FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1546602-mp-accounts-closed-ua-alleging-fraud-misuse.html)

747FC Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31772270)
It doesn’t matter.

The combination of gender, date of birth, and billing address ZIP code is nearly unique. (Assume a 60 year age range for MP members, and male/female only, to be conservative: 60 * 2 * 365 = 43,800. The largest ZIP code in the country has just over 115K residents, so an average of ~2.5. The average population of a ZIP code is less than 8,000.

If UA (or any other company) wants to identify an individual with a high degree of certainty, they don’t need as much information as one might think.

Right idea, but your math is, I believe, incorrect:

Probability of someone born on specific date in a specific year of a 60-year period, of a specific sex, and living in a specific state is 4.56621005e-7. Quite small and indeed a unique identifier, specifically if you substitute zip code for state in the equation.

ctownflyer Nov 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by bart889 (Post 31772413)
I briefly dated a woman who was banned for life from AA. Something about too much booze and a fistfight with an FA. Luckily for her, she was based out of ORD, so she switched to UA to keep her traveling sales rep career alive.

Yup, when it comes to safety, airlines will hand out actual flight bans.
But airline compliance and revenue protection units terminate mileage accounts.

zombietooth Nov 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 31772262)
You might see some clues in THIS POST.

How did he get reinstated with MP?--Another blog implied that he currently has a MP account, or is this incorrect?

Some stories claim he stole "tens of thousands", others say less. Does anyone know the real extent of his malfeasance?

ctownflyer Nov 24, 2019 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 31772607)
Another blog implied that he currently has a MP account, or is this incorrect?

Link?

cesco.g Nov 24, 2019 3:58 pm

How did he get reinstated with MP?--Another blog implied that he currently has a MP account, or is this incorrect?

Some stories claim he stole "tens of thousands", others say less. Does anyone know the real extent of his malfeasance?

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31772762)
Link?

From his most recent UA trip report:

"I pride myself in the independence of my reviews, and that includes doing everything in my power to “fly under the radar.” However, in this case I had contacted United in advance to ask if I could board early."

So, at least he seems to still cultivate some kind of relation with UA ....

ctownflyer Nov 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 31772777)

"I pride myself in the independence of my reviews, and that includes doing everything in my power to “fly under the radar.” However, in this case I had contacted United in advance to ask if I could board early."

What does this have anything to do with MileagePlus :confused:

Just because MP doesn't want him doesn't mean UA PR is going to turn down free publicity.

ani90 Nov 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31772894)

Just because MP doesn't want him doesn't mean UA PR is going to turn down free publicity.

I am even more puzzled as to what all this lucky business has to do with the subject of this thread.

PsiFighter37 Nov 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 31772777)

I'm pretty sure the only way Lucky can fly UA is to pay for tickets as a UA kettle (no MP number) or (from what I can tell reading his more recent UA travel reports) getting award tickets by using the points of United partners (e.g. Air Canada / Aeroplan).

fumje Nov 24, 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 31772270)
It doesn’t matter.

The combination of gender, date of birth, and billing address ZIP code is nearly unique. (Assume a 60 year age range for MP members, and male/female only, to be conservative: 60 * 2 * 365 = 43,800. The largest ZIP code in the country has just over 115K residents, so an average of ~2.5. The average population of a ZIP code is less than 8,000.

If UA (or any other company) wants to identify an individual with a high degree of certainty, they don’t need as much information as one might think.

I'm actually not sure what the question is.

If it pertains to identifying whether or not one individual is managing multiple MP accounts, a VPN can potentially obscure the answer to that question.

If it pertains to identifying whether or not someone who has been banned is attempting to fly under guise, then yes the required personal data points are too many to go unnoticed. Name and DOB are in almost all cases enough for that.

cesco.g Nov 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31772894)

I was referring to the post above which seemed to indicate that Lucky and UA have settled their (MP)-differences.

WineCountryUA Nov 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ani90 (Post 31772906)
I am even more puzzled as to what all this lucky business has to do with the subject of this thread.

Agree, let's return to the thread's subject. There are plenty of threads elsewhere on FT of the other topic.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

jsloan Nov 25, 2019 4:44 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 31772932)
I'm actually not sure what the question is.

If it pertains to identifying whether or not one individual is managing multiple MP accounts, a VPN can potentially obscure the answer to that question.

If it pertains to identifying whether or not someone who has been banned is attempting to fly under guise, then yes the required personal data points are too many to go unnoticed. Name and DOB are in almost all cases enough for that.

Granted; specifically, I thought the suggestion was to use a VPN to hide the fact that new user B was actually banned user A. That has no chance of being successful. Using a VPN to hide that user A is managing the accounts for unrelated users B, C, and D? Maybe, although I don’t think UA likely investigates that unless they have cause, at which point there will likely be other telltale factors beyond IP address.

LondonElite Nov 25, 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by bart889 (Post 31772413)
I briefly dated a woman who was banned for life from AA. Something about too much booze and a fistfight with an FA. Luckily for her, she was based out of ORD, so she switched to UA to keep her traveling sales rep career alive.

In another thread I’d be interested in how some of those dates played out!

mozilla Nov 25, 2019 8:08 am

UA's website is behind Akamai's CDN, and UA has configured it so that it filters out many of the publicly available VPN IP ranges. Ironically, as those who travel INTL may testify, the IP's that belong to some busy *G/*A business lounges are also actively being filtered.

Corporate VPN's usually get through, especially when you connect to an on-site corporate router or firewall and get an IP of your corporate netblock.

Originally Posted by ekwang (Post 31765697)
If United wanted to really go down the anti-fraud road, they would simply run all traffic through a geo-iIP service provider like Neustar or Digital Element and they would identify source, network, A/S number and more about all inbound IP traffic. Assuming United wants to do this, of course.

Akamai can definitely already provide all this information.

LondonElite Nov 25, 2019 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mozilla (Post 31774582)
UA's website is behind Akamai's CDN, and UA has configured it so that it filters out many of the publicly available VPN IP ranges. Ironically, as those who travel INTL may testify, the IP's that belong to some busy *G/*A business lounges are also actively being filtered.

Corporate VPN's usually get through, especially when you connect to an on-site corporate router or firewall and get an IP of your corporate netblock.

Akamai can definitely already provide all this information.

Sorry, can you repeat that in more basic terms please?