FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

MARIOCASTRO777 Jun 22, 12 6:40 am

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

Thank you then what can I do with 4 Global upgrades

joseeantonior Jan 3, 16 6:32 pm

There's something I don't understand about the upgrade list.

Let's say I'm a Silver with a waitlisted RPU on K fare. What happens if the RPU doesn't clear by T-120? Will GS CPUs start clearing before my waitlisted RPU? Or will the RPU have priority before those pre-gate CPUs?

Kacee Jan 3, 16 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by joseeantonior (Post 25956240)
There's something I don't understand about the upgrade list.

Let's say I'm a Silver with a waitlisted RPU on K fare. What happens if the RPU doesn't clear by T-120? Will GS CPUs start clearing before my waitlisted RPU? Or will the RPU have priority before those pre-gate CPUs?

GS upgrades will always clear first.

joseeantonior Jan 3, 16 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25956473)
GS upgrades will always clear first.

I was just putting GS as an example. Would all CPUs clear before my RPU clears if no R space opens up? Or is this something unknown?

Kacee Jan 3, 16 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by joseeantonior (Post 25956512)
I was just putting GS as an example. Would all CPUs clear before my RPU clears if no R space opens up? Or is this something unknown?

The instrument should have priority over the CPU. Except for GS CPU and Y/B/M upgrades. Y/B/M priority will change somewhat effective Feb. 1.

And no one (except possibly GS and Y/B/Ms) will clear until the gate if there is no R space.

sanfran8080 Jan 3, 16 7:53 pm

Is this true that UA is doing away completely with CPUs? I know they've drastically made it harder to get but I still get them occasionally.... But do u think they will get rid of all CPUs in the near future?

jayzala Jan 4, 16 4:29 am

Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer (Post 25850875)
I was thinking about much the same issues in this thread based on an experience this week. As a 1K, I checked in for my ORD-IAD flight on Tuesday at T-23 hours traveling on a W fare. When I checked in, the upgrade list showed Capacity of 12 seats (A320) with 8 booked and 6 checked in. I was #1 on the upgrade list. I thought, based on this data that I should have a good chance at the upgrade. Before going to bed (T-12 hours), I was still #1 on the upgrade list, 2 new names appeared in the upgraded list and there were 10 listed as booked. When I awoke in the AM (T-3.5), I was still #1 on the upgrade list and now First was checked in Full with an additional 2 names added to the list.

I could understand 1 or 2 people jumping me but if the listing is meaningless, I would prefer for them to just give a list without any numbering.

I'm having the same issue this morning. I am #1 on the list but I see people throughout the day below me get confirmed for an upgrade and the booked count gets higher and higher.

Are these people applying their instruments at the last minute and getting a confirmed upgrade or just paying for them and then getting upgraded? Does paying for the $129 or so for the upgrade put you as confirmed on the upgrade list?

mkr Jan 4, 16 5:13 am

Originally Posted by sanfran8080 (Post 25956564)
Is this true that UA is doing away completely with CPUs? I know they've drastically made it harder to get but I still get them occasionally.... But do u think they will get rid of all CPUs in the near future?

I highly doubt that CPUs will go away. Many surveys have shown that CPUs are at the top of the list for what Premier members want as part of benefits.

exerda Jan 4, 16 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead (Post 25935425)
So due to WN canceling her flight yesterday (and leaving her with ZERO WN alternatives to get back to NYC before New Year's Day, of course) I put my SO's daughter on a United flight today with miles (standard FC award, but one of the few remaining seats even on UA out of DEN, so thank goodness for high mileage balances, right?).

Anyway, for some reason she shows up as having been upgraded into FC on the Upgrade List. Maybe this is normal, but it surprised me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...pgradelist.jpg

Is this normal?

Noticed the same today. My wife was on both flights as "upgraded" despite being on a standard award.

SFO 1K Jan 4, 16 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jayzala (Post 25957870)
Does paying for the $129 or so for the upgrade put you as confirmed on the upgrade list?

Every time I've paid the $129-$169 my ticket refares to P, Z or A and I do not appear on the upgrade list. I'm treated as a revenue F customer by the app and for any ensuing SDC options I might have available.

findark Jan 4, 16 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by jayzala (Post 25957870)
I'm having the same issue this morning. I am #1 on the list but I see people throughout the day below me get confirmed for an upgrade and the booked count gets higher and higher.

Are these people applying their instruments at the last minute and getting a confirmed upgrade or just paying for them and then getting upgraded? Does paying for the $129 or so for the upgrade put you as confirmed on the upgrade list?

Keep in mind that the standby list is only of people who have checked in. The sweeps are going to get run from the full list, which may include people ahead of you.

TravelTheWorld66 Feb 3, 16 8:30 pm

I had a very odd upgrade experience today on my BOS-EWR flight, and I'm still confused about what happened.

The gate upgrade list showed about 6 people confirmed into F, booked and checked in full. I was left as #1 on the list. I made a joke to the GA saying that there must be a lot of GS and 1Ks on the flight. She took a look at the BPs she had just cleared, and confirmed that a few 1Ks cleared along with a Platinum. This raised a red flag for me. Why did a Platinum clear before a 1K? She explained that if they used an instrument or miles + cash, they would be before me on the list. To prove to me that they were above me on the list, she unconfirmed their upgrade and showed me the list on her computer screen, with the Platinum as #1 and me as #2. This is where things got weird.

When she attempted to re-confirm the upgrade for the Platinum, the list re-arranged itself, placing me as #1 on the list. She had no choice but to upgrade me. I insisted that she give the upgrade to the other person, but she was now convinced that this was how it was supposed to be anyways. The downgraded passenger hadn't yet picked up their F boarding pass, and never approached the gate to find out what happened. Maybe they never knew they had been upgraded in the first place?

Anyways, the whole situation led me to lose a little bit of faith in the accuracy of the gate upgrade list. If anyone has a good explanation for what happened I'd love to hear it. :)

Baze Feb 3, 16 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66 (Post 26130110)
I had a very odd upgrade experience today on my BOS-EWR flight, and I'm still confused about what happened.

The gate upgrade list showed about 6 people confirmed into F, booked and checked in full. I was left as #1 on the list. I made a joke to the GA saying that there must be a lot of GS and 1Ks on the flight. She took a look at the BPs she had just cleared, and confirmed that a few 1Ks cleared along with a Platinum. This raised a red flag for me. Why did a Platinum clear before a 1K? She explained that if they used an instrument or miles + cash, they would be before me on the list. To prove to me that they were above me on the list, she unconfirmed their upgrade and showed me the list on her computer screen, with the Platinum as #1 and me as #2. This is where things got weird.

When she attempted to re-confirm the upgrade for the Platinum, the list re-arranged itself, placing me as #1 on the list. She had no choice but to upgrade me. I insisted that she give the upgrade to the other person, but she was now convinced that this was how it was supposed to be anyways. The downgraded passenger hadn't yet picked up their F boarding pass, and never approached the gate to find out what happened. Maybe they never knew they had been upgraded in the first place?

Anyways, the whole situation led me to lose a little bit of faith in the accuracy of the gate upgrade list. If anyone has a good explanation for what happened I'd love to hear it. :)

Maybe they were on a Y/B fare and after she unconfirmed them the list went to the new thing that if <1K Y/B no longer has priority if within 5 days and waitlisted. Computer is probably still in the growing pains of the change. Don't know if this is what happened but is one possibility.

fumje Feb 5, 16 11:46 am

Clearing within 24hr but before the gate?

Is it possible to clear from the upgrade list (i.e. the one shown on the flight status page) within 24 hours of departure but before getting to the gate? E.g., to be cleared by a computer sweep for instruments/miles/CPU. Or once on the list is any upgrade possibility in the gate agent's hands?