Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm sorry the OP learned a very hard lesson, but I'm happy to see UA enforce the rules which in the end helps the rest of us.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:43 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by DWFI
You can PM me for more but the chance that you will win anything or "force" UA to change/clarify its policies is infinitesimally small. Unfortunately for you, this is a situation where they hold all the cards.
Agreeing with DWFI.

I deal with these types of claims on a (what to me is a) surprisingly regular basis. This is not a matter of the rules being unclear, it's a matter of your trying to read them in an unclear manner to justify your actions.

I see this all the time in nickel and dime license claims. Here's what I say to the "bottom of the barrel" lawyers who make these claims to me: better go get a new tie, because we'll see you and your [redacted] claim in court. I suspect United's lawyers will tell yours the same thing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2016 at 12:04 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by postingaccount
How's that? read the small print, not a lawyer but didn't see what rules were broken. if you got paid for for your time on how to explain the upgrades work, fare classes, odds of upgrades, so on and you threw in the GPU for free.
Those of us who are lawyers know that what you did was sell your upgrades. Attempting to be clever and calling yourself an upgrade consultant, charging for your time and then "throwing in a GPU for free" is selling your upgrades.

In this case, the substance of the transaction matters a lot more to UA than the form of the transaction (a rather self-serving form you selected). And the substance was a sale/barter, and that's against the rules. You played fast and loose, got caught, and lost. Better luck next time.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
How was United able to track this CL transaction? Was it a sting maybe by United to enforce selling/bartering of upgrades?

Just wondering how they would catch/prove upgrading an actual friend vs a new "friend" on CL?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wrp96
To the OP, just a note in case you decide to switch airlines, AA and DL will handle this exactly the same way as UA, so don't repeat this behavior with those airlines.
On DL, you cannot buy/sell/barter upgrade instruments as they're nontransferable except for one traveling companion traaveling with the elite on the SAME PNR.

AA has a reputation for being aggressive about closing accounts when rules are violated.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
In my expert opinion, you are in denial.
OP stated that his GPUs were going to expire, don't they expire at the Jan? I guess they could expire in Jan 17, maybe OP wanted a head start.

OP, when did you provide your advice?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 4, 2016 at 12:07 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I read most of this thread, but not all so please forgive me if I missed this question and answer.

Judging from OP's story and tenor of their post this happened recently, so I have to ask, who has a July expiry on a GPU . I know previous years GPU's can be extended but have never done it myself. Does anyone know if the time frame here passes the sniff test, or has this story been edited already?

There is no legitimate way buy/ sell/ trade airline instruments, upgrades or points without violating the T&C of a FFP but there are right ways and wrong ways to try. Craigslist is a wrong way. Sorry OP - you're out of luck and will have as much luck using a rocking chair as you would a lawyer to get your account back.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
How was United able to track this CL transaction? Was it a sting maybe by United to enforce selling/bartering of upgrades?

Just wondering how they would catch/prove upgrading an actual friend vs a new "friend" on CL?
I said back on page one of this thread that the OP probably sold the GPU to a UA fraud investigator.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I said back on page one of this thread that the OP probably sold the GPU to a UA fraud investigator.
I must have missed it ^
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Bartered. @:-)

Originally Posted by TerryK
Good post.^ Reminds me of old time when GPU was paper only. There were people selling envelopes on ebay for hundreds of dollars. The sellers promised to throw in paper GPUs for free inside the envelope.
Not old times. It's going strong on eBay still.

Look at how many people are trying to do this in ebay?

--http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.XUnited+Upgrades.TRS0&_nkw=United+Upgrades& _sacat=0

--

Absolutely bartered.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Aug 3, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Chukiechz
I must have missed it ^
Post #4 in this thread.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
I read most of this thread, but not all so please forgive me if I missed this question and answer.

Judging from OP's story and tenor of their post this happened recently, so I have to ask, who has a July expiry on a GPU . I know previous years GPU's can be extended but have never done it myself. Does anyone know if the time frame here passes the sniff test, or has this story been edited already?

There is no legitimate way buy/ sell/ trade airline instruments, upgrades or points without violating the T&C of a FFP but there are right ways and wrong ways to try. Craigslist is a wrong way. Sorry OP - you're out of luck and will have as much luck using a rocking chair as you would a lawyer to get your account back.
Wouldn't the extra ones you get for passing PQM milestones expire 1 year from issue? Some people get more than just the 6 annual ones.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
Wouldn't the extra ones you get for passing PQM milestones expire 1 year from issue? Some people get more than just the 6 annual ones.
You are correct, and I didn't think about this. Under that scenario though OP flew 150K or more before Aug 2015. I am not saying it is impossible, we know lots of people fly that and more, but the skeptic in me says that such an experienced flyer wouldn't be on CL looking to unload expiring GPU's.

I am not saying this isn't OP's profile I am just being skeptical - another shoe always drops around here.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Not old times. It's going strong on eBay still.

Look at how many people are trying to do this in ebay?

--http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.XUnited+Upgrades.TRS0&_nkw=United+Upgrades& _sacat=0

--

Absolutely bartered.
Your link didn't work, but a quick search on Ebay returned a large amount of RPU's and GPU's, all based on selling advice.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Your link didn't work, but a quick search on Ebay returned a large amount of RPU's and GPU's, all based on selling advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.