FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

canadiancow Jan 1, 19 2:24 am

Has United said anything about if/how premium economy will affect upgrade priority?

On AC, the priority is cabin, status, then fare class, so a low-status person in premium economy is above a high-status person in economy on the list.

WineCountryUA Jan 1, 19 2:46 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30594325)
Has United said anything about if/how premium economy will affect upgrade priority? ...

Yes

On aircraft with United® Premium Plus, we’ll first process United Polaris business class or United Business waitlists for all members who have purchased United® Premium Plus seats, using the priority order listed above. We’ll then process waitlists for members with United Economy seats, using the same priority order.
Suspect GS will still override due to PN/PZ issue but otherwise sounds similar to AC

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30594325)
On AC, the priority is cabin, status, then fare class, so a low-status person in premium economy is above a high-status person in economy on the list.

jp12687 Jan 6, 19 4:18 pm

So just to be clear GS always clears first over everyone else on both the instrument list and the CPU list? Other GS tie breakers are fare class? Then time of check in?

WineCountryUA Jan 6, 19 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687 (Post 30619434)
So just to be clear GS always clears first over everyone else on both the instrument list and the CPU list? Other GS tie breakers are fare class? Then time of check in?

GS clear into PN which is available before PZ, so inherently any waitlisted GS will clear before any waitlisted PZ (the rest of the folks).At the gate GS will be at top of list, except for displaced passengers and must flys (employees need elsewhere) and a few other special cases) inside the GS group there will be tiers based on Y/M/B fares, then instrument supported, then CPU. Fare class is the second factor, and the third, fourth, ... have gotten a bit more involved with the soon Chase Club cardholders, then the Corporate Preferred participant and then the old final item, sequence number / number of check-in.

rotnkornkid Jan 7, 19 2:43 pm

I feel like this is a question I should be able to find the answer to... sorry if I missed something.

If someone is GS and PN inventory is available at T-120, should a CPU for sure clear at T-120? Or does it not necessarily work that way? Thanks!

fumje Jan 7, 19 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Johnallent (Post 30623958)
I feel like this is a question I should be able to find the answer to... sorry if I missed something.

If someone is GS and PN inventory is available at T-120, should a CPU for sure clear at T-120? Or does it not necessarily work that way? Thanks!

In short, no.

It wouldn't necessarily happen automatically, and it isn't supposed to be done manually any longer. CPU inventory is not the same as PN (or PZ for non-GS).

See this thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ns-2018-a.html
and previous years' discussion for a more comprehensive overview.

thesun Jan 10, 19 1:46 pm

Curious if anyone has a rational explanation for this situation other than the upgrade system just doesn't work correctly.

A320 out of BWI, 7/12 booked at about T-48. BWI is generally not elite heavy. We have two reservations:

Res1, G fare:
  • myself, 1K
  • companion1, general member
Res2: also G, booked as soon as possible after the first reservation
  • Mrs. thesun, 1K
  • companion2, general member
Res1 got upgraded at 3 minutes before T-24, so before check-in. Res2 was checked in and split a few minutes after T-24. After 2 hours, Mrs. thesun was down to #9 on the upgrade list and companion2 was #11 .

Theoretically, when I got upgraded, Mrs. thesun should have been next up and companion2 should be somewhere below her. So for her to drop down to #9 is surprising. It seems unlikely that in 2 hours, 9 1Ks or GS bought higher fare tickets, or 9 people put in mile or instrument supported upgrade requests. I suppose it's possible there were groups of 3 or 4 that got skipped since there was insufficient inventory to upgrade them all at once. Also seems unlikely as all different last names. But who knows, all I can see is what the app tells me.

All the scenarios I can think of seem rather unlikely. It is possible that the system didn't work correctly to my benefit - I could have been higher in the list than I should have. Which would fall into the category of system not working correctly.

findark Jan 10, 19 3:37 pm

How many total on the list of which they were 9 and 11? My best guess is that most of 1-8 were lower status on instrument-supported upgrades, and I have a strong suspicion that invisible list CPUs are capable of jumping waitlisted instruments if the system allocates CPUs but not PZ.

thesun Jan 10, 19 3:47 pm

30ish were visible on the list.

thesun Jan 10, 19 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30638541)
How many total on the list of which they were 9 and 11? My best guess is that most of 1-8 were lower status on instrument-supported upgrades, and I have a strong suspicion that invisible list CPUs are capable of jumping waitlisted instruments if the system allocates CPUs but not PZ.

30ish on the list, a typical amount for bwi. Your guess makes sense, the instrument upgrades would be stuck.

fearless2357 Jan 17, 19 6:41 pm

I am a Plat traveling on Y domestically. Does this mean I am only behind all GS, then 1K on Y/B/M? I am put ahead of the RPU group?

findark Jan 17, 19 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by fearless2357 (Post 30668635)
I am a Plat traveling on Y domestically. Does this mean I am only behind all GS, then 1K on Y/B/M? I am put ahead of the RPU group?

It is generally believed that the answer is no, you would be behind a 1K on a G fare for CPU, but it's not immediately clear how the system was updated to account for Plat YB-ups no longer clearing into PN.

jsloan Jan 17, 19 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30668803)
It is generally believed that the answer is no, you would be behind a 1K on a G fare for CPU, but it's not immediately clear how the system was updated to account for Plat YB-ups no longer clearing into PN.

I think this is probably accurate at the gate. However, a Platinum on a Y fare could clear into open PZ, if it exists, any time before the gate. So, you may or may not be behind 1K instruments (probably are) but would be ahead of 1K CPUs prior to departure -- presuming they don't run CPUs without opening PZ space.

drewguy Jan 22, 19 10:34 am

Here's an odd situation I encountered a few days ago - I share to illustrate how the list works (I think), or to figure out if something didn't work (not making shenanigans claim).

I'm 1K, traveling with companion (no status) on same PNR. 2 RPUs from a GS friend applied to two-leg trip. Check in and we're split - companion retains original reservation locator, I get a new one. First leg UGs don't clear. Second leg showed 2 seats available when we checked in at T-24 (well, T-28), with me as #2 and companion as #3 on UG list, and stayed that way, until a few hours before second flight, when it moved to 3 seats available. About T-4, my companion gets upgraded. I remain #2 on list, with 2 seats available. Closer to flight time, drops to one seat, and then person on list above me is upgraded at gate to last seat.

Here's what I think happened - sound right?

UA upgrade system opened one PN slot ~ T-4 (but not PZ), which my companion got because the RPU had been applied to her reservation a month ago, whereas it was deemed applied to my reservation only after the split occurred around T-24. She had inherited by 1K status for this flight, and "won" the time of application tiebreaker. She jumped #1 (and #2 ) on the visible list, who presumably was 1K on a non-GS RPU but higher fare class than us) because of the PN slot. Then there was a buy-up for the 15th seat, or perhaps a pax who had missed earlier flight, so not an upgrade. Then at the gate they just went on waitlist order without regard to the GS RPU clearing first.

Kacee Jan 22, 19 10:36 am

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post 30686456)
UA upgrade system opened one PN slot ~ T-4 (but not PZ), which my companion got because the RPU had been applied to her reservation a month ago, whereas it was deemed applied to my reservation only after the split occurred around T-24. She had inherited by 1K status for this flight, and "won" the time of application tiebreaker.

Once you've checked in, time of applying the RPU shouldn't matter. The tie-breaker at that point should be time of check-in.

UA broke the upgrade system when it changed fare classes. Mostly impossible to reverse engineer the process right now, because the "rules" as we know them are not being consistently applied.