Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
You may very well be correct in that Hanlon’s Razor could explain it. I submit however, that in 2014, with our intensely competitive and cutthroat version of capitalism, the inverse could just as easily also be true:

Never attribute to incompetence (mistakes) that which can easily be explained by malice (greed).
They DO NOT INTEND to sell the cheaper fares. It's an oopsies. They're under no obligation to sell them. There's no possible way to paint this as a scam or greed, unless you misunderstand what is happening. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. It's like if a store mislabeled some stuff and people accused them of running a scam because most people bought the properly labeled stuff. Is a completely incoherent theory.

If I have time, I'll dig up old discussion. The keywords are "married segments" and "bug." I've been involved in several discussions about it over the last year.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:32 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It's not a bug. It's not a feature. It has been a fact of life for many years with UA, as I and others have testified. I put it down to UA's incompetent IT programming. As I stated above, my impression is that, curiously, since we moved to the programming hell of the SHARES dinosaur this fact of life does not actually work as well as it used to.

The reason I was irritated by sbm12 is that here is a guy who has been around on this forum almost as long as I have, who has a huge number of posts and is a FlyerTalk Legend, and yet he does not know this simple longstanding fact of life about searching/pricing flights on UA. He starts to trumpet it as if it were something new and disgraceful, when actually some of us have lived with it for years and have learned to exploit it. Where has he been all this time?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
It's not a bug. It's not a feature. It has been a fact of life for many years with UA, as I and others have testified. I put it down to UA's incompetent IT programming. As I stated above, my impression is that, curiously, since we moved to the programming hell of the SHARES dinosaur this fact of life does not actually work as well as it used to.

The reason I was irritated by sbm12 is that here is a guy who has been around on this forum almost as long as I have, who has a huge number of posts and is a FlyerTalk Legend, and yet he does not know this simple longstanding fact of life about searching/pricing flights on UA. He starts to trumpet it as if it were something new and disgraceful, when actually some of us have lived with it for years and have learned to exploit it. Where has he been all this time?
^^^^^

Could not agree more.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Thank you very much. As I wrote, Google searches did not reveal that (now merged) thread.

MODS: If possible, please merge the threads. (Although, with all due respect to Seth, my title is much better! )

Edit: I see it was already done, that was fast, thank you. (Still think my title is better! )

Thank you again Seth.
Thanks again for reaffirming my wish that travel bloggers eventually find jobs rather than driveling.

Old, old, issue
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
There's nothing unsavory going on here except a pro-consumer bug.
Originally Posted by hobo13
… Seems to me that somebody is a little too interested in protecting his own private loophole. Maybe that's why this forum doesn't have a wiki on married segment logic?
I don't mind Seth exposing this - I agree that it would be hypocritical given my wiki-ing. But it shouldn't be labeled as anti-consumer.
I, and several others here, have stated that this information is new to us, which makes hobo13’s comment spot on. It’s clearly anti-consumer, it’s essentially a bait and switch tactic. Like advertising an inexpensive price, putting more expensive items in the front of the store and burying the advertised less expensive items in the back behind the stacks of thingamajigs and making them available only on alternate Mondays and Thursdays.

Those that have known about it, and STATE they have written about it for years, are simply annoyed that others are now learning of it. Perhaps they are fortunate enough to never have been a victim of sleazy marketing. Undoubtedly they’re the same people who want to eliminate newbies from the MS thread and who never want to see something which is beneficial to us exposed for fear of shutdown. Presumably their idea of sharing here is reading about other methods to accumulate points and miles while never writing their own techniques for fear of shutdown. It’s heartening to see that the “I’ve got mine, you’re on your own” attitude is NOT the most prevalent attitude here.

Thanks again to Seth for exposing this shady practice to those of us who were unaware (and who “trusted” UA). It’s reassuring that some people understand the spirit of FT.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:27 pm

I, and several others here, have stated that this information is new to us, which makes hobo13’s comment spot on. It’s clearly anti-consumer, it’s essentially a bait and switch tactic. Like advertising an inexpensive price, putting more expensive items in the front of the store and burying the advertised less expensive items in the back behind the stacks of thingamajigs and making them available only on alternate Mondays and Thursdays.

Those that have known about it, and STATE they have written about it for years, are simply annoyed that others are now learning of it. Perhaps they are fortunate enough to never have been a victim of sleazy marketing. Undoubtedly they’re the same people who want to eliminate newbies from the MS thread and who never want to see something which is beneficial to us exposed for fear of shutdown. Presumably their idea of sharing here is reading about other methods to accumulate points and miles while never writing their own techniques for fear of shutdown. It’s heartening to see that the “I’ve got mine, you’re on your own” attitude is NOT the most prevalent attitude here.

Thanks again to Seth for exposing this shady practice to those of us who were unaware (and who “trusted” UA). It’s reassuring that some people understand the spirit of FT.
Gahhhhhhhh the price isn't advertised anywhere. They don't want to be offering it. This is completely unlike a bait-and-switch. There's nothing shady, just UA accidentally offering cheaper fares than they intend to be. Omg why is this so hard to understand???
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Airlines have priced tickets based on O/D for years. (And there are similar practices in other industries / markets.) The prices that many times not been the the sum of the segments. Hidden city pricing is just another example of this. You can call it deceptive / sleazy if you wish but it is a common airline (not just UA) practice for a long time. In the case we are discussing here, the attempt to enforce O/D pricing can be circumvented by use of multi-destination searches. In a "correctly" (from UA's perspective) functioning IT system UA would catch this (and likely will in the future) but presently does not.

Is O/D pricing deceptive / sleazy? personal judgement call, but knowing it is a common industry practice is an useful understanding for the FF.

Is this useful knowledge that UA's system fails to enforce its O/D pricing in some cases, yeap.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1P
It's not a bug. It's not a feature. ... I put it down to UA's incompetent IT programming.
You must not be a software person, because that is, by definition, a bug.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by hobo13
Cool, another thread filled with analogies

We've already had the mispriced iPad, which apparently it's OK to buy one of, but you're not allowed to pricematch against it! LOL.

Now we get the taxi driver! (which actually seems spot on, BTW)
I too found the iPad analogy ludicrous. Glad I wasn't alone.

Originally Posted by Often1
There is a vast difference betwen purchasing A-C with a connection at B and A-B and B-C. The pricing is different and so are the reasons one might want a connection or a stopover.
So everyone else feels this is a bug due to UAs logic, yet you feel the varying prices for the same set of flights is justified and makes perfect sense in your world?
Wow. Not surprising at all, but still wow. Double WOW.

Originally Posted by g46r
Indeed - what happens if you have IROPS? If you want to go A-C but you buy a multi-segment A-B, and B-C. Let's say A-B is late (or worse even, A-B is cancelled and UA re-routed you A-D-B, arriving at B much later), what's UA's obligation to get you to C? Are you effectively a no-show for B-C because you booked multi-segment?
No.

UA is not intending to offer the cheaper fares. It's a bug. How people think this is a "dirty trick" is completely beyond me. Thanks to recent attention (from people who I am completely shocked to learn didn't already know about the big, frankly), it will probably be fixed soon.

What silliness.
Please have this debate with Often1. He believes (or she) that UA does this by design. See his post up thread. He doesn't think it's a dirty trick though, he believes its acceptable to charge differing rates for same exact flights.
I honestly would like to hear this discourse.

Originally Posted by dr jabadski
i, and several others here, have stated that this information is new to us, which makes hobo13’s comment spot on. It’s clearly anti-consumer, it’s essentially a bait and switch tactic. Like advertising an inexpensive price, putting more expensive items in the front of the store and burying the advertised less expensive items in the back behind the stacks of thingamajigs and making them available only on alternate mondays and thursdays.

Those that have known about it, and state they have written about it for years, are simply annoyed that others are now learning of it. Perhaps they are fortunate enough to never have been a victim of sleazy marketing. Undoubtedly they’re the same people who want to eliminate newbies from the ms thread and who never want to see something which is beneficial to us exposed for fear of shutdown. Presumably their idea of sharing here is reading about other methods to accumulate points and miles while never writing their own techniques for fear of shutdown. It’s heartening to see that the “i’ve got mine, you’re on your own” attitude is not the most prevalent attitude here.

Thanks again to seth for exposing this shady practice to those of us who were unaware (and who “trusted” ua). It’s reassuring that some people understand the spirit of ft.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 8, 2014 at 10:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
So everyone else feels this is a bug due to UAs logic, yet you feel the varying prices for the same set of flights is justified and makes perfect sense in your world?
Wow. Not surprising at all, but still wow. Double WOW.
I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you don't seem to understand what's going on.

UA is not intending to sell these tickets for that price. It's a website error. The two options are to get the ticket at the price UA means to sell it at, or to have the option of that price or an error price. How you could possibly understand the latter situation (the current situation) as bad for consumers, or deceptive, or a scam, is completely beyond me.

It's a mislabeled price on an item in a store. That's all it is. If you think the analogy is inapt, that's because you misunderstand the situation.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1P

Awww poor baby, I don't care how many people get screwed just don't tell them and ruin it for the rest of us........
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Awww poor baby, I don't care how many people get screwed just don't tell them and ruin it for the rest of us........
But it's not getting screwed, it's just getting the price that UA intends... why is this so hard for people to understand? If us fixes this, it won't help anyone.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:54 pm

But it's not getting screwed, it's just getting the price that UA intends... why is this so hard for people to understand? If us fixes this, it won't help anyone.
Why are you so upset that Seth informed everyone? Because UA will fix the so called bug.?? Why is it that 1P was upset that it is being explained to the masses? Oh that's right......because if this loophole gets closed he will no longer be able to exploit it while others are paying the "right" price. Right?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Why are you so upset that Seth informed everyone? Because UA will fix the so called bug.?? Why is it that 1P was upset that it is being explained to the masses? Oh that's right......because if this loophole gets closed he will no longer be able to exploit it while others are paying the "right" price. Right?
I don't care if they fix the bug. Accusing us of wanting to keep it as our little secret is a convenient way of avoiding the real issue. I haven't used the bug in months. What bothers me, and what appears to bother others, is that Seth acted like he discovered something, and misrepresented (IMO) the nature of the thing.

My only point about them fixing the problem is that the current situation is BETTER, so making it out as some anti-consumer evil thing that needs to be fixed is exactly the opposite of reality.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:23 pm

My only point about them fixing the problem is that the current situation is BETTER, so making it out as some anti-consumer evil thing that needs to be fixed is exactly the opposite of reality.
It is BETTER for everyone as long as EVERYONE means me myself and maybe a few others, when EVERYONE really means EVERYONE well then I'm just kidding, my bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.