Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1765 FLL SFO - Total Chaos - What Was UA Thinking??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1765 FLL SFO - Total Chaos - What Was UA Thinking??

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Are you seriously suggesting that the OP may have had 28 (or more) people traveling with him on this flight? I think that would have been relevant to mention if it was in fact true.

The point being that short of having ALOT of vouchers to pick up, standing in line for $7 vouchers is not worth the time and effort of a significant percentage of the people in this country.
If you follow the thread, I believe the comment about standing in line to get $14 in vouchers was directed at me.... not the OP. And we had far more than people with us.

But sure, let's play along. What else do you have to do while waiting for a mx problem to be fixed? You're going to be waiting somewhere one way or the other.

I suppose if you're a 1%-er, you just won't care. But by definition, that isn't true of most in this country.

But sure, continue blaming the passenger -- it's the CO way. Frankly, the tone on this forum has taken a sad turn in the past two years.....

And honestly, if you think it's bad to wait for a $7 voucher, what about the mad crush of people who want after the snack cart they wheeled out?? Snack sized snickers, pop, and water bottles. Maybe some kit kats and other junk. You should have seen it -- it was a blood in a shark tank.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:41 pm

Eh, that was a pretty unusual situation. I think it sounds as if United did a reasonably good job dealing with it.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hobo13
But sure, continue blaming the passenger -- it's the CO way. Frankly, the tone on this forum has taken a sad turn in the past two years.....

What are you referring to "The CO way"

I'm more positive pmCO had a much better customer satisfaction rating then pmUA
Old May 18, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
What are you referring to "The CO way"

I'm more positive pmCO had a much better customer satisfaction rating then pmUA
Well now pmUA and pmCO have one thing in common - they both "now" suck together. "Team UA" is nowhere. Soon, on the domestic side it should be called "Team Skywest".

CO sucked the day Lorenzo took over and moved from LAX to Texas.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Well now pmUA and pmCO have one thing in common - they both "now" suck together. "Team UA" is nowhere. Soon, on the domestic side it should be called "Team Skywest".

CO sucked the day Lorenzo took over and moved from LAX to Texas.
Haha~ yeah sucking together

I honestly never see who to blame as a pmCO

pmCO and pmUA hate each other (employees).

So far the only good thing i see with pmCO going into UA is we got in Star Alliance and out of skyteam.

Never knew pmCO was from LAX now that you mentioned it.
Kinda strange cause they never even focused LAX after leaving it.
Everything was EWR and Cleveland.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Haha~ yeah sucking together

I honestly never see who to blame as a pmCO

pmCO and pmUA hate each other (employees).

So far the only good thing i see with pmCO going into UA is we got in Star Alliance and out of skyteam.

Never knew pmCO was from LAX now that you mentioned it.
Kinda strange cause they never even focused LAX after leaving it.
Everything was EWR and Cleveland.
Robert F. Six was CEO, and CO was a great airline until Frank Lorenzo took over and moved to IAH. CO was based at Stapleton (DEN) before moving to LAX.

BOTH UA AND CO WERE GREAT AIRLINES. Pull together and work as a team! DL did it with NW, Lets see if Parker can pull it off at AA/US.

This UA/CO merger is a complete disaster. Cut the garbage, get your Contracts worked out and get a NEW management team.

Find a supplier for limes and grapes. My god, the excuses.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:54 pm

Robert F. Six was CEO, and CO was a great airline until Frank Lorenzo took over and moved to IAH. CO was based at Stapleton (DEN) before moving to LAX.

BOTH UA AND CO WERE GREAT AIRLINES. Pull together and work as a team! DL did it with NW, Lets see if Parker can pull it off at AA/US.

This UA/CO merger is a complete disaster. Cut the garbage, get your Contracts worked out and get a NEW management team.

Find a supplier for limes and grapes. My god, the excuses.
Lol now that people mention about Limes so much, I've been requesting lemons on all my cokes on all flights

I never did in the past........
Old May 18, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
A perfect representation of my post merger experiences with Jeff's airline. Happy 2 years in relative peace away from Jeff's UA. Still 0 segments and couldn't be more pleased.

People who can should leave- many of us already have. I feel sorry for those who can't.
Hear, hear. ^^

United makes "the devil you know" even worse...I can't believe I waited as long as I did to finally quit that abusive relationship. And now I see many people still getting the shaft and yet continuing to give them money like things are going to improve. If United cared about improving, they would have changed course on all these devaluations, cutbacks, and poor customer service strategies long ago. They're not interested.

I've been doing great. Cathay Pacific for my Asia sectors have been a treat. Even when we were late, the staff was great, they kept us up to date on what was going on and why. And they did their best to make it up later. I fly my first SF-Portland segment on Virgin America this coming week. I've got $1000 booked on combination economy/first on Alaska for trips to and from Seattle, and I'm about to put together a $6000 E/PE/Biz journey through various European cities this summer on British Airways. I'm crediting to the airlines I fly...not even worried about status...I just buy the cabin I can afford. It is such a refreshing change.

I'm not missing United one little bit. But I am loving coming here and seeing the daily trainwrecks! To those who continue to stick around...it only takes one step to leave, but you gotta take it!
Old May 18, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Hear, hear. ^^

United makes "the devil you know" even worse...I can't believe I waited as long as I did to finally quit that abusive relationship. And now I see many people still getting the shaft and yet continuing to give them money like things are going to improve. If United cared about improving, they would have changed course on all these devaluations, cutbacks, and poor customer service strategies long ago. They're not interested.

I've been doing great. Cathay Pacific for my Asia sectors have been a treat. Even when we were late, the staff was great, they kept us up to date on what was going on and why. And they did their best to make it up later. I fly my first SF-Portland segment on Virgin America this coming week. I've got $1000 booked on combination economy/first on Alaska for trips to and from Seattle, and I'm about to put together a $6000 E/PE/Biz journey through various European cities this summer on British Airways. I'm crediting to the airlines I fly...not even worried about status...I just buy the cabin I can afford. It is such a refreshing change.

I'm not missing United one little bit. But I am loving coming here and seeing the daily trainwrecks! To those who continue to stick around...it only takes one step to leave, but you gotta take it!
You have an option that's why, we live in Houston who do we goto?
Old May 18, 2014, 8:56 pm

You have an option that's why, we live in Houston who do we goto?
Where are you flying? Domestic, International?

DL, AA, WN,
Old May 18, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID

DL, AA, WN,
Here's the full list.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
the one agent is working by herself and is clearly overwhelmed by the rush of people, has no help and no one from UA ops is taking ownership of the problem and coordinating the necessary resources, staff, etc, and try to restore order.
Where did you think you were, a major hub or something?

Oh, wait a minute.....
Old May 18, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995

The point being that short of having ALOT of vouchers to pick up, standing in line for $7 vouchers is not worth the time and effort of a significant percentage of the people in this country.
And that was probably a conscious decision to save money. Sadly.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:03 pm

DL, AA, WN,
I fly everywhere and I try to build up FF miles and Elite Miles or whatever that airline chooses to call it.

I fly to So cal and North Cal a lot
I also fly to HKG 1-2 times per year.

Sometimes Canada, or east coasts. Hardly ever do I fly into mid or north part of america.

My best choices are SouthWest or United. SW doesn't have Business or First so forget that.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
[[I]I said screw it, went to the club and asked for our meal vouchers.... the agent was incredibly sympathetic but said that '2 weeks ago they changed the policy and now we have to get authorized to print them'. So she called the supervisor on duty -- the one who was already handing out candy and rubbish at the gate and had already denied my request for an expedited meal voucher. And of course, she refused the request because SHE wanted to hand them out at the gate. The club agent apologized profusely but said she couldn't override the sup.
We had an annoying delay at ORD last month. Delay was only showing around 3 hours when I went to the club to see if I could get them to issue vochers for the ten high school students I was traveling with. Agent was nice, but said she could only do it if delay stretched to four hours. Of course by then it would be past 10pm, and we would (hopefully) not have time to grab food before catching our flight.

I kept checking the app, which was ahead of the monitors in reporting status changes. All of a sudden the arrival was pushed back by an hour, though the departure remained the same. Weird. Somehow our flight from ORD to CVG was going to leave 3 hours and 15 minutes late, but arrive over four hours late. It made no sense, but I used the opportunity to renew my request with the agent in the lounge. She could see that the departure time remained 3+ hours late, but also that the arrival now showed 4+ hours late. Admitted she had no idea what would cause that, but went ahead and issued vouchers for my entire party of twelve. No permission required from anyone. I didn't even have all of the BPs, but she was willing to go off of my list of names (though we had several reservation numbers). My kids grabbed food and headed back to the gate.

Around 11pm the monitors at the gate finally showed a 4+ hour delay on the departure and they started printing vouchers for everyone else. Of course by that time the only place to use the voucher was in the other concourse, so most passengers had to head through the tunnel to use their $7 at the Starbucks. We finally left around midnight and got to CVG around 2am.

Moral of the story -- I think the CS agents in the Club may have a bit more flexibility than yours let on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.