Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No on-line check in for overseas travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Just as another datapoint, I flew UA int'l earlier this month, on two separate one-way itineraries. In both cases, I was pleasantly surprised to find that OLCI worked just fine. I did see a new step about "verifying my passport" where it gave the last few digits of my passport that was used last time, and asked me to confirm that it was the one I planned to use. I hadn't used a passport to travel on UA for 11 months.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jobartram
In addition, the upgrade list for the overseas flight does not show at all, though the list for my first 2 legs, with my upgrades, do. So, now I'm worried about the upgrade on the overseas leg.
This is normal... you will only show on the international portion if you clear on the battlefield gate list. If you clear before t-24 (as it seems you did) you will not show on the international BF cleared list.

Originally Posted by jobartram
Can anyone explain this? I don't like leaving check in until the morning, especially since I have a very early flight and didn't plan on the extra time.
You should always plan extra time when flying internationally. Even if you've already checked in online. You never know what could happen and with international travel your flight options are often limited if you miss it.

To add another data point to the "document check" issue, I've noticed it when traveling to a place where I need a visa and United hasn't verified my new visa yet.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JDS747
To add another data point to the "document check" issue, I've noticed it when traveling to a place where I need a visa and United hasn't verified my new visa yet.
That's another data point. I think that UA is being more cautious than other carriers in this regard: they want at least two sets of eyes (or the optical scanner of a kiosk) checking on new passports or visa: once at check-in, and the final doc check when boarding. Mistakes happen, and by having two layers of checks, the chances of an expensive mistake being boarded and turned away at the destination are greatly reduced.

It would be nice, and it seems that it is increasingly so, that once a particular passport or visa is checked and logged as such in the system, that it stays that way until it expires, so as to allow OLCI.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JDS747

That is true - if you need a visa to travel to the destination OLCI is also not available, even if your passport has been previously verified (and I'm not sure the system registers multiple entry visas anyway).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
That is true - if you need a visa to travel to the destination OLCI is also not available, even if your passport has been previously verified (and I'm not sure the system registers multiple entry visas anyway).
This is a SHARES enhancement. System worked fine until the merger. My question is if they know the online function does not work they should not invite one to use it only to fail. It would be so simple to say you can check in online if the following apply: But no, they let you go through the process then spring the go to the counter response. It is not my job to guess their rules. I want a seamless and transparent process. They are just incompetent. It has been long enough to straighten this out. I have called, I have talked to the IT people, nobody has a clue (or cares).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by iquitos
This is a SHARES enhancement. System worked fine until the merger).
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Int'l OLCI worked for me with both CO and UA
CO worked before the merger (as did UA), so not sure what went wrong post merger, but at least for me it works now, even on the last two (now defunct) BKK-NRT. Though I seriously doubt they'd let me on the plane unless I stopped and showed my passport at checkin as well.

Of course with route gone, I'll never know

LH MAD-PRG no problem at all, in fact used electronic BP on my netbook (a bit tough to scan it, but it worked eventually).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 pm

FWIW, i have always had to swipe my passport when traveling international on AS/CX/DL/UA/KE/CZ/NH. Never could do OLCI.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
CO worked before the merger (as did UA), so not sure what went wrong post merger
I had the same experience with PMCO that people are reporting now - a lot of passport swiping, not a lot of international OLCI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.