates.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Ground transportation will be markedly cheaper. Ocean shipping rates from Texas to Asia are around $100 for a larger box than United would accept. It's hard to believe that it'd be twice as expensive to go half as far.
Interesting. I can't duplicate such rates to Europe.
Would be interesting to find out how you achieve that. Sadly it would be way OT to post it.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Now, I used miles for the flight so only wound up paying g taxes/fees/ APDuty , but still...made me rethink actually shipping anything with time urgency, at least to Europe.
You could actually have paid FedEx to have a courier travel with your package on the next United or OAL flight to Europe, where another FedEx guy would collect the package and have a van ready to deliver to the recipient. Alternatively, they can also offer to send it on their own plane, with personal delivery to the plane and similar handling after arrival, cutting several hours of the usual FedEx International First commitment of 2 days.

Note USPS Global Express is outsourced to FedEx (well at least to Europe). The only difference is that USPS brings it to the FedEx station instead of a courier coming to your place pick it up, and you don't need a FedEx account to use it.

While published FedEx rates are increasingly expensive, good INTL corporate rates can still be had if you're a good customer with a good account manager.

Otherwise, DHL Express offers similar transit times and tends to undercut the others in pricing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:58 pm Reason: repaired quote attribution
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I've got a question on something which hasn't been brought up on this thread yet.... on SFO to AUS I'm going to be hauling a folded up Persian rug that measures 56" (33,15,8) but was planning to put it in my hockey bag which measures 78" (42,18,18) if completely extended. Since there is a lot of loose space in the bag, would I need to cinch it with some sort of strap or would the agent generally be ok without designating it oversize because of the looseness of the bag that's easily collapsible?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by hawkswin
I've got a question on something which hasn't been brought up on this thread yet.... on SFO to AUS I'm going to be hauling a folded up Persian rug that measures 56" (33,15,8) but was planning to put it in my hockey bag which measures 78" (42,18,18) if completely extended. Since there is a lot of loose space in the bag, would I need to cinch it with some sort of strap or would the agent generally be ok without designating it oversize because of the looseness of the bag that's easily collapsible?
----
Sounds like it would not be oversized however what will be the weight? 22 kg (about 48-50 lbs) would be the max allowed.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----
Sounds like it would not be oversized however what will be the weight? 22 kg (about 48-50 lbs) would be the max allowed.
The passenger seems to be 1K so would be allowed 70 lbs for that bag.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hawkswin
Quick follow up as I didn't have any issues or extra charges since my bag looked in line with standard measurements after I did my best to crumble down the loose space when checking it in. At SFO it's self bag tagging and then handing it off to a contractor so it didn't involve any interaction w/a United employee. Checking in two standard suitcases first to have the contractor put Priority tags on those first before placing my hockey bag on the scale probably helped my case. In general I'd agree that weight is probably a bigger issue and since my bag was only 45 lbs, it wasn't enough to raise concern.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:25 am

UA Baggage Weight Limitations - International - No Status

I have checked United's website & I already know my first bag is free up to 50 lbs. If I had status, it would be up to 70 lbs. I am going away for 2 weeks so I may go over 50 & was wondering what the fee would be. Upon calling United, they informed me the fee was $200 for a 51 lb bag, but a 50 lb bag would be free. This sounds bizarre. Is there no surcharge fee that exists between 50 and 70 lbs for non-status flyers? The route is ORD - EDI. Thanks.

Also, as a side note - I've been slightly over 50 lbs on Aer Lingus & over on their carry-on limit a few times and they just shrug and say "looks like 50 to me" and let me go. I don't know if United would be the same way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.