FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1546602-mp-accounts-closed-ua-alleging-fraud-misuse.html)

jmcintosh Sep 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Honest question: can you give away GPUs here on FT or does that violate the rules?

mahasamatman Sep 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jmcintosh (Post 30231728)
Honest question: can you give away GPUs here on FT or does that violate the rules?

You can give them away, but you are not allowed to receive anything in return (although I believe a "thank you" is still OK).

EMan Sep 22, 2018 3:51 am

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 30228298)
So if UA really offers GPUs for sale on ebay (to catch potential buyers)

.....I can't believe that even UA would do this, at least not since Jeff left!
However, I do believe they will have their "bounty hunter" (why do they need more than one low-salaried person?) respond to ads selling GPUs.

JonNYC Sep 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 30228298)
So if UA really offers GPUs for sale on ebay (to catch potential buyers), that at the minimum violates eBay T&Cs. But offering something for sale that they don't intend to give. False advertising, fraud?

The departments at the programs that pursue program fraud, etc (not to say the particular action referenced,) on eBay have an agreement with eBay.

whereiswaldo Sep 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by EMan (Post 30230785)
You and your wife should be receiving Birthday & Xmas presents from UA! ��

You do know you can give them away to Anyone On The Planet and NOT be breaking any Rules!? (I.e. Isn't there a charity you'd like to support?........Make-A-Wish Foundation for instance?)

United does not facilitate / allow the United-processed donation of upgrade certificates as opposed to miles themselves. I asked a while back. Otherwise, we carefully upgrade family or co-workers. Do upgrades go to waste? Plenty. But we will not impair our status (both GS) over someone behaving stupidly on a gifted GPU/RPU. I have seen too much of said while traveling.

UAMP1K Nov 20, 2019 7:33 am

Mileageplus account closed by MP Compliance

I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.

dilanesp Nov 20, 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by UAMP1K (Post 31757693)
I was 1K for 5 years with United. I sold few upgrades online and recently I got an email from MP compliance saying my account is cancelled. I opened a new account and that was too cancelled; MP compliance folks emailed and shared a link that says I cannot have another account too. No communication by email since months from MP Compliance team.

question — anyone with similar situation? Is there any way I can get back to the program? Please share your experience.

It's well established that you can't sell upgrades online. You can try writing a letter fessing up everything and apologizing, but don't expect a high chance of success.

NoLaGent Nov 20, 2019 7:42 am

This forum has many stories identical to yours in it over the years.

You broke the rules. You got caught.

Time to find a new airline. As you've now seen twice, UA won't be taking you back.

ctownflyer Nov 20, 2019 7:45 am

Sorry, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You can try writing an apology letter, but it's not likely to help.
Try AA or DL, though beware that AA compliance is far more vicious than UA.

UAMP1K Nov 20, 2019 7:59 am

I never bothered to check the rules but no excuses here, I was wrong. Just trying to find ways if anybody got lucky. Thanks for your replies and advices.

enviroian Nov 20, 2019 8:00 am

Originally Posted by UAMP1K (Post 31757693)
I sold few upgrades online

Why would you do this?

UAMP1K Nov 20, 2019 8:04 am

Why would you do this?

Well I has like several upgrades and came across folks selling on craigslist and ebay. Found a travel agent who who paid for those upgrades, so just got carried away...its simple but dangerous when I think back now.

Kacee Nov 20, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by UAMP1K (Post 31757794)
I never bothered to check the rules but no excuses here, I was wrong. Just trying to find ways if anybody got lucky. Thanks for your replies and advices.

In some instances, a candid acceptance of responsibility and apology has resulted in being allowed to maintain a MP account.

In this case, attempting to open a new account after the old one was closed likely shuts the door on that possibility. Probably best to just move on to a new carrier and chalk this up to experience.

UAMP1K Nov 20, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31757836)
In some instances, a candid acceptance of responsibility and apology has resulted in being allowed to maintain a MP account.

In this case, attempting to open a new account after the old one was closed likely shuts the door on that possibility. Probably best to just move on to a new carrier and chalk this up to experience.

Totally agree and accept that, after all its not the end of the world. I plan to try once to write a formal letter laying out facts.

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 31757731)
This forum has many stories identical to yours in it over the years.

You broke the rules. You got caught.

Time to find a new airline. As you've now seen twice, UA won't be taking you back.

I was not at all aware that I cant open new account, actually the United customer service recommended me!

enviroian Nov 20, 2019 8:25 am

Originally Posted by UAMP1K (Post 31757876)
I was not at all aware that I cant open new account, actually the United customer service recommended me!

Your days with United are over I'm afraid.