Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 2 UA UC (open), GS Lounge (open) & Arrivals Lounge (now open)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
related thread: Consolidated connection time/logistics at LHR

Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2

United Club Hours 5:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. daily (as of October 2023) (standard UC access policies0
​​​​​​Global First Class GS / VIP lounge (newly open May 2022) (GS and at time 1K Polaris customers -- based on space)

Arrival Lounge Hours 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (open as of June 13, 2022)
The arrivals lounge at London Heathrow, located immediately after immigration and customs, is a shared space with shower suites, breakfast items and more. This lounge is exclusively available for United Polaris business class travelers.
Eligible travelers must be flying on a same-day ticket arriving before noon and cannot bring guests. Additionally, United Club memberships and one-time passes don’t grant access to this lounge.

Archive thread: LHR Terminal 2 United Club, GS Lounge (was GFL) & Arrivals Lounge Discussion[Archive]
Print Wikipost

LHR Terminal 2 UA UC (open), GS Lounge (open) & Arrivals Lounge (now open)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mjuler
I was in the United Lounge at LHR T2 a few weeks back and couldn't help but notice the massive hole being dug on the apron between the main T2 building and the satellite used by United. Anyone know what the work is for?
It has been like that for at least 6 months to a year!
droopydog and mjuler like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is a UA operated lounge that a few other *A carriers (AC and SA) have an agreement to use.
UA asset tags can also be found on a lot of stuff there, including the power outlets. My impression of the menu is that it caters to both American and British tastes.

OTOH, they don't actively profile it as a UA operated lounge. The choice of the "shared space" wording says enough.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
LHR UC Access Sanity Check ...

I'll be arriving at LHR on United #923 this coming Sunday (depart LAX on Saturday). And I have a connection to GVA that departs some 5 hours later.

It's been a while since I've tried to visit the United Club at LHR on a connection, but I shouldn't have any problem doing it, is that right? (I am a UC member.) My recollection is that I'll have to clear customs and then turn around and walk all the way back to the UC club in terminal 2B. My onward flight should be out of 2A.

Are there any other options open to me? Aside from paid lounges, I think there are not.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
I'll be arriving at LHR on United #923 this coming Sunday (depart LAX on Saturday). And I have a connection to GVA that departs some 5 hours later.

It's been a while since I've tried to visit the United Club at LHR on a connection, but I shouldn't have any problem doing it, is that right? (I am a UC member.) My recollection is that I'll have to clear customs and then turn around and walk all the way back to the UC club in terminal 2B. My onward flight should be out of 2A. ...
As a transit passenger, you don't need to clear UK customs but there will be a security check. But you should have no problems getting to the UC.

Are there any other options open to me? Aside from paid lounges, I think there are not.
As *G, you have many options
See Comparative Review of Five Different Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow T2
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a transit passenger, you don't need to clear UK customs but there will be a security check. But you should have no problems getting to the UC.
Yeah, I suppose that I was just thinking of the security check. Sloppy writing.

Thanks for passing that along! Looking that thread over, I'm guessing that I'll just spend my time in the United Club, unless I get really bored and want to explore the others ... whatever it takes to make the time pass quickly.

Thanks for the snappy response!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Thanks for passing that along! Looking that thread over, I'm guessing that I'll just spend my time in the United Club, unless I get really bored and want to explore the others ... whatever it takes to make the time pass quickly.

Thanks for the snappy response!
The senator lounge is fine and is in T2A, likely where the GVA flight departs from. It has the advantage of not having to find your way back from T2B.... There are no problems doing it, you just need to pay attention to the signs and get on some elevators.

I personally like the exercise. Others may differ

With 5 hours and a us passport, wouldn't Central London be more fun? If nothing else, there is a good chippy near Paddington.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryman554
...With 5 hours and a us passport, wouldn't Central London be more fun? If nothing else, there is a good chippy near Paddington.
Realistically, probably only 2 1/2 hours in London w/ 2 1/2 hours spent getting to/from airside - it's a good distance from T2 to Heathrow Express or TFL, then 15-25 minutes each way depending on which, plus re-clearing security/immigration on return, and not being late to gate for boarding. Tate Britain (not Modern) probably most convenient to Paddington to kill time. And there's a decent pub a block away towards Vauxhall bridge.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:13 pm

The key thing for me is the United Club, as well as the other lounges out in T2B, have showers. The Lufthansa Senator Lounge in T2A does not. When flying out of T2A, if I want a shower (and have time), I make the trek out to T2B. Otherwise, I just stay at the Senator lounge, which is quite decent.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
With 5 hours and a us passport, wouldn't Central London be more fun? If nothing else, there is a good chippy near Paddington.
It is admittedly worth considering.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Realistically, probably only 2 1/2 hours in London w/ 2 1/2 hours spent getting to/from airside - it's a good distance from T2 to Heathrow Express or TFL, then 15-25 minutes each way depending on which, plus re-clearing security/immigration on return, and not being late to gate for boarding. Tate Britain (not Modern) probably most convenient to Paddington to kill time. And there's a decent pub a block away towards Vauxhall bridge.
So, how would this actually work? UA #923 is scheduled to land at 12:20pm. I am assuming that my bag will be checked through. How soon can I reasonably expect to arrive at Paddington Station? And at what time would I have to board the Heathrow Express to make a flight that departs at 5:15pm? It could be a lot of stress and money for not much time in London. On the other hand, if a decent pub can be quickly found and a good football game can be caught (I think I saw that Everton is playing that afternoon), not that I'm a Premier League fan, the adventure might be worth the effort.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It is admittedly worth considering.

So, how would this actually work? UA #923 is scheduled to land at 12:20pm. I am assuming that my bag will be checked through. How soon can I reasonably expect to arrive at Paddington Station? And at what time would I have to board the Heathrow Express to make a flight that departs at 5:15pm? It could be a lot of stress and money for not much time in London. On the other hand, if a decent pub can be quickly found and a good football game can be caught (I think I saw that Everton is playing that afternoon), not that I'm a Premier League fan, the adventure might be worth the effort.
Heathrow Express runs pretty frequently. Should get to Paddington by 1:30 (1:15 if everything clicks). It ain't cheap. 25 pounds each way. TFL is 10 plus change and is only 8 minutes slower w/ 4 stops, but probably 1/2 the frequencies. You'd want to be on a Express no later than 3:30p for a 5:15 departure w/ no luggage. That realistically leaves only 2 hours out and about from Paddington. Probably not worth it.

There's a pub I've eyed out on Bath Road bordering airport (Three Magpies) on the occasions I've spent the night out there prior to a flight, but have never visited. There's a free bus that might get you there.

5 hours is just a bit under for the trouble of to/from central London, but (in my opinion) more than I want to spend in an airport lounge.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:37 am
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
There's a pub I've eyed out on Bath Road bordering airport (Three Magpies) on the occasions I've spent the night out there prior to a flight, but have never visited. There's a free bus that might get you there.
I've been to the Three Magpies before. It's the closest real pub to LHR (that I know of). The free buses (105, and 111 for sure) run every 10 mins or so, and there are bus stops for travel to/from the airport very near the pub. You'll catch the bus at the Central Bus Station. Free bus, just walk on, and watch for the Nene Rd stop (stop BJ). Stop BM is the one right across Bath Rd from stop BJ, and that's the one you'll need to catch the bus back to the Central Bus Station.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

It's been a while since I've tried to visit the United Club at LHR on a connection, but I shouldn't have any problem doing it, is that right? (I am a UC member.) My recollection is that I'll have to clear customs and then turn around and walk all the way back to the UC club in terminal 2B. My onward flight should be out of 2A.

If it were me I would probably catch a taxi to Windsor Castle - it is a 25 minute cab ride. The Castle is interesting and the town itself has pubs, etc. When I have arrived early in the morning and am leaving early the next day I have checked into my hotel and then caught the bus and a train to Windsor - this takes about an hour and I had time.

I have stayed at hotels along Bath Road a number of times and it is not the nicest of areas - it is an area of hotels catering to people who want to catch a flight the next day. It is fine but I personally would choose to go a little further out to find a decent pub and a better atmosphere.

I love London but essentially you will have only a couple of hours in the city and then need to get back to Paddington to get back to Heathrow. Now if I was going to meet a friend, had a particular destination in mind I would do it (and have done it). However, there are some nice pubs around Paddington and the train station itself is very interesting to wander around.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5 hours is just a bit under for the trouble of to/from central London, but (in my opinion) more than I want to spend in an airport lounge.
I absolutely agree. There is an LX flight that goes from LHR to GVA at 2:25pm, but by the time I got around to purchasing this ticket, the only remaining fare classes left on that flight were driving the cost of the ticket too high.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
If it were me I would probably catch a taxi to Windsor Castle - it is a 25 minute cab ride. The Castle is interesting and the town itself has pubs, etc. When I have arrived early in the morning and am leaving early the next day I have checked into my hotel and then caught the bus and a train to Windsor - this takes about an hour and I had time.
I actually really like Windsor and prefer overnighting there to doing so in London when I have a flight out of LHR. When I would travel to Oxford for work (which didn't happen all that regularly), I would often choose to stay in Windsor, which is no less convenient and far less crowded than staying in Paddington.

I think one of the reasons that I don't love London is that I'm always merely traveling through London and never go there as a destination. Maybe one day ...

Anyhoo, what I ultimately do will probably come down to how I'm feeling (and I can guess at that looking at the very poor upgrade chances) and how comfortable I'm feeling in the lounge. Thanks for all of the input!
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Access for United Club - T2 Departures for *A Gold pax

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Assuming you have Star Gold status or flying in Business on SN...

The United Club in Terminal 2 is departures only, and all international arriving customers are physically separated from departures until you clear security, then you will be in transit. You could go to the United Club in T2 but it would be a long walk from there to go to Terminal 1 and your flight (20-35 minutes), so it makes much more sense to simply go into transit and walk to T1 where you will have access to the Star Alliance lounge and you can shower, eat etc.

For the avoidance of doubt you will not have any access to the United arrivals lounge which is landside, which requires you to clear UK customs and immigration (and is only available for arriving customers in Global First and Business First), and then you'll need to walk outside to Terminal 1 to enter it for your flight (you wont be able to go through T2 departures to get to the SN flight, you'll be redirected to go to T1).
Please confirm access requirements... Am * Gold status (MM) and flying coach (PE) outbound LHR -> EWR. Is the T2 club available/accessible ? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by nsx1164
Please confirm access requirements... Am * Gold status (MM) and flying coach (PE) outbound LHR -> EWR. Is the T2 club available/accessible ? Thanks in advance.
Yes. Also, SN is now also operating out of T2. The post you quoted (from 2014) is outdated.
libertyuk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.