FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1546602-mp-accounts-closed-ua-alleging-fraud-misuse.html)

WineCountryUA Nov 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by ani90 (Post 31759624)
... What puzzles me though is why someone thrown out of a program would want to go back to that same program when options exist? ...

Do options exist, such as,
-- UA is employer's preferred airline
-- OP is at a UA captive hub
-- or OP's destinations are only served by UA

ani90 Nov 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31759653)
Do options exist, such as,

But then option of another star alliance program exists. Not good for domestic heavy traveller but better than nothing.

Steve M Nov 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 31759653)

As some others have pointed out, there's nothing preventing the OP from buying UA tickets and flying UA in any of the above situations. UA didn't fire the OP as a passenger - only as an MP member. If mileage accrual is the issue, then joining another *A carrier's program and crediting UA flights to it would work. They could even be used to redeem award travel on UA. What will be missing is any kind of elite benefit, or the ability to get a UA credit card for benefits or join the UC (since both of those things are tied to the MP account).

Repooc17 Nov 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 31759046)
You can check with Lucky perhaps. United shut him down and I am not sure if he is back on UA now.
At least it was not a chase shut down - cost me 4 years time.

He posted a UA review this week on a day time TATL flight ex US

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 31758835)
Yup. If I, say worked at United, I might consider making a post like this every now and then, just to keep potential upgrade sellers scared straight. I'd probably make at least a few other posts on different topics though, so forum members would think I was legit. Just sayin.

It would not be stretch to speculate one or more upgrades may have been purchased by a representative of United posing as a buyer.

ContinentalFan Nov 20, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 31759046)
You can check with Lucky perhaps. United shut him down and I am not sure if he is back on UA now.
At least it was not a chase shut down - cost me 4 years time.

What’s a chase shut down? I’m guessing manufactured spending or something like that?

ctownflyer Nov 20, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 31759940)
He posted a UA review this week on a day time TATL flight ex US

People seem to ask this every time.
He's banned from MP, not from UA.

tom911 Nov 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan (Post 31760116)
What’s a chase shut down? I’m guessing manufactured spending or something like that?

Could be for that or providing fraudulent income information, too. We've seem a number of posts the last few years where members inflate income to get credit cards, and then when asked to provide proof of income come up with all sorts of creative ways to try to work around not having supporting tax documentation, such as it being planned income or family money given to them.

phkc070408 Nov 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Slightly OT, but a quick eBay search also shows a ton of United Club one-time passes for sale. Back when they were the card-stock versions, it was easier to have a "buddy" buy or sell them for you. Now, with the E-passes, I would be extremely hesitant to sell mine online. They are definitely linked to you because I can see my usage history (last 2 were used in SFO on this date, the 2 before that expired on this date, etc).

I would probably be hesitant to buy then online as well, since I'm sure they could tell that they aren't mine when I scan them (although they have no way of knowing if I bought them or they were gifted to me).

mozilla Nov 21, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 31759821)
What will be missing is any kind of elite benefit, or the ability to get a UA credit card for benefits or join the UC (since both of those things are tied to the MP account).

If he obtains and maintains XX*G, where XX is not UA, he'll enjoy "complimentary" UC "membership" and a selection of other elite benefits on UA.

ContinentalFan Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 31760257)
Could be for that or providing fraudulent income information, too. We've seem a number of posts the last few years where members inflate income to get credit cards, and then when asked to provide proof of income come up with all sorts of creative ways to try to work around not having supporting tax documentation, such as it being planned income or family money given to them.

I very much doubt that’s the reason.

Miggles Nov 21, 2019 9:57 pm

I don't think UA banned you from flying them, did they? I think they simply said you can no longer be a Mileage Plus member. Also, I wonder whenever I hear of someone deciding to sell a membership benefit rather than use it, then perhaps that membership isn't offering much value to them in the first place.

FL390 Nov 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31760202)
People seem to ask this every time.
He's banned from MP, not from UA.

What did he do to get banned?

LondonElite Nov 22, 2019 5:17 am

Originally Posted by FL390 (Post 31764319)
What did he do to get banned?

Originally Posted by UAMP1K (Post 31757693)
I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.

Sold RPUs or GPUs

cmdinnyc Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 31758984)
I don’t see why they can’t open a new account with a different address. Unless their name is very unique and easy to match.

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 31759002)
DOB will also match.

First name, last name and DOB are not that unique. However, UA has access to additional data like passport numbers, credit card numbers, etc., all of which are far more unique. If the OP is willing to get a new address, new credit cards (or use some of the alternatives), and a new phone number, for their domestic travel only, maybe they could skirt by?

ekwang Nov 22, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 22247797)
Do we really think the United IT is adept enough to monitor and manage what IP address transactions are coming from?? And there have to be thousands if not millions of people who do this. Mrs. Milepig manages her director's account for him.

It really isn’t that difficult. If United wanted to really go down the anti-fraud road, they would simply run all traffic through a geo-iIP service provider like Neustar or Digital Element and they would identify source, network, A/S number and more about all inbound IP traffic. Assuming United wants to do this, of course.