Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
All mainline UA aircfraft should have PDE available (April 2018)
Supported devices

Courtesy of JOSECONLSCREW28

If anybody can update this wiki with roll out dates, that will be helpful!

Entertainment options in the future:

Continental Airlines aircraft:
B777-200ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-400ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B787-8 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B787-9 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B757-300 851 - 859 DirecTV/SatelliteWiFi
B757-300 860 - 871 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B737-900/900ER 401 - 464 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-900ER 465 - 478 Streaming Content/Satellite Wifi
B737-800 202 - 226, 228 - 231, 233 - 234, 237 - 239, 241 - 245, 247 - 248, 250 - 299, 501 - 531 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-800 201, 227, 232, 235 - 236, 240, 246, 249 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 701 - 719, 721 - 724, 726 - 733, 750 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 720, 734, 735, 736 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi

United Airlines aircraft:
B747-400 AVOD + Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 International AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 Hawaiian Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 2-cabin AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 3-cabin AVOD/Looping IFE/Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 PS AVOD/Streaming Content/GoGo WiFi
B737-900ER Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
A319/A320 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi

This other thread is also invaluable for general fleet updates:

United Airlines Fleet Updates [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
UA has ~150 A319/320s. They fly huge numbers of domestic routes. In fact, they fly less overwater routes than the 737 fleet. "Almost all" the domestic routes are not 737s - not even close.

These aircraft were upgraded first because the existing product was so bad. Most of the 737s have live TV and most of the rest of the long haul fleet has AVOD in Y (except the awful 763s).
The Airbii were picked first to jam in an extra row of seats. Who are you trying to fool.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The streaming solution is in certain ways easier that manipulating the internet satellite link. The streaming solution is a contained environment and does not depending on the aircraft to satellite link.
Right, but the internet satellite link requires a competent provider who offers a service that is in turn offered to it's (UA's) customers with little intervention by UA.

However, with the streaming solution, either UA or another provider (most likely, since UA isn't a tech company ) needs to provide the technical implementation on board and maintain their portion of the service to their customers.

Said more simply - there are more pieces outside the scope of UA on the Wi-Fi Internet offering than that of the Streaming media offering. Thus, more that UA controls more than likely means more points of failure.

That's my conclusion given that .sux [name says it all], R > 0 not clearing with supported upgrade, splitting of PNRs with > 1 passengers, IRROPs handling, etc, etc, etc...all seem to be unresolved and without solution by COdbaUA.

-jeremy
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The Airbii were picked first to jam in an extra row of seats. Who are you trying to fool.
Furthermore the Airbii seats were way too comfortable, making the pmCO seats look awful by comparison. Also, they included FREE music and channel 9 that required no user-supplied devices or power.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Why would I be trying to fool anyone? What do slimline seats have to do with WiFi? Sounds like you're taking one change you feel bitter about and assuming another change was made to support it.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Quote:

Why would I be trying to fool anyone? What do slimline seats have to do with WiFi? Sounds like you're taking one change you feel bitter about and assuming another change was made to support it.
The Airbii were only touched to add seats and revenue (or remove cost). Everything else is superfluous.

Your assertion above was intellectually dishonest (and false).

I switched to WN so don't particularly care what Smisek does with his domestic fleet.

Notice the 747 (I care very much about transpac on UA) didn't get streaming despite its Y IFE worse than the Airbii. Why is that? Because there wasn't a revenue angle. PMUA had jammed in the seats nice and tight already.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... What do slimline seats have to do with WiFi? .....
It was my understanding that removing the weight on the on-board AV system (and replacing with wifi based appraoch) along with the reduced weight of the new seats was part of the calculation of the net positive financial benefit (for UA) of the additional seating row airbus changes.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
You will be missing the 757 soon when all you get is a 739 dark aircraft with awful seats!!
Maybe you're right! Though I usually bring a microfiber blanket to sit on and a squishy pillow for back support, and I'm pretty trim, so the width is irrelevant. By the time I'm ready to settle in, 21A with its unlimited legroom is the most comfortable seat on the plane.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:34 pm

Very, very simple - they both reduce weight and upkeep costs (wiring to every seat for complimentary audio/video)

Your claim that airbus aircraft were changes were based on a perceived product deficiency is unsurprising without merit. Unless of course you have the factual evidence you so often demand from others? I'm guessing you don't.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
IF your personal device is made by a fruit company.
I agree, silly. They were also supposed to be updating the android app in q1, but nothing yet. Not that there is anything wrong with the android app. Old look and feel, but it works well.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Are the airbii getting power? I was on one yesterday, again they took the most comfortable aircraft and made it very very bad!!! I would rather have the comfortable seats and channel 9 or a movie, or wifi and comfortable seats.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I agree, silly. They were also supposed to be updating the android app in q1, but nothing yet. Not that there is anything wrong with the android app. Old look and feel, but it works well.
I agree that Android apps should be kept at parity with their iOS counterparts, but note that when companies develop for iOS first they're not doing so out of some starry-eyed idiocy; rather, they're doing it because usage data show that iOS users use proprietary apps 2-4x more than Android users do.

Android may have greater market share, but a huge proportion of that number is folks accepting whatever free smartphone was foisted up them by their carrier. They never download a single app, or even learn how to. Even those who do download apps on Android tend to download fewer, and use them less. By contrast, iOS users tend to be steeped in app culture -- and since Apple had a headstart, its installed base is huge -- making iOS a good place to deploy first.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
They actually require a specific app? I thought it was streaming video via your Web Browser?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was my understanding that removing the weight on the on-board AV system (and replacing with wifi based appraoch) along with the reduced weight of the new seats was part of the calculation of the net positive financial benefit (for UA) of the additional seating row airbus changes.
This is completely correct, as far as I know. But it doesn't mean the slimline seats have anything to do with wifi. They could have kept the original seats and added wifi and streaming IFE, or vice versa. UA decided to do both, that's all.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Very, very simple - they both reduce weight and upkeep costs (wiring to every seat for complimentary audio/video)

Your claim that airbus aircraft were changes were based on a perceived product deficiency is unsurprising without merit. Unless of course you have the factual evidence you so often demand from others? I'm guessing you don't.
are you trying to convince us that they couldn't have changed to slimline seats and kept the 1990s-style controls at each seat? Come on, you know that's just not true.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As far as appearance, the Airbii were in better shape than 2 different 2009 built 739's.

I look forward to trying the service, i just wished they kept the seats. If the content is good, it will be an improvement as far as entertainment. Hopefully if 50% of the aircraft is using the service, it will still work.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
United is finally catching up with Southwest. They have been offering this for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.