Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No on-line check in for overseas travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest
No on-line check in for overseas travel?

I am flying ABQ to CDG via DEN and IAD tomorrow, confirmed upgrade (miles + $) to business first at purchase. I also have global entry, TSA Pre Check, and silver status.

When trying to check in on line this morning I was unable to complete check in getting a message that my "documents needed to be confirmed" at the airport and I would have to check in there. I thought this might be related to my new, replacement passport but my companion traveling on a separate ticket with a well used passport is getting the same message. I'm ok with the passport check at the airport, but confused about why I can't check in on line and print boarding passes. I called United and their explanation was simply "this sometimes happens". Really? It has never happened to me before on any overseas trip.

In addition, the upgrade list for the overseas flight does not show at all, though the list for my first 2 legs, with my upgrades, do. So, now I'm worried about the upgrade on the overseas leg.

Can anyone explain this? I don't like leaving check in until the morning, especially since I have a very early flight and didn't plan on the extra time.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jobartram
I am flying ABQ to CDG via DEN and IAD tomorrow, confirmed upgrade (miles + $) to business first at purchase. I also have global entry, TSA Pre Check, and silver status.

Happens ot me regularly, especially when a code share is involved. Are any of your legs on UAX, by any chance?
When trying to check in on line this morning I was unable to complete check in getting a message that my "documents needed to be confirmed" at the airport and I would have to check in there. I thought this might be related to my new, replacement passport but my companion traveling on a separate ticket with a well used passport is getting the same message. I'm ok with the passport check at the airport, but confused about why I can't check in on line and print boarding passes. I called United and their explanation was simply "this sometimes happens". Really? It has never happened to me before on any overseas trip.

In addition, the upgrade list for the overseas flight does not show at all, though the list for my first 2 legs, with my upgrades, do. So, now I'm worried about the upgrade on the overseas leg.

Can anyone explain this? I don't like leaving check in until the morning, especially since I have a very early flight and didn't plan on the extra time.
Happens to me regularly, especially when code shares are part of the itinerary. You aren't flying any segments on UAX by chance?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
That's pretty standard, even back to the system's PMCO days. Every new passport has to be swiped at a chicken before it can be used for OLCI, and even then if you go too long without flying intl or it's the wrong phase of the moon or something you have to swipe at a chicken again. A real downgrade from the PMUA system, especially since they're checking passports at the gate anyway.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In general unless a very regular international traveler on the new UA, your documents (passport, visa, ...) need to be checked at the airport. Inherited operational norm from the pmCO system, somewhat of an outlier from the norm of other airlines.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-checkin.html
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks ! I'm glad to know this isn't terribly unusual. My 1st leg is SkyWest Abq to Den (a reroute because my original ABQ to IAD was cancelled as United no longer flies that route). Fingers crossed the upgrades are ok.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by mduell
That's pretty standard, even back to the system's PMCO days. Every new passport has to be swiped at a chicken before it can be used for OLCI, and even then if you go too long without flying intl or it's the wrong phase of the moon or something you have to swipe at a chicken again. A real downgrade from the PMUA system, especially since they're checking passports at the gate anyway.
(deleted)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jobartram

You will be on the list once you check in. Yes, there is some chance you'll be a bit further down the list if there is someone else with your status and fare class who was able to check in online.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
Happens to me regularly, especially when code shares are part of the itinerary. You aren't flying any segments on UAX by chance?
This is the second time you've mentioned the possibility of UAX segments confusing UA's systems. Again, as mentioned in the other thread, UAX segments are not codeshares, and I've never seen any indication that UA's systems treat them as such.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This is the second time you've mentioned the possibility of UAX segments confusing UA's systems. Again, as mentioned in the other thread, UAX segments are not codeshares, and I've never seen any indication that UA's systems treat them as such.
Well, the circumstantial evidence is mounting. Here we have an int'l check in that won't work on line, and in the previous post, we had a sked change that de-synced a reservation.

Both of these issues arise with code shares, and we now have two examples of them arising when there is no other apparent cause in the itinerary than a UX segment.

Is this proof positive? Certainly not. But given the vagaries of SHARES, it's enough for me to bet that UX segments will cause some code-share like behavior with reservations.

I'd suggest that any analysis of SHARES behavior has a high speculation factor, but that FTers should expect yet another wild card when they book UX segments.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Well, the circumstantial evidence is mounting. Here we have an int'l check in that won't work on line, and in the previous post, we had a sked change that de-synced a reservation.

Both of these issues arise with code shares, and we now have two examples of them arising when there is no other apparent cause in the itinerary than a UX segment.

Is this proof positive? Certainly not. But given the vagaries of SHARES, it's enough for me to bet that UX segments will cause some code-share like behavior with reservations.

I'd suggest that any analysis of SHARES behavior has a high speculation factor, but that FTers should expect yet another wild card when they book UX segments.
Sorry, but I've seen no evidence of anything.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well, the circumstantial evidence is mounting. Here we have an int'l check in that won't work on line, ....
common passport issue that has been reported and experienced by many. Including myself on single segment non-stop itin.

.... Both of these issues arise with code shares, and we now have two examples of them arising when there is no other apparent cause in the itinerary than a UX segment.

Is this proof positive? Certainly not. .
zero proof -- the passport / document issue is very common.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
common passport issue that has been reported and experienced by many. Including myself on single segment non-stop itin.

zero proof -- the passport / document issue is very common.
+1.

Passport issue seems to arise in two situations:

1) New passport that you haven't used on United before (so number hasn't been verified in their system).

2) Existing passport that you haven't used recently (unclear how long-6+ months at least).

#1 explains OP's situation. #2 explains OP's companion's situation.

(FWIW, I did succeed in using a cancelled passport--UA didn't know it had been cancelled and I failed to notice the old number was what checkin thought I was using>
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
common passport issue that has been reported and experienced by many.
Int'l OLCI worked for me with both CO and UA, then post merger, didn't work for over two years, no matter how many times it was scanned.

Then all of sudden OLCI started to work with same passport, and continued to work for almost two years - but no Int'l travel booked now until late September.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
In general unless a very regular international traveler on the new UA, your documents (passport, visa, ...) need to be checked at the airport. Inherited operational norm from the pmCO system, somewhat of an outlier from the norm of other airlines..
It has always been like that for us foreign MP members. Even when returning to our home countries UA insisted on not allowing us to check in online.

Which is great as you end up at the Glutaus of the ug waitlist.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat
The passport issue is quite annoying and seems to occur every time I fly international (every 6 weeks or so). It is not a new passport issue as it is the same one I use every time. Given how frequently I travel overseas, it is not a 'havent used it recently' issue. There seem to be other factors at play here that I have been unable to predict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.