Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
San Francisco United Arrivals Lounge closure
Due to airport construction, the United Arrivals Lounge at San Francisco will close on December 1, 2019, at 12 p.m. If you’re traveling in United Polaris® business class on a long-haul international flight and have an eligible same-day ticket, you can visit the United Polaris lounge before departure, during connections or upon arrival. See our access policy and list of lounge locations for more information.

United Arrivals Lounge: 12 showers, decent breakfast, but only open to inbound international GlobalFirst or BusinessFirst premium passengers in the morning:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/uni...ls-lounge-sfo/
Our Arrivals Lounge in San Francisco, located in Terminal 3 on the baggage level, is a retreat where United Polaris first and business class customers arriving by noon on a same-day ticket may freshen up with a shower. Guests can enjoy breakfast and use our complimentary Wi-Fi.
Customers may not bring guests into the arrivals lounge/
Hours: 6:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Outside of security
Accessing from the International Terminal
Originally Posted by Kacee
The foolproof instructions are "head towards UA baggage claim in T3 on the ground level and it's on your left."

It's quicker if you take the "connections" exit from customs, but either way works.
Alternatives
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
Aieside in International G terminal

Amex Centurion Lounge: one shower (possible wait), complimentary access for Centurion and Plat Amex cardholders, $50 for all other Amex cardmembers:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/the...on-lounge-sfo/ -airside

Freshen Up. Paid facility. Landside, International Terminal.
Freshen Up
Thread talking about Freshen Up
Outside of security

Closed lounges
Singapore Airlines SilverKris lounge: two basic showers, but only open to departing international passengers holding Star Gold status or traveling in a premium class of service:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/sin...is-lounge-sfo/

United Global First lounge - Closed as GFL/IFL nut available for premium cabin partner international / UA Polaris long-haul SFO departure passenger while the UA Polaris lounge is under construction.
Print Wikipost

SFO Arrivals Lounge - closing 1 Dec 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I'm arriving on UA at 6:40 AM next week, on a weekday, AKL-SFO.

Could I access the Arrivals lounge at the same level as the baggage carousels?
Once you exit CBP (customs & immigration) with all you baggage you need to go down a level to access the Arrivals facility.
The baggage carousels mentioned are the ones used for domestic travel not international.

Last edited by Aspen; Jan 15, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aspen
Once you exit CBP (customs & immigration) with all you baggage you need to go down a level to access the Arrivals facility.
This is accurate if you exit customs through the "Connections" door. If you exit to the arrivals hall, you'll have to traverse multiple levels (up and down) to reach the arrivals lounge.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

It's a bit of a walk either way, and you certainly feel like you're heading towards the parking deck.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
It's a bit of a walk either way, and you certainly feel like you're heading towards the parking deck.
it's maybe 100 yards from exiting the security area if you do it right - probably less.

As has been mentioned, take the "Connections" exit (ie, turn LEFT) from baggage claim/customs. They staff will likely try and point you the other way if you're not connect, but you can still go left.

Walk through the glass doors, and turn LEFT again. If you are connecting, this is where you can drop your bags for you connecting flight.

Then just keep walking and take every RIGHT. First you'll turn right (headed towards T3), then you'll diverge off to the right (toward the baggage non-UA baggage claim that's been mentioned), go down an Escalator, and the Arrivals lounge will be in front of you.

I figure I could let the rush hour traffic settle down a bit before I get a Uber to SJ. Hoping the pricing will be better say after 9 AM.
Depends where in SJ you're headed, and thus which route is best to get there (101 v's 280). The disadvantage of waiting is that at 9am you lose the car pool lane (opens to everyone at that time) which especially on 101 can make a real difference. Whether that will have more of an impact than the additional traffic earlier is hard to say.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Actually Uber/Lyft was rather inexpensive around 7-8 AM going from SFO to SJ in January.

Was higher in mid May with a flight arriving around 1:30 PM and out of baggage claim around 2:30 PM.

Now I have an upcoming flight scheduled to land at 4:30 PM. So by the time I'm ready to look up Uber, probably right in the teeth of rush hour, again going down to SJ.

So I may yet try the Arrivals lounge for a couple of hours.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... So I may yet try the Arrivals lounge for a couple of hours.
Don't forget the SFO UA Arrivals lounge closes around 12:30PM (only for AM arrivals)
wxguy likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
For people with a connecting flight, is it even worth going to the arrivals lounge instead of going directly to the Polaris Lounge? I'm assuming the arrivals lounge is not as good as Polaris.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Oh NVM then.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seat38a
For people with a connecting flight, is it even worth going to the arrivals lounge instead of going directly to the Polaris Lounge? I'm assuming the arrivals lounge is not as good as Polaris.
It depends, plus if you have enough time, you can do both. I always start in the Arrivals Lounge for the quiet, usually empty space with shower areas I can control the temperature down to the 50s where I prefer it. Polaris Lounge showers are warm and lack sufficient ventilation and individual temperature settings. After cleaning up and doing some work in a quiet space in the Arrivals Lounge, I will go to Polaris for brunch before my connection. In general I have a 4hr connection time baked in to my trips inbound via SFO and 6+hrs outbound via SFO, which doesn't work for everyone.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It depends, plus if you have enough time, you can do both. I always start in the Arrivals Lounge for the quiet, usually empty space with shower areas I can control the temperature down to the 50s where I prefer it. Polaris Lounge showers are warm and lack sufficient ventilation and individual temperature settings. After cleaning up and doing some work in a quiet space in the Arrivals Lounge, I will go to Polaris for brunch before my connection. In general I have a 4hr connection time baked in to my trips inbound via SFO and 6+hrs outbound via SFO, which doesn't work for everyone.
Ditto for me. Because you need to re-clear security anyway, I usually freshen up and shower in arrivals, perhaps grab a quick snack and a shot of OJ, and then head off to Polaris. The security area closest to the international gates hasn't been opened on my last few international arrivals, so I trek down to the GS lobby to cut into the PreCheck lane anyways. Because I have to backtrack anyways, I don't mind the "out of the way" walk to the Arrivals Lounge.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Ditto for me. Because you need to re-clear security anyway, I usually freshen up and shower in arrivals, perhaps grab a quick snack and a shot of OJ, and then head off to Polaris. The security area closest to the international gates hasn't been opened on my last few international arrivals, so I trek down to the GS lobby to cut into the PreCheck lane anyways. Because I have to backtrack anyways, I don't mind the "out of the way" walk to the Arrivals Lounge.
Double ditto. The Arrivals lounge is quiet, the service is really good and no wait for a shower. There is no ambience per se, but it is much quieter and the breakfast buffet always fresher than the Polaris lounge. If you want a bigger sit down meal, go to Polaris. If you want a shower and something to drink and fresh eggs, Arrivals. Or both.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uanj
There is no ambience per se, but it is much quieter and the breakfast buffet always fresher than the Polaris lounge. If you want a bigger sit down meal, go to Polaris. If you want a shower and something to drink and fresh eggs, Arrivals. Or both.
Oddly, Arrivals lounge has the better breakfast buffet than SFO Polaris (including the heart attack special breakfast sausages for which I have a particular weakness). The ambience of Arrivals somehow better suits my mood after spending 14 hours on an aircraft.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Oddly, Arrivals lounge has the better breakfast buffet than SFO Polaris (including the heart attack special breakfast sausages for which I have a particular weakness). The ambience of Arrivals somehow better suits my mood after spending 14 hours on an aircraft.
I no longer get upset about getting the fruit breakfast on 872 after discovering how addictive those sausages are.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
Just stopped by the SFO arrivals lounge this morning and was told it will be closing on December 1.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dyung
Just stopped by the SFO arrivals lounge this morning and was told it will be closing on December 1.
Someone finally noticed it in the spreadsheet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.