Wiki Posts
Search

UA/Star Business Deals to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
... we couldn't care less about a few minor specs....
The specs ain't minor when people like myself and others posting in this thread book away from specific seating configurations.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Plus there's so much less space to stash stuff in the sardine-can 777s. pmCO BusinessFirst really is a better product than straight pmUA Business, as the name implies. I think that a lot of folks on these $1500 RTs will discover this for themselves in the next several months.
Unless you're above a certain height, in which case the foot cubbies on the PMCO seats are a show stopper.

On the $1500 point, I think a lot of folks will discover that OALs offer a superior experience; I doubt there will be many who worry about PMCO vs. PMUA seat. @:-)
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Unless you're above a certain height, in which case the foot cubbies on the PMCO seats are a show stopper....

I'm 6'3" and prefer the pmCO seats all around, including the "foot cubbies".
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:25 pm

I'm 6'3" and prefer the pmCO seats all around, including the "foot cubbies".
Let's not turn this into yet another "PMCO vs PMUA C seat" debate. But at 6'4", I book away from PMCO C every time I can. I can't even put my feet side-by-side in their foot cubbies, and can't sleep in them due to foot pain.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:28 pm
RNE

The specs ain't minor when people like myself and others posting in this thread book away from specific seating configurations.
Nobody books away from a $1500 BF lie-flat to EU. Not even you.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
Nobody books away from a $1500 BF lie-flat to EU. Not even you.
I chose pmCO BF seats wherever possible, but of course am not crazy lol...
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Interested to see all the discussion on PMCO vs PMUA seats. I used this deal to book EU airlines with lie-flat seats. LH 747-8i outbound and OS 767 return. I'm excited because I've never flown either. I leave in 5 days.

I'll be in AMS July 21-24 in case anyone else is there on one of these deals and wants to meet up.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Interested to see all the discussion on PMCO vs PMUA seats.
There is a great separate thread where the topic is PMCO vs. PMUA business class seating.

Sounds like a great trip!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by malgudi
Huh?
Did ORD-AMS two weeks ago on a P, and I totally agree about the awkwardness of the front/backwards facing seats if you're on the aisle. You really can't help but look right at the person across the way. Particularly annoying on the sUA 763, which has a super narrow aisle. Really made me miss the 744 UD which is what I usually fly long-haul ex-SFO.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
There is a great separate thread where the topic is PMCO vs. PMUA business class seating.
+1000

I'll be in Rome July 25-27 on P fare #2.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee

I'll be in Rome July 25-27 on P fare #2.
Through EWR or IAD? Arrived FCO yesterday from EWR on 767-400 ER. Foot wells are really uncomfortable.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah - that's right. I guess UA was offering a slightly less business to go w/ their int'l first, whereas CO combined the two. Coming from the CO side, I couldn't believe how many seats were crammed into UA's int'l 772s the first time I stepped into one. Going from 6 across to 8 across was a shock. There is no good seat in that section - you either have to crawl over someone or someone has to crawl over you in every seat. At least in the 6-across, the middle seats avoid that.

I've managed to avoid the 8-across seating in all my upcoming trips.
The seat itself though is very decent. Way more leg/footroom and it actually is possible to step over the person in the aisle if they are sleeping without disturbing them. I have done this many, many times, but it's a lost cause on a CO config window seat.

But yeah, the 8-across/middle section on the 777 was a bad decision to have as a business product. I don't think it's as much cramming in more seats though as just different space utilization. The UA seats are longer and go in fully vertically vs angled and overlapping like the CO seats. Your feet aren't tucking "under" the seat in front of you - it's fully open above your legs all the way to the overhead bins (hence why it's easier to step over the other person). Density wise, I would guess they are pretty similar. But to gain that lengthwise space, they unfortunately had to take it away in width and "pack them across". And that was a bad call in the end. If I can't upgrade to F on that plane, I actively try to book away from it. The aisles are super narrow, constantly bumping the aisle people - there is just no seat there where your elbows are going to be comfortable.

OTOH, the same seat on an upper deck window 747 is one of my favorite business seats in the sky.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
After paying $1,500 for BF to Paris, I had a hard time complaining about the comfort of the seat. 763 1K/L from IAD, 7 A/B on 772 to EWR. Sure hope UA offers this again some time.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by fjfv19
After paying $1,500 for BF to Paris, I had a hard time complaining about the comfort of the seat. 763 1K/L from IAD, 7 A/B on 772 to EWR. Sure hope UA offers this again some time.
I do, too, though I will be booking partner metal whenever possible.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
OTOH, the same seat on an upper deck window 747 is one of my favorite business seats in the sky.
This is good news as I'm on my very first flight with a window seat on the upper deck of the 747 this morning (I'm usually in Global First when on a 747, but I'm slumming it in BusinessFirst this trip ). I got 15K out to NRT and 15A on the way back, but I'm hoping 14A or K opens up as I heard those are better.

Sure hope UA offers this again some time.
I do too. The $1500 P fares HNL-Europe are awesome.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA may offer it, but the person who loads the fares accidentally again will likely get S-canned

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
This is good news as I'm on my very first flight with a window seat on the upper deck of the 747 this morning (I'm usually in Global First when on a 747, but I'm slumming it in BusinessFirst this trip ). I got 15K out to NRT and 15A on the way back, but I'm hoping 14A or K opens up as I heard those are better.
For that long of a flight, go backwards...a fun experience if you haven't, and it's a more natural sleeping position w/your head higher than your feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.