FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

Repooc17 Feb 19, 2023 10:07 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 35023409)
Did the app and/or website seat map show occupied or empty seats?

Seat map showed those seats as empty despite upgrade list said (cabin) full all the way through departure.
Also confirmed those seats were empty as I occupied one of them mid-flight because the IFE at my seat was not working.

fumje Feb 19, 2023 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35023493)
Seat map showed those seats as empty despite upgrade list said (cabin) full all the way through departure.
Also confirmed those seats were empty as I occupied one of them mid-flight because the IFE at my seat was not working.

Very odd. I think there were two issues: one was the usual inaccurate website display of booked count, but then some other kind of miscounting underlying that.

Today looks back to normal, i.e. only the one issue of website inaccurately tallying booked with upgrades.

econ Feb 19, 2023 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 35023347)
App was giving inaccurate info as well - e.g. saying the business cabin was full when there were a dozen unoccupied seats.

Possible seat blocking bringing the total count to J capacity, which the app will then display J as Full? (e.g. due to oversell of PE and or Y)

fumje Feb 19, 2023 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35023875)
Possible seat blocking bringing the total count to J capacity, which the app will then display J as Full? (e.g. due to oversell of PE and or Y)

Except that this affected several flights yesterday, and recently I have noticed that hard seat blocks usually coincide with actual seat blocks, ie everything looks selected even if it isn't. So I think it was some computer issue, not normal ops with blocks.

randyqx Feb 19, 2023 6:15 pm

upgrade waitlist for a month hence

i have lost how to see the upgrade list for a flight a month away. can this be done? thx.

PanAmWT Feb 20, 2023 1:18 am

Originally Posted by randyqx (Post 35024482)
i have lost how to see the upgrade list for a flight a month away. can this be done? thx.

No. You can see 7 days if you mess with your devise time. But in any case, I have found every GS agent that I encountered happy to tell me. So just call.

rbakker Mar 5, 2023 2:51 pm

"On aircraft with United Premium Plus, we'll first process United Polaris business class or United Business waitlists for all members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats, using the same priority order that applies to all upgrades. We'll then process waitlists for members with United Economy seats."

Pardon my ignorance but is Premium Plus the same as Premium Economy?

DELee Mar 5, 2023 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 35063567)
"On aircraft with United Premium Plus, we'll first process United Polaris business class or United Business waitlists for all members who have purchased United Premium Plus seats, using the same priority order that applies to all upgrades. We'll then process waitlists for members with United Economy seats."

Pardon my ignorance but is Premium Plus the same as Premium Economy?

Yes - its UA's term.

David

rbakker Mar 5, 2023 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 35063637)
Yes - its UA's term.

David

Thanks! I wish they would make up their mind.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...68eea500b5.jpg

DELee Mar 5, 2023 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by rbakker (Post 35063652)
Thanks! I wish they would make up their mind.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...68eea500b5.jpg

Guess it depends where you look:
For a while there, we (FT UA Forum) had a running bet of what the next product would be - something like Polaris Premium Plus Plus. And you could upgrade to it with Plus Pass Plus Plus Points.

David

PsiFighter37 Mar 5, 2023 4:11 pm

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...db84cdce0.jpeg
So…I’m #1 on the upgrade list, and I was not upgraded despite there being space on the plane. Is this something worth complaining to 1K Voice about?

DELee Mar 5, 2023 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 35063719)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...db84cdce0.jpeg
So…I’m #1 on the upgrade list, and I was not upgraded despite there being space on the plane. Is this something worth complaining to 1K Voice about?

Did you engage with the GA?

David

PsiFighter37 Mar 5, 2023 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 35063878)
Did you engage with the GA?

David

No - aside from coming off as an entitled jerk holding up boarding if a flight that was running late, I know that UA would sometimes upgrade people after boarding was done but before they closed the door. In this case, they pulled up the stairs on the CR7 so quickly that once the door was shut, I didn’t bother. BIH is a microscopic outstation at this point so maybe it’s inexperience - but this is also the second time this year that UA has failed to CPU me once I swipe my boarding pass. Pretty frustrating that a ‘benefit’ seems to be based on whether the GA has properly set up the software / scanner to react appropriately.

jsloan Mar 5, 2023 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 35064337)
but this is also the second time this year that UA has failed to CPU me once I swipe my boarding pass. Pretty frustrating that a ‘benefit’ seems to be based on whether the GA has properly set up the software / scanner to react appropriately.

That's not how it works.

Clearing upgrades and scanning boarding passes are two distinct processes. The only reason that you may find yourself upgraded when you scan your boarding pass is that the agent has already upgraded you. You should show as cleared in the app at that point. The beep and new boarding pass happen for anybody who tries to board with an outdated seat assignment.

The problem isn't that the gate agent "didn't set up the scanner," it's that the gate agent failed to process upgrades, which is supposed to be part of the overall process of handling the flights. Yes, I'd report it to 1K Voice -- how can it ever improve if they don't know it's a problem?

For a situation like the one you showed, first on the upgrade list with available seats on an RJ, where the check-in window closes before boarding begins, I'd just ask the agent, sometime between T-30 and the start of preboarding, if she was planning to process the upgrades before boarding or if I should go ahead and board first.

DELee Mar 5, 2023 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 35064337)
No - aside from coming off as an entitled jerk holding up boarding if a flight that was running late, I know that UA would sometimes upgrade people after boarding was done but before they closed the door. In this case, they pulled up the stairs on the CR7 so quickly that once the door was shut, I didn’t bother. BIH is a microscopic outstation at this point so maybe it’s inexperience - but this is also the second time this year that UA has failed to CPU me once I swipe my boarding pass. Pretty frustrating that a ‘benefit’ seems to be based on whether the GA has properly set up the software / scanner to react appropriately.

Yah - from a smaller station, you'd probably need to basically have to get them to stop what they're doing and pay attention. Also, given that it was a CR7, assume it was SkyWest as the operator and the ground staff accordingly.

David