Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:45 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk blahtoxic
Please follow this thread as I move it to the UA Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If you've bought it from UA, it's legal. What's more, when I've done things like this, they have checked my bag right through. Once they did ask a question, but I played ignorant and just said that I was flying to [the final destination] so I didn't understand what the problem was.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I wouldn't be so sure about them not checking your baggage all the way through at ORD. I had an itinerary with a 6 hour 40 minute connection in ORD and I was contemplating on doing a SDC to a different international flight. I was afraid that if I checked my bag I would run the risk of them not wanting to retrieve my bag should I decide to SDC when I got to ORD.

Initially I was told that my bag could be short checked, but then another agent objected and said the bag must be tagged as ticketed. This agent then went on to say they can not short tag because passengers were doing this to circumvent fare rules and asked if I had heard about the lawsuit against skiplagged.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: 1K
If you were booking in a GDS, you might into issues with the pricing and United could fine you (debit memo). However, if UA.bomb is letting you book this, it is fair game!

I used to do this EVERY week. You often get better pricing and can pick the exact segments you want. I have never had issues checking bags all the way through. Keep in mind that you will need pick up and re-check your bag after you clear customs in EWR (when returning from BOM).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:01 am

I have absolutely no problems if they check my bag through. Also, I will be buying the itinerary from United.com
FWIW, I will be United Silver at that time

I had this weird feeling that either what I was doing was illegal or there was a catch that I wasn't seeing. I was considering flying ORD LGA EWR BOM to prevent suspicion but NYC traffic can make 5 hour layover insufficient.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
There is no issue doing this, I do it all the time.
There should be no issue checking your bag all the way through even if they were on separate tickets. Especially with the flights being on the same airline.

From the way you're booking it will all be on the same ticket. when you checkin on the kiosk it should automatically check your bag thru actually. Double check though. You should get both BPs too.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Perfectly legal. It's on a single ticket, they will absolutely check your bags through.

It's not technically a married segment issue; if it were, you would not be able to book the separate segments. UA would like to charge you the $1600 through fare but the system lets you book it differently.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Wait, are you guys saying that the UA multi city tool just end-on-ends everything rather than treating it as a through fare when possible ?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If my terminology is correct, Married Segment would be if UA123 was ORD-EWR-BOM all with the same flight number. If I recall, it can cause issues with upgrades and getting the right miles. Even in that case, you should be able to multi-city book ORD-EWR and EWR-BOM separately. In anycase, your ability to checked bags wouldnt be affected.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
If my terminology is correct, Married Segment would be if UA123 was ORD-EWR-BOM all with the same flight number. If I recall, it can cause issues with upgrades and getting the right miles.
It's not. Married segments means UA won't sell them as separate segments. You have to buy the through fare.

Even in that case, you should be able to multi-city book ORD-EWR and EWR-BOM separately. In anycase, your ability to checked bags wouldnt be affected.
The defining characteristic of married segments is you cannot book them separately.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Wait, are you guys saying that the UA multi city tool just end-on-ends everything rather than treating it as a through fare when possible ?
I don't think it happens ALL the time. I'm not sure exactly how UA.bomb does it, but I think that it gives you the cheaper option (thru vs end-to-end) when you search using multi-city. However, when you book it using the typical "Round Trip" option, it always books it as thru.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not. Married segments means UA won't sell them as separate segments. You have to buy the through fare.

The defining characteristic of married segments is you cannot book them separately.
Ah, ok. So like the old SFO-SYD-MEL, you couldnt just book SYD-MEL. Luckily I have never had to deal with this issue directly. Thanks for clarifying
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:20 am

One last question: Say my ORD-EWR flight is super-duper late (I intend to keep a 7 hour layover which I think is a lot even if I recheck bags) and I can't make it in time for EWR-BOM.

Will I be rebooked for my EWR-BOM flight for free?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:22 am

Yes. If your PNR has ORD-EWR-BOM and you arrive at EWR with not enough time to make EWR-BOM, they will rebook you. Though, a good agent will usually try to find another way to get you to BOM if that occurs. Like if you are at ORD already and they know you wont make it. They should start looking for options thru another route or another airline.

I typically book long layovers because I don't trust UA to be ontime and don't want to risk losing my upgraded seat and/or have to wait 24hrs. 7 is a bit much. I usually aim for 3hrs
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by eng3
Ah, ok. So like the old SFO-SYD-MEL, you couldnt just book SYD-MEL. Luckily I have never had to deal with this issue directly. Thanks for clarifying
That's because UA didn't have the rights to sell SYD-MEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.