Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's incredibly suspicious.

Your friend better start seriously re-thinking their posture on cooperating on this if they ever want to see their account unfrozen.
John, I am really not sure why this is suspicious. In any case the guy is not taking it so hard that he should take your advice... The guy is going to try calling once again explaining his position and if UA is unhappy he is ready to give his business to someone else. It wont be so easy for him but not the end of the world. The reason he got so frustrated in the beginning was because he thought that they banned him from flying UA again. Since this is not the case its not such a big deal. Status doesn't matter to much when you're always flying paid J/F.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Could also have been triggered by an over zealous agent who instantly assumed malfeasance when someone who didn't quite know the routine asked the wrong question or wasn't understanding the program and the agent(s) flagged the account. This stuff happens.

While an example from late 1990s, a former co worker of mine got a buddy pass to go visit her flight attendant sister for the weekend. When she got the airport, the gate agent flipped out, ripped up the ticket; spoke in a very harsh loud voice (making a scene) that she was a criminal and if the employee "really was her sister, she was going to be fired."

I wasn't there so no idea what all happened to trigger this (bad day, forgot Meds, co worker asking wrong question or not understanding the process) but there was an actual investigation and the sister was cleared and reportedly the agent was disciplined.

Long story short, if you are sponsoring upgrades, you probably need to go out of your way to brief those receiving them on how they work, what happens if they don't clear...especially now at UA where almost nothing clears...and have some proof of connection to the sponsor (like a business card or something) as you really have no recourse if you aren't with them and an agent thinks something is amiss and flags the account.

Based on the premise here, I'm assuming several agents flagged their suspicions to an ongoing record which then triggered the audit and account closure.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During the UA days, a colleague of mine would randomly upgrade people in uniform at the airport.

I did that twice also TPAC - once I walked up to a bunch of US soldiers at NRT and asked who wanted an upgrade. While everyone was wondering what I was up to, one guy jumped on it. He got it. He said he was going to IAD via ORD then continuing to DXB. So, that was a treat.

Another time out of SFO, I asked the gate agent to pick one for me. The GA told him I did it and he thanked me as he boarded and walked past me. It is a great feeling.

I think I also did this once for some random person on FT.

It is harder now with seats filling up and with them cancelling accounts now....
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
I wouldn't have a problem with UA closing the GS account of a guy who is giving GPUs to another guy who is using them in some unclearly described way to purportedly support Israeli schools, resulting in random people redeeming them under uncertain terms.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
And the other shoe drops. The GS didn't really know the people he was giving upgrades to via a third party.

No wonder UA thought it was hinky. A lot of very long flights getting this guy's upgrades, costing them a lt of money.
It's all seeming more and more suspicious. Still, I'm not if favor of unilateral judgements without a fair hearing.

With United's revenue management being an iron purse though, I have to wonder what is the actual cost? GPU's don't just don't get redeemed on flights where there's even a remote chance those seats will sell at revenue.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportbiz
GPU's don't just don't get redeemed on flights where there's even a remote chance those seats will sell at revenue.
GS GPUs do. They clear into PN.

Upgrades for friends and family are one thing. But the systematic handing out of PN space to people you don't even know is something else.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ILman
...And BTW these people would never pay more than $10 to upgrade to J, and of course not the price people on eBay ask for. He even had several times where the upgrade was confirmed, and in the airport when the flight was overbooked and UA was looking for volunteers they were always the first in the line agreeing to take $200 ETCs and go sit in Y...
Use of GPUs to upgrade on such a route requires purchase of a much more expensive fare than the deep discount fares that are usually available. They won't pay $10 to upgrade to J, but will pay hundreds of dollars more on a more expensive fare to use a GPU? This contradictory story is failing the smell test.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 19, 2015 at 10:36 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
GS GPUs do. They clear into PN.

Upgrades for friends and family are one thing. But the systematic handing out of PN space to people you don't even know is something else.
I wasn't aware the GPU's are coded. I thought the PN inventory was only if the PNR was associated or linked with a GS member?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportbiz
I wasn't aware the GPU's are coded. I thought the PN inventory was only if the PNR was associated or linked with a GS member?
The GPU is coded. A GS GPU is way more valuable than a 1K GPU.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Use of GPUs to upgrade on such a route requires purchase of a much more expensive fare than the deep discount fares that are usually available. They won't pay $10 to upgrade to J, but will pay hundreds of dollars more on a more expensive fare to use a GPU? This contradictory story is failing the smell test.
Really? It's so hard to understand? Of course when they were able to find K class they would not pay up to W class, but sometimes you gotta book W class just because that is what is available. And again, all I said was that the actual pax would much rather pocket some extra money than flying J though the org were the once who arranged the upgrades all the times because they wanted their people arriving well rested etc which makes sense. In some cases I know they even paid up from K to W when the guy had to go to appointments right upon landing on red eye flights. I will keep this thread on topic and update it hopefully soon with positive updates.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2015 at 7:12 am Reason: Discussion the topic, not the posters
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
It sounds like the upgrades were being given out to people through an intermediary without the account holder knowing who they were. That sounds to me like a recipe for trouble. Perhaps he trusted the wrong person. People do shady things for cash all the time.
+1 When i give away my GPU's or get someone a free ticket, I ALWAYS tell them it is against the rules to sell these things so if they have a problem, NEVER EVER lie and complain saying they paid "a lot" of money for this flight or upgrade. Im so paranoid I won't even let friends pay the taxes when i get them a free ticket. Selling these things or even giving UA a reason to think you have sold them is a recipe for disaster.....DONT DO IT!!!!!!

Finally - I NEVER would give anything to someone I don't know. Giving to a charity is nice but I can't justify giving my miles or upgrades to someone I don't know (especially if it goes thru a middle man) The exception to this is giving to charities that UA works with (there are plenty of good ones and Ive given miles that way.....
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:16 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
How is it possible for a recipient of your GPU to give it away to another unknown party? Don't you apply it yourself to his/her itinerary, and that's the end of the possibilities?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:01 am

The GPU is coded. A GS GPU is way more valuable than a 1K GPU.
That's interesting, thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by TA
How is it possible for a recipient of your GPU to give it away to another unknown party? Don't you apply it yourself to his/her itinerary, and that's the end of the possibilities?
That is what I was wondering.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by TA
If a third party has been given your account login information and knows the passengers' PNRs and last names, they can simply log in to the account, bring up the reservation, and apply the upgrade(s).

If this were me, I would have proactively called UA and cleared this activity with them, emphasizing that it was for a good cause and there was no $$$$ or other consideration changing hands. If they said no, that would have been that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.