Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by CoMooter
In short, yesterday was another clue that UA is well aware that many long term customers are leaving due to all of their fabulous 'enhancements'. So aware, that they are trying to make sure that their valued MP 'partner' does not help aid in the exodus.
I think you are right about Chase not wanting/allowed to step on UA's toes. But if you think there's a net outflow of United-Chase credit cards, I think you're way wrong.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Right, because we know so much about how much the ticket cost, whether he was required to fly UA by his work, and other variables. We sure are quick to blame the person here aren't we? I sympathize with anyone who has to fly that long a flight on an RJ choice or not.
If the decision was based on ticket cost, that is a choice. In that case, he would be paying less and getting less (an RJ). I can choose a Kia or a Mercedes, but I have to accept that the Mercedes will cost more than the Kia. If my work issues me a Kia, I can accept it, try to change the company rules, or go work elsewhere. It is a choice.

But this is all hypothetical. The poster never said he was flying UA because his employer required him to.

I certainly avoid RJs when I can, but I do so by making other [better] choices.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Agreed. If he has to deal with a corporate travel dept, many options may not be available. And on top of that, flying UA to LAX and then transit to QF incurs a massive misconnect risk...
You are ignoring that he can fly to DFW on AA and connect there to QF non-stop to SYD.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Which is why I do not fly the direct UA flight on this route.

Even if 'forced' to book on UA, there are plenty of alternatives routings.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that RJ's on routes like this are not desirable.
I fully agree that RJs are less than desirable, but we seem to see more and more of them on UA routes these days.

I think you're missing the point still. OP is not flying just to SFO, he's going onward to Australia. Yes, he could fly AUS-IAH-SFO-SYD or AUS-DEN-SFO-SYD to avoid a RJ on the long flight but when you're adding even more hours to an international trip it becomes frustrating. We also don't know OP's travel policy, maybe it's "cheapest routing" or something like that. So for you or I or anyone to say "you weren't forced" without the facts is a waste of time and possibly erroneous.
Since I don't think anyone held a gun to his head to force him to fly United on the routing he is flying, it is safe to say he wasn't "forced." If he is truly bothered by the RJ, he can fly another carrier or take a different routing. Flying the RJ is a choice, and the poster has said nothing to indicate otherwise.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
. But unless there are no choices, my travel dollars are headed almost exclusively AA/DL or their alliance partners from now on. I already have booked over $5K+ in tix in the last two weeks on the other two carriers, and I plan to keep it that way until further notice.

It feels great - and liberating - to be finally winding down business with this airline!
Welcome to freedom.

I currently have 5 business class tickets booked, 3 domestic and 2 international at about $7.5k.

AA, US, DL, QR, CX. None on UA. 2 years ago they would have all been UA or UA partner/codeshare.

Being airline agnostic ROCKS! It's a change that 'I think you are going to like.' ^
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:53 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Being airline agnostic ROCKS!
But you're not airline agnostic; you're simply embittered with UA.

RNE, calling 'em as I sees 'em.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I was first advised by the Chase rep (she was very nice) that they could not change the account (which I have done in the past with other cards including other UA accounts) into another Chase product. After my reply of "huh?"...she then said that she had to be "very, very careful in her language now", and not only could not change the account into another Chase product, she also could offer no advice nor recommendations on what to do with the account. She stated that since it was a 'partner card' it would be a conflict of interest for her to advice any course of action in what to do with the account.
Wow, that's a really amazing interaction - thanks for sharing. FWIW, when I called in to cancel my Chase MP card just after the merger, the rep badgered me by going on and on about all the products that they could switch me to - quite annoying in fact, as I just wanted them to cancel it. Interesting the complete 180 they've done on this.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting looking at my prior comments dating back 2 years and how things change in light of the continued deterioration of UA.

While I don't have any present plans to ditch Mileage Plus (the programs benefits - though degraded - are still better than the alternatives) I do plan explore *A alternatives for TPAC flights assuming the cost differential is not excessive. I will also be ditching UA for TATL flights once LH has completed overhaul of its C seats (est. 12/2014) and maybe explore other options like TK from LAX. Since I can't reach the GS level, I see no reason to fly UA metal beyond the $10k annual spend required for 1K.

At some point I will have to give LH a look, if my travel ramps up enough to reach SEN or HON. But I don't see any other *A programs that are better.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:28 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
I think you're missing the point still. OP is not flying just to SFO, he's going onward to Australia. Yes, he could fly AUS-IAH-SFO-SYD or AUS-DEN-SFO-SYD to avoid a RJ on the long flight but when you're adding even more hours to an international trip it becomes frustrating. We also don't know OP's travel policy, maybe it's "cheapest routing" or something like that. So for you or I or anyone to say "you weren't forced" without the facts is a waste of time and possibly erroneous.
Yep, I'm "forced" from a GPU perspective. This route gets me to SYD in J for $2,100. Any other way would be waitlisted or much more expensive.

Still, AUS-SFO in an RJ is ridiculous, even in F since F on an RJ only means a few free drinks and some Rondele cheese spread for your breakfast, lunch or dinner during your up to 4 hour flight.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:31 am

Here's an outlined reason to leave United

http://upgrd.com/aerospace/saying-go...d-in-2014.html
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by RNE
But you're not airline agnostic; you're simply embittered with UA.

RNE, calling 'em as I sees 'em.
I still fly UA when they are the cheapest/best option in business. In fact just this morning I bought IAD-SAL in P in UA. Taca and AA were in the same price range, but the Taca flight leaves at like 4am and AA was through MIA both ways while UA was nonstop down. Plus its on UA737s with directtv.

So it happened to work best for me.

Just like QR, CX, AA, US and DL work better on my other trips (that, in the past, I would have bent over backward to do on as much UA metal as possible).

I don't hold a grudge. To the contrary, the Houston boys freed me! By eliminating the value in being a 1k, mm or 2mm, they caused me to make far more rational travel purchase decisions. @:-)^
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
Yep, I'm "forced" from a GPU perspective. This route gets me to SYD in J for $2,100. Any other way would be waitlisted or much more expensive.

Still, AUS-SFO in an RJ is ridiculous, even in F since F on an RJ only means a few free drinks and some Rondele cheese spread for your breakfast, lunch or dinner during your up to 4 hour flight.
My apologies if I came across too harsh for your use of the word 'force'.

Agree with you regarding the RJ on this route, which 'forces' me to choose different routings or airlines.

I don't hold a grudge. To the contrary, the Houston boys freed me! By eliminating the value in being a 1k, mm or 2mm, they caused me to make far more rational travel purchase decisions. @:-)^
Thank you Jeff Smisek!

Originally Posted by IrishAyes
Here's an outlined reason to leave United

http://upgrd.com/aerospace/saying-go...d-in-2014.html
Long winded (3,400 words to say this?) and melodramatic.

A perfect flyertalker, what is his handle?

I wish he had just followed the format in the wiki!

He did not even tell us what airline he is moving to.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
I still fly UA when they are the cheapest/best option in business. In fact just this morning I bought IAD-SAL in P in UA. Taca and AA were in the same price range, but the Taca flight leaves at like 4am and AA was through MIA both ways while UA was nonstop down. Plus its on UA737s with directtv.

So it happened to work best for me.

Just like QR, CX, AA, US and DL work better on my other trips (that, in the past, I would have bent over backward to do on as much UA metal as possible).

+1 Exactly how I am now choosing flights. And I'm even a LT 1K but it still doesn't drive me to buy UA unless it's simply the best choice.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Long winded (3,400 words to say this?) and melodramatic.

A perfect flyertalker, what is his handle?

I wish he had just followed the format in the wiki!

Read a few of his posts, he's very analytical, probably one of the smartest bloggers out there.

I figured you'd appreciate it...his rationale was very factual, and despite horrific treatment from UA, he tried to separate that out from the decision.

Seems like AA if he wants the best FFP but DL if he wants the network.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

By eliminating the value in being a 1k, mm or 2mm, they caused me to make far more rational travel purchase decisions. @:-)^
I agree completely. I'm a 2MM flyer. The great benefit is that I can book and change award tickets with no fee. My husband has the same status as me. I don't need to fly paid UA.

Now and again on a paid ticket, I'll buy UA, but often it is AA. And then there are all the options available to me now that AS has made a mini hub in SAN. I'm unwilling to play the upgrade game with all its uncertainties. I search out good C fares, confirm with an upgrade at time of purchase, or redeem an award ticket. It's been freeing to not start Jan 1 staring at a goose egg, booking 40K of international travel in 1st quarter to get the year rolling, and sweating out upgrades.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
We all know the answer...AA or AS or a combo. The bloggers are truly getting old. Once PQD was introduced, it effectively killed blogger interest in flying DL and UA since they now cannot get to top status any longer.

That said, AA will likely introduce PQD at some point, too, but until then, the bloggers will all run to AA and AS.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That or AS.

Last edited by AAExPlat; Jan 16, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Read a few of his posts, he's very analytical, probably one of the smartest bloggers out there.

I figured you'd appreciate it...his rationale was very factual, and despite horrific treatment from UA, he tried to separate that out from the decision.

Is that a hint of sarcasm I detect?

Did you make it through all 3,400 words without nodding off? That is the first and last time I am reading that blog.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jan 16, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reason: remove the drama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.