Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold on UA same-day flight change

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mjh00008
... I spent 3 hours on the phone trying to force the change by SDC and was unsuccessful. ...
There a multiple reasons SDC is not available. The most likely is your fare class is not available on one of the segments

...I called later and asked to be listed standby for my preferred flights and was told that can only be done at the airport. Is that second part true
Yes

..When I get to the airport should I hightail for the premier access line and try to confirm the change? ...
Standby for connecting segments is nearly impossible but trying SDC again is worth a try.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:08 pm

When I booked it, this is exactly how it appeared on the receipt:Wed, 07FEB18
UA101
L
HOUSTON, TX
(IAH -BUSH INTL) 8:00 PMSYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
(SYD) 6:30 AM (09FEB)

Dinner
Fri, 09FEB18
UA6774LSYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
(SYD) 11:50 AMAUCKLAND NZ
(AKL) 4:55 PMFlight operated by AIR NEW ZEALAND.
If this is an originating flight on your itinera

L class on everything. SYD - AKL is a ANZ flight number now in my profile, not how it appears on the receipt. There was L class inventory earlier today on desired flights, but it is gone now. I am hopeful L class opens up. Good point on the standby - my understanding was flawed, that it was essentially the same as SDC. Would only alter my itinerary if confirmed on the flights. Just trying to find a workaround for the 5 hour layover in Sydney, and going to Sydney at all if possible. If I can force the change with only $75 per ticket fee it is well worth it.

It's beside the point, but there was an equipment change on the return flights, which allows me a free change on that side of the reservation but is no help to me tomorrow.

Last edited by mjh00008; Feb 6, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

L class on everything. SYD - AKL is a ANZ flight number now in my profile, not how it appears on the receipt. There was L class inventory earlier today on desired flights, but it is gone now. I am hopeful L class opens up. Good point on the standby - my understanding was flawed, that it was essentially the same as SDC. Would only alter my itinerary if confirmed on the flights. Just trying to find a workaround for the 5 hour layover in Sydney, and going to Sydney at all if possible. If I can force the change with only $75 per ticket fee it is well worth it.
OK, fair enough. The reason I asked was both to check inventory -- as you noted, there's not currently any L inventory through to AKL -- and to see if there was evidence of a broken fare. If there were a fare break at SYD, and your itinerary were actually fared as IAH-SYD+SYD-AKL, that would add an additional (possibly insurmountable) complication. It's impossible to know for sure without seeing the fare construction, but that doesn't look like a broken fare to me.

Standby clears one flight at a time and is really intended for passengers on nonstop itineraries (or taking an earlier flight to/from the connection point). I suppose you might get a sympathetic agent at IAH to pre-clear you for SFO-AKL if you cleared IAH-SFO (and if SFO-AKL were wide open), but I think it's more likely you'd be told that they can't put you on standby for a flight through a different connection airport.

If L inventory does open, you may be able to get customer service at IAH to put you onto IAH-SFO-AKL. "Hey, we've got a flight tonight through SYD to AKL, but since we're here already, we were hoping you could send us through SFO instead; you'd be adding like a day to our vacation and saving us from going thousands of miles out of our way."

Good luck! And have a great trip either way.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hi everyone, flying from BUF-ORD-STL-DEN-ANC next Saturday in Y. Im *G w/ TG but with the ticket being an AC award on 014 stock, I am wondering how likely a SDC or SBY might be in order to avoid the overnight at STL and potentially be able to connect through IAH or SFO.

Many thanks,

oa424
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oa424
Hi everyone, flying from BUF-ORD-STL-DEN-ANC next Saturday in Y. Im *G w/ TG but with the ticket being an AC award on 014 stock, I am wondering how likely a SDC or SBY might be in order to avoid the overnight at STL and potentially be able to connect through IAH or SFO. ...
Zero chance of SDC, SDC is only for 016 tickets. Standby is possible on non-016 tickets, but routing changes are not allowed and standby with connecting segments are generally not allowed.

So sorry but No & No
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Zero chance of SDC, SDC is only for 016 tickets. Standby is possible on non-016 tickets, but routing changes are not allowed and standby with connecting segments are generally not allowed.

So sorry but No & No
Thought so, but just wanted to confirm. Thanks again!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

So sorry but No & No

Thought I'd post an update: Turns out the incoming flight to BUF yesterday was delayed 1.5 hours, and the web rebooking tool gave me the option to reroute (amongst others) BUF-ORD-HNL-DEN-ANC, and didnt pass up the opportunity to take this very interesting routing to ANC.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
web rebooking tool gave me the option to reroute (amongst others) BUF-ORD-HNL-DEN-ANC, and didnt pass up the opportunity to take this very interesting routing to ANC.
You flew that? Awesome. Would be even better if you SDC'ed yourself a week long stay in Hawaii.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thought I'd post an update: Turns out the incoming flight to BUF yesterday was delayed 1.5 hours, and the web rebooking tool gave me the option to reroute (amongst others) BUF-ORD-HNL-DEN-ANC, and didnt pass up the opportunity to take this very interesting routing to ANC.
no seat ORD-DEN, so you got ORD-HNL-DEN? Wow. Just wow. Maybe there was a ORD-LHR-DEN option?If you were in coach the whole way, you should get some kind of medal. Too bad the old CO HNL-ANC route isn’t run anymore.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 18, 2018 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You flew that? Awesome. Would be even better if you SDC'ed yourself a week long stay in Hawaii.
It made for quite an interesting day... although the weather in HNL was rough; the 5 hour layover would have been much more exciting if it wasn't rainy and wet... spending it in the UA club and the Hawaiian Airlines lounge wasn't all that memorable. Still though, I enjoyed this (small?) detour on the way up to AK.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:03 am

Smile

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

no seat ORD-DEN, so you got ORD-HNL-DEN? Wow. Just wow. Maybe there was a ORD-LHR-DEN option?If you were in coach the whole way, you should get some kind of medal. Too bad the old CO HNL-ANC route isn’t run anymore.
As someone who loves to fly and is used to flying ultra-longhaul for a living, I found this option to be a fun and creative way to get to AK and deliberately chose this routing.. Plus, got some of my work done in between napping
atword likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, congrats on that PQM run! Would have done it as well if in F ... no chance in Y.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, congrats on that PQM run! Would have done it as well if in F ... no chance in Y.
Couple posts up the OP describes his ticket as an AC award ticket so no PQMs to be earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.