Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold on UA same-day flight change

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
As an elite, I get same day standby, but the point I was making is by trying to fill as many seats earlier in the day, it gives UA more flexibility later in the day to recover from irrops, less likely to be in an oversold situation which costs $$$ and ticks people off, and gives them a seat on an otherwise full flight that they can try and resell. How much money does it really save UA by having those seats leave empty? Do they collect enough $75 fees to justify this? I honestly can't imagine many willing to pay the $75.
Most businesses I know are more than willing to pick up the tab for an SDC or similar fee on other carriers. Remember, the purpose isn't necessarily for UA to profit hugely from the fee, but rather to differentiate its full fare brand.
Old May 24, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll try it online, worse case 75$ is acceptable.
Old May 24, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC One Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

It will only be $75 if inventory in the same fare class is available. You may have to pay a fare difference in addition to the $75
Old May 24, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
Yes, let's not give away seats which are basically worthless once the door closes. Lets try and charge for it, and when it leaves empty, and then some irrops occur, then I cancel the ticket and get nothing. Yes very smart. You must be one of the geniuses that work at UA.
Huh?

You're being silly.

Flexibility of schedule has value.

UA has two options:

Allow free SDC to anyone. UA then gets paid $0 for this flexibility all of the time.

Or, only allow SDC to people who pay for it. Sometimes they get no value (seats go empty) but SOMETIMES they DO get paid something.

UA would be stupid to choose no money all of the time over some money some of the time.

Do they collect enough $75 fees to justify this? I honestly can't imagine many willing to pay the $75.
Yes, yes they do. It's not even close.

And, on top of the $75 fees, there's the money they collect having people pay more for flexible fares. The premium they could charge for flexible fares would go down if anyone could SDC for free without a flexible fare ticket.
Old May 24, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sammybk
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC One Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

It will only be $75 if inventory in the same fare class is available. You may have to pay a fare difference in addition to the $75
That's not quite accurate.

If the same fare class is available (check at just after 24 hours prior and at 3 hours prior and in between if you care to), he will be able to confirm a seat for $75.

If it is NOT available, he can confirm a seat by paying the $75 and the difference in fare to a fare class that is available...

*OR*

He can so same day standby, in which case he'll pay $75 and get a seat if one is available at boarding. If not, the $75 gets refunded.
Old May 24, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been postings that some *Gs have received free SDC. Not what the rules state but some have posted of that experience
There was a poster in the AC forum last week who bragged about being able to do SDC as an AC*G all the time.

The thread got removed after the poster realized his foolish behaviour of bringing UA attention to this loophole.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:05 pm

AHH! Weather tomorrow looks terrible and I'm flying MSY - IAH (ONE PNR), IAH - SYD - AKL (another PNR). Online check in for both PNR offers free changes to earlier flights even though my cities are not directly connected. I want to switch the second portion to IAH - SFO - AKL, but online and app only route me through SYD to my original AKL portion, (Air New Zealand). Spent an hour on hold with United and the reps just say things that don't make sense, like that the Air New Zealand flight might be oversold. They repeat that my cities are not excepted and are no help. Any tips?

EDIT - I am more than willing to pay the SDC fee.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mjh00008
AHH! Weather tomorrow looks terrible and I'm flying MSY - IAH (ONE PNR), IAH - SYD - AKL (another PNR). Online check in for both PNR offers free changes to earlier flights even though my cities are not directly connected. I want to switch the second portion to IAH - SFO - AKL, but online and app only route me through SYD to my original AKL portion, (Air New Zealand). Spent an hour on hold with United and the reps just say things that don't make sense, like that the Air New Zealand flight might be oversold. They repeat that my cities are not excepted and are no help. Any tips?

EDIT - I am more than willing to pay the SDC fee.
A little confused what you are trying to do.. neither MSY nor IAH are covered by a waiver. This will limit your options significantly.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by findark
A little confused what you are trying to do.. neither MSY nor IAH are covered by a waiver. This will limit your options significantly.
Sorry, got frantic. I am looking to SDC to the all United metal IAH - SFO - AKL. Online check in is allowing me to change for free to earlier flights on UA metal to San Fran (presumably to move me through quicker) and on to Sydney, but keep original SYD to AKL Air NZ flight. Per the wiki, changing from UA partner segment to UA metal is technically not allowed but that success has been posted. I guess I'm trying to find out how to best approach it. Just HUACA a bunch of times? They're willing to get me to SYD at any option I want on United, but the hangup is the SYD to AKL. Am I just being unreasonable?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:18 pm

I'm *A Gold but just a "member" on United. If I am flying UA and AirNZ on a United purchased ticket (016), can I stand by as a Gold member to change to all UA metal? Willing to pay the SDC fee, just don't think the SDC policy allows this change, per that thread and my past experience. Does *A gold standby allow me to make that change as a standby?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I'm *A Gold but just a "member" on United. If I am flying UA and AirNZ on a United purchased ticket (016), can I stand by as a Gold member to change to all UA metal? Willing to pay the SDC fee, just don't think the SDC policy allows this change, per that thread and my past experience. Does *A gold standby allow me to make that change as a standby?
SDC does not allow you to change carrier.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm *A Gold but just a "member" on United. If I am flying UA and AirNZ on a United purchased ticket (016), can I stand by as a Gold member to change to all UA metal? ...
Yes
..... Does *A gold standby allow me to make that change as a standby?
You can do SDC or Standby -- and likely will not be charged a fee. hile not stated anywhere, reports suggest non-UA *G get free SDC & Standby
Originally Posted by 1353513636
SDC does not allow you to change carrier.
While that might seem to be a limitation, UA agents can change to an all UA routing aprevious reouting that included a partner flight.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I was not aware that you could switch from Partner to UA with SDC....never tried but I thought "flights must be operated by United" ruled that out.

MODS: Please delete the below if it is too much info.
My experience has been that when you ask an agent they will tell you to pay $75, but you can submit the request online or on a kiosk and won't be charged. Once a non-UA *G family member selected standby for earlier flight on a kiosk, wasn't charged, went to the Club, asked later about whether there was space on the earlier flight, and the agent said "I see you've paid the $75 fee and there's some seats so I can change your flight".
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes

You can do SDC or Standby -- and likely will not be charged a fee. hile not stated anywhere, reports suggest non-UA *G get free SDC & Standby
While that might seem to be a limitation, UA agents can change to an all UA routing aprevious reouting that included a partner flight.
@WineCountry - I spent 3 hours on the phone trying to force the change by SDC and was unsuccessful. I called later and asked to be listed standby for my preferred flights and was told that can only be done at the airport. Is that second part true or should I call back again and ask to be listed standby for my preferred flights? When I get to the airport should I hightail for the premier access line and try to confirm the change? Your expertise is so greatly appreciated. If I can get this changed it will effectively add a full day to our vacation in NZ.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@WineCountry - I spent 3 hours on the phone trying to force the change by SDC and was unsuccessful. I called later and asked to be listed standby for my preferred flights and was told that can only be done at the airport. Is that second part true or should I call back again and ask to be listed standby for my preferred flights? When I get to the airport should I hightail for the premier access line and try to confirm the change? Your expertise is so greatly appreciated. If I can get this changed it will effectively add a full day to our vacation in NZ.
Standby is extremely unlikely to help you here. As I understand it, you're ticketed (MSY-)IAH-SYD-AKL and are trying to fly (MSY-)IAH-SFO-AKL instead. Suppose that you do talk someone into allowing you to stand by for IAH-SFO. Now you're at SFO with no confirmed onward ticket anywhere. What if you don't clear? Your extra day in New Zealand just turned into an extra day -- or two, or three, or... -- in San Francisco.

SDC is the only realistic option. What fare class is your existing ticket from IAH? Is your SYD-AKL flight a UA flight number or a NZ flight number? If UA, are you on the same fare class all the way through?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.