FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

jsloan Feb 7, 2023 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by ghurty (Post 34993465)
I am currently trying to upgrade using miles. I am waitlsited with a few people ahead of me.
Two questions:
1) One person is above the number one without a number by them, what would that be?
2) I am currently number 5, is there a way to pay cash to move a bit higher?

Thank you

1 - Sounds like somebody who already cleared
2 - No, but you may be able to pay cash in lieu of the miles. However, you might need to pull the upgrade request before United will give you a cash offer.

FoxFlyer Feb 7, 2023 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34993733)
1 - Sounds like somebody who already cleared
2 - No, but you may be able to pay cash in lieu of the miles. However, you might need to pull the upgrade request before United will give you a cash offer.

I'm not sure about this advice, but (#2) depends on how you obtained your ticket initially. If you purchased the ticket, then YES, you can absolutely "upfare" your ticket to a higher fare class to increase your chances. However, know that that is just one factor... depending on your status, even if you had a higher economy fare class, you still won't clear before someone with a higher status (unless you are in Premium Plus). If you know your original fare class, you can always call in or check online for what a higher fare class would cost you. But again, if everyone ahead of you is of higher status, the higher fare class won't matter (unless, of course, if you upfare to a Premium Plus seat, then you jump ahead of all other status holders in regular economy other than GS).

As for #1, I have seen several explanations over time, but not sure what is accurate. Does the person without a 1. next to them have a seat assignment to the right of their name? If so, they have cleared and have a seat. If not, I have sometimes seen this for people who are standing by without a seat assignment (potential irrops; missed connections; etc.) but eligible for an upgrade. Sometimes you even see them "clear" but get assigned an economy seat #.

jsloan Feb 7, 2023 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer (Post 34993841)
I'm not sure about this advice, but (#2) depends on how you obtained your ticket initially. If you purchased the ticket, then YES, you can absolutely "upfare" your ticket to a higher fare class to increase your chances. However, know that that is just one factor... depending on your status, even if you had a higher economy fare class, you still won't clear before someone with a higher status (unless you are in Premium Plus). If you know your original fare class, you can always call in or check online for what a higher fare class would cost you. But again, if everyone ahead of you is of higher status, the higher fare class won't matter (unless, of course, if you upfare to a Premium Plus seat, then you jump ahead of all other status holders in regular economy other than GS).

OK, that's fair, but it's so rare that fare class is the deciding factor that it didn't even occur to me. I'd never recommend it to anyone with the possible exception of Premium Plus if the buyup is reasonable and if a PP seat is acceptable if the upgrade doesn't clear.

ghurty Feb 7, 2023 5:35 pm

At that time, it didn't have a seat number now it does. Its a bit frustrating seeing yourself move farther down the line as I guess higher status members pay for upgrades.

Thank you

Repooc17 Feb 7, 2023 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by ghurty (Post 34994153)
At that time, it didn't have a seat number now it does. Its a bit frustrating seeing yourself move farther down the line as I guess higher status members pay for upgrades.

Thank you

Unfortunately, it is very much par for the course to move down the list, no matter what level you are. However, when people pay for upgrades, if they are already on the list ahead of you, your position on the list would move up. If they are behind you, your position would not change.

You are seeing your position going the wrong way due to new passengers being added to the flight with higher status and/or same status as you but higher fare bucket.

The upgrade list is dynamic, and depending on the route, it may change a lot. I know it's not helping, but there is not much else you can do about it at this point...checking the list is only going to stress yourself out.

jsloan Feb 7, 2023 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34994315)
Unfortunately, it is very much par for the course to move down the list, no matter what level you are. However, when people pay for upgrades, if they are already on the list ahead of you, your position on the list would move up. If they are behind you, your position would not change.

You are seeing your position going the wrong way due to new passengers being added to the flight with higher status and/or same status as you but higher fare bucket.

Or, for complimentary upgrade (CPU) routes only, applying an upgrade instrument where previously they had been hoping for a CPU. For the OP: CPU routes are domestic and short-haul international routes, excluding Hawaii (beyond California) and SFO/LAX-EWR.

In general, though, the most frequent reason is exactly what you have listed: someone moving onto the flight, either by changing to it or buying a new ticket.

n8-the-gr8 Feb 7, 2023 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ghurty (Post 34994153)

Thank you

Ultimately if you want first class, these days your only real guarantee is buying it or taking the cash upgrade offer to confirm it immediately.

I was Global Services for 5 years and that was the only time I would actually pay attention to upgrade lists as it was the only status where I was consistently upgraded if I didn't buy it outright. I find with lower status levels it's easier to not pay attention and if it happens to work out, it's a nice surprise at boarding :)

drewguy Feb 10, 2023 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 34991696)
$425-$550 service fees? Is that on top of the assessed UK APD?

Yes - that's the copay. Though in that fare matrix it appears to include the APD if you buy a premium cabin fare and then waitlist.

4BandE Feb 18, 2023 7:57 pm

Back out RN upgrade and reapply for Polaris/PP with RN available.

I currently have RN space because of confirmed upgrade at booking using plus points but no path to Polaris (except for cash)

Flight now shows RN4. Can I remove the current upgrade and reapply plus points all the way to Polaris and get back into RN immediately but still be on waitlist for Polaris? 1K agent says she can’t force it and the system controls the processing.

No other passengers are on the waitlist for premium plus at this point.

I don’t want to lose my PremPlus space.

Thanks!

PanAmWT Feb 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by 4BandE (Post 35022409)
I currently have RN space because of confirmed upgrade at booking using plus points but no path to Polaris (except for cash)

Flight now shows RN4. Can I remove the current upgrade and reapply plus points all the way to Polaris and get back into RN immediately but still be on waitlist for Polaris? 1K agent says she can’t force it and the system controls the processing.

No other passengers are on the waitlist for premium plus at this point.

I don’t want to lose my PremPlus space.

Thanks!

I don't understand why the 1K agent has such lack of confidence to grab you a RN space when RN=4. I would call again.
Alternatively, if the ticket fare has not increased, you could do this yourself by cancelling and rebook. To reduce the risk, do it in late night and make sure there are still multiple RN available.

Repooc17 Feb 18, 2023 10:22 pm

Every widebody flight today (Feb 18), early morning until late evening, from EWR to SFO has J and PE "overbooked" but checked-in pax count equal or less than total seat count on every flight. UG list after T-24 sweeps relatively short and no clear sign of overbooking. I was on one of the flights, and there were 12 empty J seats (out of 60).

Below is a example (screenshot) - is this a system glitch, or something?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0c0494dba8.png

jsloan Feb 18, 2023 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35022596)
Every widebody flight today (Feb 18), early morning until late evening, from EWR to SFO has J and PE "overbooked" but checked-in pax count equal or less than total seat count on every flight. UG list after T-24 sweeps relatively short and no clear sign of overbooking. I was on one of the flights, and there were 12 empty J seats (out of 60).

Below is an example (screenshot) - is this a system glitch, or something?

It’s been, what, five years since UA introduced PE? Seven? And they still haven’t been able to get this screen correct on three-cabin planes. This kind of display error is extremely common.

VRFast Feb 19, 2023 8:22 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35022599)
It’s been, what, five years since UA introduced PE? Seven? And they still haven’t been able to get this screen correct on three-cabin planes. This kind of display error is extremely common.

I would use the app for the upgrade lists. I think that is more reliable and don’t show those weird numbers. Use it conjunction with looking at available fare classes for this particular flight (dummy booking). Assuming expert mode works....

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35022596)

Below is a example (screenshot) - is this a system glitch, or something?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0c0494dba8.png

Repooc17 Feb 19, 2023 9:02 am

Originally Posted by VRFast (Post 35023264)
I would use the app for the upgrade lists. I think that is more reliable and don’t show those weird numbers. Use it conjunction with looking at available fare classes for this particular flight (dummy booking). Assuming expert mode works....

App was giving inaccurate info as well - e.g. saying the business cabin was full when there were a dozen unoccupied seats.

fumje Feb 19, 2023 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35023347)
App was giving inaccurate info as well - e.g. saying the business cabin was full when there were a dozen unoccupied seats.

Did the app and/or website seat map show occupied or empty seats?