FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1546602-mp-accounts-closed-ua-alleging-fraud-misuse.html)

A Little Cow Nov 22, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc (Post 31765666)
First name, last name and DOB are not that unique. However, UA has access to additional data like passport numbers, credit card numbers, etc., all of which are far more unique. If the OP is willing to get a new address, new credit cards (or use some of the alternatives), and a new phone number, for their domestic travel only, maybe they could skirt by?

To play it safe, you should also get a legal name change, burn off your finger prints, and move to a different continent. :rolleyes:

Perhaps easier to credit elsewhere and "enjoy" free domestic lounge access.

mduell Nov 22, 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31760202)
People seem to ask this every time.
He's banned from MP, not from UA.

He's also been banned from UA at some points.

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 31765043)
Sold RPUs or GPUs

FL390 seems to be asking about Lucky, not about the recent poster.

zombietooth Nov 22, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ekwang (Post 31765697)
It really isn’t that difficult. If United wanted to really go down the anti-fraud road, they would simply run all traffic through a geo-iIP service provider like Neustar or Digital Element and they would identify source, network, A/S number and more about all inbound IP traffic. Assuming United wants to do this, of course.

Will these assets work against VPNs?

fumje Nov 23, 2019 5:34 am

Originally Posted by ekwang (Post 31765697)

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 22247797)
Do we really think the United IT is adept enough to monitor and manage what IP address transactions are coming from?? And there have to be thousands if not millions of people who do this. Mrs. Milepig manages her director's account for him.

It really isn’t that difficult. If United wanted to really go down the anti-fraud road, they would simply run all traffic through a geo-iIP service provider like Neustar or Digital Element and they would identify source, network, A/S number and more about all inbound IP traffic. Assuming United wants to do this, of course.

Note that it is quite an old post you are quoting. In any case, they do at minimum record the IP address for united.com bookings in the PNR remarks.

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 31765932)
Will these assets work against VPNs?

I'm not familiar with those services, but as far as I understand the only way they could 'trace' through a VPN is to have access to the VPN provider's internal network somehow. So probably no.

Imstevek Nov 23, 2019 6:32 am

“If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime”

eng3 Nov 23, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by UAMP1K (Post 31757693)
I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.

Your only option is to talk to UA and try to convince them.
This may be a good time to leave the program anyways with all the recent changes, however if you are hub captive or forced to fly UA for other reasons, it may be tough.

You are ofcourse to blame for not knowing the rule, but it is understandable. I think most FF are unaware of the no sale/barter rule, but those are probably also the type to not bother trying to sell either. Most of my 1K/GS friends are totally unaware. UA does not take much effort to educate their FF about the rule (at least not compared to other rules like carry-on baggage), but they certainly expend alot of resources to make it hard to use the upgrades and try to catch people who break the rule. UA has been known to "buy/sell" upgrades to try to catch people. Makes me wonder about all the posts in the coupon connection forum.

I do applaud you for coming out and being open and honest. Usually it takes at least 10 pages to get the real story out

narvik Nov 23, 2019 6:54 am

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 31768488)

I do applaud you for coming out and being open and honest. Usually it takes at least 10 pages to get the real story out

That's very true! ^

kale73 Nov 23, 2019 7:55 am

I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc (Post 31765666)
First name, last name and DOB are not that unique. However, UA has access to additional data like passport numbers, credit card numbers, etc., all of which are far more unique. If the OP is willing to get a new address, new credit cards (or use some of the alternatives), and a new phone number, for their domestic travel only, maybe they could skirt by?

Originally Posted by A Little Cow (Post 31765699)
To play it safe, you should also get a legal name change, burn off your finger prints, and move to a different continent. :rolleyes:.

If OP has information of value to the FBI, s/he could be eligible for the Federal Witness Protection Program and could apply for a new MP account using the new identity.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31759613)
If it's worth $0.53 to mail a short letter apologizing and taking 100% responsibility with no excuses of any kind, go ahead and send it.

USPS First Class postage rates increased to $0.55 on January 27, 2019.

RNE Nov 24, 2019 10:30 am

Is there any way I can get back to the program?

Yes, there's one surefire way to get back into MileagePlus. Scrounge up a few billion dollars and buy a controlling interest in United Airlines Holdings, Inc. Bingo! You're back in.

RNE, dispensing practical advice.

P.S. Oh, and please fire Oscar.

tom911 Nov 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by FL390 (Post 31764319)
What did he do to get banned?

You might see some clues in THIS POST.

jsloan Nov 24, 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 31768353)
Note that it is quite an old post you are quoting. In any case, they do at minimum record the IP address for united.com bookings in the PNR remarks.

I'm not familiar with those services, but as far as I understand the only way they could 'trace' through a VPN is to have access to the VPN provider's internal network somehow. So probably no.

It doesn’t matter.

The combination of gender, date of birth, and billing address ZIP code is nearly unique. (Assume a 60 year age range for MP members, and male/female only, to be conservative: 60 * 2 * 365 = 43,800. The largest ZIP code in the country has just over 115K residents, so an average of ~2.5. The average population of a ZIP code is less than 8,000.

If UA (or any other company) wants to identify an individual with a high degree of certainty, they don’t need as much information as one might think.

ctownflyer Nov 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 31765842)
He's also been banned from UA at some points.

[citation needed]

Airlines almost never ban passengers. Why would they unless you're a safety threat? They toss members from the mileage programs all the time.

bart889 Nov 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer (Post 31772278)

Airlines almost never ban passengers. Why would they unless you're a safety threat? They toss members from the mileage programs all the time.

I briefly dated a woman who was banned for life from AA. Something about too much booze and a fistfight with an FA. Luckily for her, she was based out of ORD, so she switched to UA to keep her traveling sales rep career alive.

jsn55 Nov 24, 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Imstevek (Post 31768450)
“If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime”

SO true! a) why are people dishonest and dumb? b) why do they think someone should help them after they're been dishonest and dumb? If it weren't so pathetic, a post like this this would be funny. We all may use the internet for a billion things, but we're still humans and are expected to show some character.

Often1 Nov 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Other than situations which are or border on criminal (whether or not resulting in a prosecution) are a bit different than petty frauds. The latter are easily dealt with by closing the FF account. Probably has most people headed off to another carrier unless they don't have any choice.

The problem with ticket fraud, whether it's through the FFP, hidden city or whatever is that most people don't look at the revenue loss to the carrier, but the carrier certainly does.