FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1550031-understanding-united-upgrade-list-comprehensively.html)

jsloan Mar 23, 2023 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Travel Fan (Post 35111090)
Thank you for taking time to provide your valuable insight! Our outbound fare class from SFO is A, not O. Based on this information, I'll take your advice to not get the Chase United Club Card to move up on the list since it appears that it would be of little use since our fare class is below the O class and will instead plan to enjoy Premium Plus. The miles deducted for the wait list for both of us should automatically be returned to my account when we don't get upgraded, correct?

No problem. Yes, that seems like the right plan, and if you happen to get upgraded anyway, so much the better. :)

They should be returned automatically after you fail to clear, but make a note to check your balance after you return home just to be sure.

Chukiechz Mar 24, 2023 4:16 pm

Not sure if this has been answered already….

My family and I are waitlisted for an award ticket using my miles plus points. 2 separate reservations since my wife has my GS status. Figured 2+2 will clear easier.

Flight is still several months out, but had a hypothetical question.

Would a 1k on a revenue ticket using a GS PP be ahead of us on the list, or would we still be higher, but at the bottom of any GS on a paid fare?

I tried to upgrade a friends (non status) flight to NRT this weekend, and they are 16 and 17. I assume the secondary sort is by status.

WineCountryUA Mar 24, 2023 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Chukiechz (Post 35114058)
. ...
My family and I are waitlisted for an award ticket using my miles plus points. 2 separate reservations since my wife has my GS status. Figured 2+2 will clear easier.
Would a 1k on a revenue ticket using a GS PP be ahead of us on the list, or would we still be higher, but at the bottom of any GS on a paid fare?

Both will be waitlisted for PN, paid is higher than award and inside each subgroup will be sorted by status next
The sorted by status, then fare class and award would below paid fares.

Shaetan Mar 24, 2023 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35114082)
Both will be waitlisted for PN, paid is higher than award and inside each subgroup will be sorted by status next

Shouldn't it go status then paid>award bc of fare class?

WineCountryUA Mar 24, 2023 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shaetan (Post 35114108)
Shouldn't it go status then paid>award bc of fare class?

correct,, I know what I wanted to post but wrote the opposite
GS on award is higher than a paid 1K supported by GS PlusPoints

findark Mar 24, 2023 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Chukiechz (Post 35114058)
Not sure if this has been answered already….

Flight is still several months out, but had a hypothetical question.

I tried to upgrade a friends (non status) flight to NRT this weekend, and they are 16 and 17. I assume the secondary sort is by status.

If each reservation has a GS sponsored by a GS instrument, it will be ahead of all non-GS doing anything else.

Chukiechz Mar 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35114120)
correct,, I know what I wanted to post but wrote the opposite
GS on award is higher than a paid 1K supported by GS PlusPoints

awesome that’s what I was hoping!! Thanks for all the info everyone!

caseminole Mar 30, 2023 11:13 am

Premier Gold EZE-IAH-LAX, was #12 upgrade list but dropped off IAH?

Flying international and after check in EZE I was #12 on the upgrade list for IAH-LAX (out of around 20)

Three open seats on the connection, wasn't expecting an upgrade.

At one point I think I slipped to 15

While watching the info board at the gate I noticed two confirmed upgrades, 24 on the list, but I wasn't on the list?

I'm Not upset about not getting the upgrade, I just found it very odd to have dropped off the list entirely?

Why?

a long time Premier Silver, second time flying domestic as a Gold since pmCO

Ideas or thoughts?

PanAmWT Apr 1, 2023 1:45 pm

UA871 4/4/2023, Premium Economy upgrade list shows 17/24 booked. A family member (1K) is thinking of paying fare difference from Y, which will also increase his chance for upgrade to J with +pts. However, PE is not available for sale, even though there should be 7 empty seats. The Y cabin does not appear oversold.

J5 JN5 C5 D5 Z4 ZN4 P4 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O0 ON0 A0 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H6 HN6 Q4 V1 W0

Any guess while PE is not for sale?

Kacee Apr 1, 2023 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 35135984)
UA871 4/4/2023, Premium Economy upgrade list shows 17/24 booked. A family member (1K) is thinking of paying fare difference from Y, which will also increase his chance for upgrade to J with +pts. However, PE is not available for sale, even though there should be 7 empty seats. The Y cabin does not appear oversold.

J5 JN5 C5 D5 Z4 ZN4 P4 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 O0 ON0 A0 R0 RN0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H6 HN6 Q4 V1 W0

That's very curious. Given that Polaris is booked 55/60 three days prior to departure, I would not recommend spending a nickel more to "improve" upgrade priority. Better to spend the money on a buy-up (which is likely cheaper than upfaring to O would be).

leftysauce Apr 1, 2023 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT (Post 35135984)

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35136210)
That's very curious. Given that Polaris is booked 55/60 three days prior to departure, I would not recommend spending a nickel more to "improve" upgrade priority. Better to spend the money on a buy-up (which is likely cheaper than upfaring to O would be).

no idea why but he/she most likely won't jump many spots up the list. Call and see how many people are GS or are booked in PE on the list

Kacee Apr 1, 2023 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by leftysauce (Post 35136220)
no idea why but he/she most likely won't jump many spots up the list. Call and see how many people are GS or are booked in PE on the list

Given that there is no PE inventory for sale, I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

leftysauce Apr 1, 2023 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35136229)
Given that there is no PE inventory for sale, I'm not sure what the point of that would be.

it won't help (i.e. 0 chance of getting upgraded) but just to see what the chance would be if O is open

PanAmWT Apr 2, 2023 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35136210)

Originally Posted by leftysauce (Post 35136220)

Thank you both. Late last night suddenly PE has 8 open seats and this morning he was upgraded to PE. Still no answer why PE=0 for most of yesterday.

porsche534 Apr 4, 2023 10:18 am

Waitlisted 5/28 UA877 1K on an "A' fare outbound 'O' return. Polaris looks fairly open, but only the highest fare classes are for sale.
I'm trying to maximize my chances or take the buy up if reasonable. Is there any downside to removing the PP upgrade request to occasionally check the buy up offer?