FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA 1765 FLL SFO - Total Chaos - What Was UA Thinking??
Old May 18, 2014, 10:30 pm
lexdevil

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hobo13
[[I]I said screw it, went to the club and asked for our meal vouchers.... the agent was incredibly sympathetic but said that '2 weeks ago they changed the policy and now we have to get authorized to print them'. So she called the supervisor on duty -- the one who was already handing out candy and rubbish at the gate and had already denied my request for an expedited meal voucher. And of course, she refused the request because SHE wanted to hand them out at the gate. The club agent apologized profusely but said she couldn't override the sup.
We had an annoying delay at ORD last month. Delay was only showing around 3 hours when I went to the club to see if I could get them to issue vochers for the ten high school students I was traveling with. Agent was nice, but said she could only do it if delay stretched to four hours. Of course by then it would be past 10pm, and we would (hopefully) not have time to grab food before catching our flight.

I kept checking the app, which was ahead of the monitors in reporting status changes. All of a sudden the arrival was pushed back by an hour, though the departure remained the same. Weird. Somehow our flight from ORD to CVG was going to leave 3 hours and 15 minutes late, but arrive over four hours late. It made no sense, but I used the opportunity to renew my request with the agent in the lounge. She could see that the departure time remained 3+ hours late, but also that the arrival now showed 4+ hours late. Admitted she had no idea what would cause that, but went ahead and issued vouchers for my entire party of twelve. No permission required from anyone. I didn't even have all of the BPs, but she was willing to go off of my list of names (though we had several reservation numbers). My kids grabbed food and headed back to the gate.

Around 11pm the monitors at the gate finally showed a 4+ hour delay on the departure and they started printing vouchers for everyone else. Of course by that time the only place to use the voucher was in the other concourse, so most passengers had to head through the tunnel to use their $7 at the Starbucks. We finally left around midnight and got to CVG around 2am.

Moral of the story -- I think the CS agents in the Club may have a bit more flexibility than yours let on.