Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Sept 2020

If you plan to check oversized, overweight or extra bags, keep the following in mind:
Oversized bags
We can’t accept bags that measure (length + width + height) more than 115 inches (292 centimeters).
Overweight bags
We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.
Extra bags
]We only accept extra bags if there’s space available on the aircraft. Assistive devices don’t apply, and we’ll gladly accept them for free.
also see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1949673-using-cardboard-boxes-ship-personal-items-ua-checked-luggage.html
Print Wikipost

How strict is UA with oversized / overweight checked-in baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much is the mattress worth? Would it be cheaper to buy one at your destination?
iluv2fly and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by UARTWSFO
Hi,

quick question, will a 1k receive any reduction in oversized baggage fees?
I am flying FRA-SFO on UA in PZ (PP Upgrade from W), and I am looking to transport a mattress, which outside dimensions are 200cm (Normal baggage can't exceed 159cm I believe),
As I understand it, the first 3pieces are free (as 1k), however oversize/ overweight charge is $200 for the first bag. Apologies, I typically never check bags.

Thank you for your help!
The maximum checked bag size is 119 inches/292 cm linear dimension (adding up length+width+height), with maximum weight of 100 lbs. If the mattress is over 70lb, then you will be charged $400 - for both oversize and over weight. Also, you will probably need to place the mattress in some type of bag/box, not to mention clearing customs with the mattress on your luggage cart.

You are probably better off shipping it.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
This sounds like the new flat bed that has been promised forever - carry it on and sleep well on it :-)
Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And at Costco for $8.
Thanks for the suggestion. These look great but the dimensions are a tad over the United limit:

28.55L+19.61+15.27=63.43 is the dimension according to the UA website.

Did you ever have any issues with the size? I am planning to bring 6 boxes (2*1K traveling) so I am afraid of being stuck with a large oversize bill.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:10 pm

Baggage fees

one of my client travelling from LAX -EWR-BOM on United airlines in business
can he carry one of check-in bags replaced with a package (which are furniture item), with a package size of 29inches x 21 inches x 26inches and a weight of about 32kgs, what would be the additional cost he need to pay?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, mohammedmasood
Originally Posted by mohammedmasood
.... with a package size of 29inches x 21 inches x 26inches and a weight of about 32kgs, ...
If in business, the individual bags are OK up to 32 kgs and the sum of W+H+L is up to 62. inches
so 76 inches would be considered oversize
Note the max allowed is 115 inches
Believe the fee is $200

If there is also an excessive weight situation it would be an additional $400 if over 32kgs (up to 45 kgs)

Note you may want to consider separate insurance as liability for damage is very limited
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA P, Marriott Titanium
Baggage weight limit for 4th luggage purchased by Platinum member

United Platinum status grants me a 3 free baggage, does anyone know if I want to check the 4th bag(I will pay for it), and if that luggage is over 50lbs do I need to pay overweight fee? Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pigfly
United Platinum status grants me a 3 free baggage, does anyone know if I want to check the 4th bag(I will pay for it), and if that luggage is over 50lbs do I need to pay overweight fee? Thanks!
If all of your bags are over 50 lbs, the overweight fee would apply. If one of your bags is under 50 lbs, you can make that your fourth bag and then avoid the overweight fee (but still pay the extra piece fee).
MatthewLAX and pigfly like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The fee will be the standard 4th bag fee is $150-200 depending on destination and yes overweight fees apply $100 (50-70 lbs)-$200(70-100 lbs)depending on weight

The way to think about elite bag benefits is as a fee waiver
There is a fee schedule and elites receive a waiver for some of those up to a certain level. Any thing beyond the waiver levels returns to the standard schedule.

So Plat waivers the fee for first 3 bags and waives the 50-70 lbs fees for those 3 bags. but the 4th bag is the standard fee schedule -- not modified / adjust for elite status.
SPN Lifer, MatthewLAX and Often1 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:37 pm

You pay the non-status 4th bag price for the 4th bag, overweight or not.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
You pay the non-status 4th bag price for the 4th bag, overweight or not.
Yes, I know, but if I pay for the extra baggage, does that one goes up to 50lbs or 70lbs?

Originally Posted by jsloan
If all of your bags are over 50 lbs, the overweight fee would apply. If one of your bags is under 50 lbs, you can make that your fourth bag and then avoid the overweight fee (but still pay the extra piece fee).
Okay... Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2021 at 4:48 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Yes, I know, but if I pay for the extra baggage, does that one goes up to 50lbs or 70lbs?
your extra paid bag is only up top 50 lbs, so if you have all three free bags already between 50-70 lbs and then a 4th bag, you will pay the 4th bag fee if it is <50lbs and then the overweight fee in addition if it is over >50lbs
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:49 pm

Thanks, that's very comprehensive
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The fee will be the standard 4th bag fee is $150-200 depending on destination and yes overweight fees apply $100 (50-70 lbs)-$200(70-100 lbs)depending on weight
UA actually lets you check bags >70 lbs? That's good to know, OS flat out did not allow me to do this a week ago.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by LXFlyer
UA actually lets you check bags >70 lbs? That's good to know, OS flat out did not allow me to do this a week ago.
Overweight bags

We can’t accept bags weighing more than 100 pounds (45 kilograms). However, musical instruments and assistive devices are exceptions. We’ll accept musical instruments up to 165 pounds (75 kilograms) and all assistive devices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.