Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Both lounges open at 1 PM (as of 9/2/18), TSA at Terminal B is not open until 12:30 at the earliest.

SAS Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B60

Lufthansa Lounge: After Security Gate/Area: B68

Both are located at satellite B3:

Going to LH or SAS lounge from various points:
From Terminal B International arrivals: walk to B3 security;
From Terminal B's United Gates: walk out of B1 security and enter B3 security;
From Terminal A: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
From Terminal C: United airside shuttle or outside AirTrain train to Terminal B;
(Note: there are two shuttles; only taking the shuttle to Terminal B and ask the driver to drop off at B3's LH lounge entry; not the United gates at B1).

Return to Terminal A or C: Airtrain train only.

The following was copied from west_end_NYC post.

I made my first visit trip to the EWR Termimal B Senators lounge last Friday as I had an extra hour to burn (notes: calculate your total journey time from different entry points; too risky with short layover time at EWR) before an 8:35PM flight out of Terminal C. I found the process of acccessing the lounge and getting over to Terminal C quite seamless:

- TSA at Terminal B scanned my UA paper boarding pass and reviewed my ID - no questions asked and was immediately let through.

- Note there is no TSA Pre-Check at Terminal B for the international gates so had to remove shoes, etc, and clear through the full body scanner. There was only a short line so only took ~10 minutes to clear through security.

- Proceeded to the LH lounge and showed my MP Gold card and UA BP at the check-in desk and again, no questions asked, and was invited to head into the Senators lounge to the left of the desk.

- Nice food spread including two entree choices, sandwich choices, and self-serve wine, beer and liquor with several varieties. Not quite the quality of the new Amex Centurion lounges I have visited but far better than anything available at the EWR UC, particularly noting it was all complimentary.

- The journey over to Terminal C was much easier than I anticpated and considerably faster than the 1 hour transit time referenced in earlier posts. I took the Airtrain one stop to Terminal C. Door-to-door from the LH lounge to the UC right past security took just 15 minutes (the C-3 Pre-Check line was not very long).

Notes: allow plenty of time for your return journey because time for passing security at Terminals A and C varies greatly, depending upon the time of day. Terminal A does not have a full PreCheck.

Print Wikipost

Access to LH / SK Lounge at EWR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The bus does nt pick up at B because the pier where the LH lounge is located is for international flights and has no arriving domestic passengers. If departing A or C you will need to get to those terminals via a landside method (most likely the AirTrain) and re-clear security.
Since I'm originating at EWR, unless I am getting to the airport early to work and avoid traffic this seems to not be worth the effort. Oh well!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:49 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I usually originate at EWR so haven't tried this myself, but I've had someone connecting at EWR UA-UA tell me this works for him. The bus dragon asks for his BP. He says, "here's my incoming BP - I have to pick up my LH BP at the LH lounge," and they wave him through. Never had an issue.
That's a great idea! I will need to try this the next time I connect at EWR.

LAX
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
UA should really bring back C<->B shuttle service just for *G+ passengers, out of respect if nothing else. There's no value of *G based out of EWR otherwise! The UC's are terribly crowded and food/bev is disappointing at best . I love that LH Senator Lounge! I've written complaints requesting it be established and hope y'all do the same ^

This was the response I recieved:

I'm sorry to hear that you have to go thru security again just to access the Star Alliance Clubs at Terminal B in Newark.

We're always working to improve all aspects of our Clubs.

Thank you for your honest feedback. I'll share it with our United Club and Star Alliance teams.

We appreciate your business and Premier Platinum loyalty. We hope your next visit leaves a better impression, and that you'll give us the opportunity to provide you with a more positive experience in the future.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Not a good chance

You asked UA to pay LH for you to visit LH lounge in a more convenient way. That is too much to ask.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrGood
UA should really bring back C<->B shuttle service just for *G+ passengers, out of respect if nothing else. There's no value of *G based out of EWR otherwise! The UC's are terribly crowded and food/bev is disappointing at best . I love that LH Senator Lounge! I've written complaints requesting it be established and hope y'all do the same ^

Honestly, I think that's an exceptionally accommodating response. There's no entitlement to a lounge at all, and certainly not to a bus to take you to a partner lounge. Did UA ever have a C-B bus service for this purpose? I don't believe they did.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

The airside bus serves all passengers needing to transfer between terminals airside, not just *G pax. Few pax would do to B-C reverse airside transfer because the assumption is if you are in Terminal B, you would have been inbound, and must clear CBP landside anyway.

The LH lounge gets crowded as well during early evening hours when there are numerous *A TATL (e.g. LH, SK) departing.

I guess I am one of those people who try to limit my time in an airport terminal.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Honestly, I think that's an exceptionally accommodating response. There's no entitlement to a lounge at all, and certainly not to a bus to take you to a partner lounge. Did UA ever have a C-B bus service for this purpose? I don't believe they did.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You asked UA to pay LH for you to visit LH lounge in a more convenient way. That is too much to ask.
But as a promised benefit of becoming *G, UA sells the product as you being guaranteed *A lounge access. It's part of the package, so yes, it's rather odd or counter-intuitive to believe I as well as all Gold+ pax are not paying for it. *G pax not being able to use the EWR *A lounges that they are paying for membership access to, just because they're not departing from that terminal doesn't make sense at all!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
But as a promised benefit of becoming *G, UA sells the product as you being guaranteed *A lounge access. It's part of the package, so yes, it's rather odd or counter-intuitive to believe I as well as all Gold+ pax are not paying for it. *G pax not being able to use the EWR *A lounges that they are paying for membership access to, just because they're not departing from that terminal doesn't make sense at all!
Lounge access is available, just not airside bus to get you back to Terminal C. You are more than welcomed to use Airtrain and reclear security.

Getting to/from the lounge is not part of the access policy.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But as a promised benefit of becoming *G, UA sells the product as you being guaranteed *A lounge access. ...
Never have seen the word guaranteed used.

.... *G pax not being able to use the EWR *A lounges that they are paying for membership access to, just because they're not departing from that terminal doesn't make sense at all!
While you do have access, you don't have airside access and that is true at many airports around the world. There some where you do and some you don't have access without reclearing security. This is not just an EWR situation.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Never have seen the word guaranteed used. This is not just an EWR situation.
Oh yeah, there's no word "guaranteed" but they sure sell it giving that impression. I guess it's best to lower expectations for all UA-affiliated elite tiers.

I'm well aware of many airports which make it inconvenient (intentionally or otherwise) to use the *A lounges...I just thought EWR was better than this, especially after seeing how dismal terminal C's UC's have been! And it's beyond me how it's so much hassle for EWR (and other airport) shuttles to accept security-cleared folks going to whichever terminal they prefer, but I digress.

And speaking of EWR *G benefits, where's the *A Gold Track? Whenever I check-in at terminal C and ask a UA staff member about where to find it, they look at me as if I have two heads!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium access (gold track) is in between precheck and regular lines.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you present your credentials at the lounge entrance, you will be allowed access. Don't blame United for this.

Are you UA Plat or not??? If you are, why are you asking about Gold Track?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Are you UA Plat or not??? If you are, why are you asking about Gold Track?
Because sometimes even the EWR Premier Access dedicated security line is ridiculously congested or is simply merged into the regular line. Wanting to ask for how to better facilitate a disaster of an airport security system shouldn't result in doubt over the legitimacy of a person's FF status.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Oh yeah, there's no word "guaranteed" but they sure sell it giving that impression. I guess it's best to lower expectations for all UA-affiliated elite tiers....
Not different than other alliance programs -- this is an airport issue

Because sometimes even the EWR Premier Access dedicated security line is ridiculously congested ...
For a regular traveler, PreCheck is the better choice

But we are getting off the thread's topic -- how to get to the LH lounge at EWR
MrGood likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I haven't been through EWR in over a decade ... hated that experience so avoided the airport as a connector like the plague.

However ... am visiting Portugal this summer and the only return flight with a reasonable departure time (IMO) was LIS-EWR (UA 65) which arrives 1325 and my domestic connection doesn't leave until 1543 so it would be nice to recuperate in a lounge. As I understand it, I won't be able to use the PL even if my GPU clears since I'll only be Polaris from LIS to EWR and UA will only think about my domestic connector from there on.
With over 2 hours to kill, is it worth it for me to try to go to the LH SL? Bear in mind I'll have a big full carry-on with my laptop, camera equipment, power supplies, etc.
If so, I still have to switch terminals to get there? and then allow 20 mins? 30 mins? to get to my domestic connection before it boards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.