Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Got a brick today at ORD. I was on the ORD-DCA 1pm flight, and it was overbooked. Talked to the GA, was told I'd get $400 in vouchers and First Class on the 3pm flight to DCA. Minutes before departure, I was told I wasn't needed. Bummed, but not the end of the world.

Doesn't $400 seem a bit high only for two hours? Both flights were Skywest operated.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Doesn't $400 seem a bit high only for two hours? Both flights were Skywest operated.
Not really. $400 was the PMUA standard, and fares are much higher now.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Also keep in mind that they're trying to avoid having to IDB. Fares on those regional routes can be sky-high relative to, say, a t-con, with commensurately high IDB compensation (2x or 4x the one-way fare, capped at $650 or $1300, depending on whether delay is more than two hours).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by channa
Not really. $400 was the PMUA standard, and fares are much higher now.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Also keep in mind that they're trying to avoid having to IDB. Fares on those regional routes can be sky-high relative to, say, a t-con, with commensurately high IDB compensation (2x or 4x the one-way fare, capped at $650 or $1300, depending on whether delay is more than two hours).
Ah, okay, I stand corrected. I just thought that, because the general offerings of VDB's I've seen over the years, the standard was $150-200 for a minor delay of <2h. Plus, the kiosk initially offered $150. If I had gotten the VDB, I'd have gotten $400 for about 1.5 hours of waiting! Not bad at all, and I'd have loved that!

It was odd, though, how the VDB was forfeited by the GA. I really thought it'd be a slam dunk, especially with tons of people on the standby list, and the plane was jammed full. Is that normal?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:53 pm

BOS-EWR-DCA 3/16. Got the overbooking warning at check-in kiosk, agreed to the offer of $150 if need be. Upped to $400 at the gate in Newark, rushed onto an earlier flight to IAD across the terminal. Put in exit row aisle seat and arrived in DC 20 minutes earlier than planned. Only problem was transportation from Dulles to Downtown DC, should've negotiated better for that at the gate.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Ah, okay, I stand corrected. I just thought that, because the general offerings of VDB's I've seen over the years, the standard was $150-200 for a minor delay of <2h. Plus, the kiosk initially offered $150. If I had gotten the VDB, I'd have gotten $400 for about 1.5 hours of waiting! Not bad at all, and I'd have loved that!
You are doing this in the completely wrong way.

1. Unless you are booked in F, you are not entitled rebooking to F. Rebooking to F is a simply courtesy. Remember, F may not be even available.

2. The kiosk always says $150 IME.

3. Picking VDB can be tricky. It depends on your routing, status, etc.

4. You don't ask, but counter the offer.

It was odd, though, how the VDB was forfeited by the GA. I really thought it'd be a slam dunk, especially with tons of people on the standby list, and the plane was jammed full. Is that normal?
Standby list has nothing to do with VDB/IDB except that if anyone on the standby list has been cleared, it means no chance for VDB/IDB.

VDB/IDB only occurs when pax are CONFIRMED for the flight but was not able to accommodate due to overbooking.

Somehow even UA still has a glitch asking standby pax to VDB.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Few days before christmas I was flying SFO-IAH-LHR-FRA with the IAH-LHR leg upgraded to C with a GPU.

SFO-IAH was oversold by a lot (they ended up taking at least 6 volunteers, probably more, and were still looking). Only offering $200, but they offered to put me on the direct SFO-FRA in business. Of course, they booked it directly into C (well, D), so I had no problems upgrading to F

A few hours sitting in the SFO IFL, a double-upgrade to Global First class, arriving several hours earlier than planned, and a $200 voucher. Probably my best VDB to date
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:48 pm

Last week (12/21) at LAX, the GA next to mine was offering $1000 for VDB due to weight restriction on a flight to Vail via DEN. Nice chunk of change for total flight time of about 3 hours.

Not sure if anyone took it because she kept announcing up until boarding.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *Gold, AS, DL, AA
Sorry if this has been asked: Does VDB compensation count towards PQD when redeemed? Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dizziex8
Sorry if this has been asked: Does VDB compensation count towards PQD when redeemed? Thanks!
TCVA type vouchers, which are generally dispensed for VDB, do indeed count toward PQD. so if you buy a $600 ticket with $200 voucher and $400 cash, you will still get the $600 PQD.

this is different from 1016 vouchers which are generally dispersed through customer service emails, or united.com/appreciation, which do NOT count toward PQD. so in the case above you would only get $400 PQD on an otherwise $600 ticket if applying a 1016 type voucher.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA, AS
12/28/14 - SFO - LAS first flight out at 6:30 AM

Must have been oversold by 2. GA came onboard after all assigned seats were boarded and announced that she needed 2 passengers to volunteer and offered each volunteer a $600 travel credit to take a later flight. A guy at the front of Y jumped up immediately and took it for himself and a friend in the back whom he obviously hadn't consulted with yet but he went back and got him so I guess his friend was amenable to the offer. Loads were high all day on that route so I hope they didn't have to wait too long for a flight with space.

I thought $600 was a bit high for that short a flight but I guess they really wanted to avoid an IDB.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Time to retire the 2014 thread and continue the discussion in the 2015 thread here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-2015-a.html

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.