Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deceptive pricing on connecting itineraries {workaround to married segment pricing}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hobo13
Huh? The premise of FT is pro-consumer (for the most part). Isn't that why you create wiki's upon wiki's?

Seems to me that somebody is a little too interested in protecting his own private loophole. Maybe that's why this forum doesn't have a wiki on married segment logic?
I don't mind Seth exposing this - I agree that it would be hypocritical given my wiki-ing. But it shouldn't be labeled as anti-consumer.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:09 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I don't mind Seth exposing this - I agree that it would be hypocritical given my wiki-ing. But it shouldn't be labeled as anti-consumer.
I replied to your post in the blog and I have posted a screenshot of the fares filed by UA in milepoint.

Definitely not a clever AAA-BBB+BBB-CCC workaround here on my part. UA is not showing their own filed fares accurately.

K fare for PIT-PHX is $284+tax roundtrip.

ETA: I see what you mean now, still deceptive IMO.

Last edited by golfingboy; Feb 3, 2014 at 9:22 am
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
There's nothing unsavory going on here except a pro-consumer bug.
I suppose that's one way to look at it.

Another is to say that United is both greedy AND stupid in its pricing/fare bucket structure.

United wants a spoke and hub system but wants to charge nonstop prices. Greedy.

But it can't set up its website to differentiate between a married connection and a series of nonstops. Stupid.

As Sykes points out, even if United fixed the stupid part, one could still just nest a series of lower fare-bucket tickets rather than combining them.

This is, as smb12 says in the OP, very much a buyer beware situation.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Another is to say that United is both greedy AND stupid
At any given moment, 50% of the threads in this forum could be used as evidence of that statement.

See, for example, the new award chart changes supposedly taking effect as we speak.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
At any given moment, 50% of the threads in this forum could be used as evidence of that statement.

See, for example, the new award chart changes supposedly taking effect as we speak.
It's amusing.

They WANT to be greedy but they're just don't have the skillz (technical OR management) to pull it off consistently!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:18 am

The issue here is the semantics/intent of the ".bomb lowest fare guarantee". If I called to book and selected AAA->BBB->CCC as a married connection, booking the same flight online should yield the same price. Now, if I called in and booked 2 nonstops AAA->BBB and BBB->CCC, then that is different from the first option, and .bomb would price that out at the same price.

However, would an agent actually let me book those 2 flight segments separately? Or would alarm bells go off and they would treat it as a married connection and make me pay the higher price? As many have already said, you're basically tricking the booking engine to generate a itinerary/fare that an agent would argue with you about.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by grimjack2k
The issue here is the semantics/intent of the ".bomb lowest fare guarantee". If I called to book and selected AAA->BBB->CCC as a married connection, booking the same flight online should yield the same price. Now, if I called in and booked 2 nonstops AAA->BBB and BBB->CCC, then that is different from the first option, and .bomb would price that out at the same price.

However, would an agent actually let me book those 2 flight segments separately? Or would alarm bells go off and they would treat it as a married connection and make me pay the higher price? As many have already said, you're basically tricking the booking engine to generate a itinerary/fare that an agent would argue with you about.
The real problem is that this system makes 'airline logic' sense, but does not make 'logical' sense.

If a taxi charged $15 to go from your home to a restaurant via the grocery store, but $4 for home to the grocery store then $6 from the grocery store to the restaurant you'd be incredulous.

But somehow in the world of aviation it makes perfect sense. <shrug>
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Prior to the merger, United would almost always show the cheapest routing without jumping through hoops. Sometimes a search for COS-OGG would offer something like COS-DEN-LAX-PDX-SFO-OGG for example. The opportunity to save some significant dollars was straight forward, and the consumer could decide if the connections justified the savings.

Now, I spend more time searching in different ways for a simple city pair, just to make sure I'm spending my employer's money in the most efficient way. This, combined with the many other changes has proven frustrating to say the least.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Prior to the merger, United would almost always show the cheapest routing without jumping through hoops. Sometimes a search for COS-OGG would offer something like COS-DEN-LAX-PDX-SFO-OGG for example. The opportunity to save some significant dollars was straight forward, and the consumer could decide if the connections justified the savings.
Precisely.

To be fair, I blame Apple. Over the past 5 years, it seems that anything on the web has been catered to the lowest idiot, because that's what sells. We're in an era where simplicity is favored over complete information. So United can rightly say 'oh, we're making it simple for consumers'.

We KNOW what they want.
We will tell them what they want.
And we will only give them what we tell them they want.

(Who does that sound like?)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
But isn't sbm12's point that you can consistently get the lower price if you know how to find it? And yet UA purports to guarantee that .com will find it for you. When it often will not.
I saved a couple hundred bucks on a PDX-LGA itin booking this way - multi-city is great ^

While UA's systems are now crap, this is one of a couple ways to work it to your advantage (queue jumping w/R space another)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kale73
This is a "known known".
Hey, they have to find that $2B somewhere, so the pockets of unwary customers is the place to go.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:58 am

If a taxi charged $15 to go from your home to a restaurant via the grocery store, but $4 for home to the grocery store then $6 from the grocery store to the restaurant you'd be incredulous.
Cool, another thread filled with analogies

We've already had the mispriced iPad, which apparently it's OK to buy one of, but you're not allowed to pricematch against it! LOL.

Now we get the taxi driver! (which actually seems spot on, BTW)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The real problem is that this system makes 'airline logic' sense, but does not make 'logical' sense.

But somehow in the world of aviation it makes perfect sense. <shrug>
^
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Thanks for posting this Seth.

The same logic hold true when pricing out international trips as well. Sometimes specifying the stop in NRT on the way to SIN gets a lower price.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a vast difference betwen purchasing A-C with a connection at B and A-B and B-C. The pricing is different and so are the reasons one might want a connection or a stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.