Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I originally planned to take HNL to LAX and then to IAH to return from vacation. At checking inbox of HNL, there were announcement showed if I am interested in taking other flights because of overbooking by 300$ voucher. After having security, I went to the gate and told I am able to be a volunteer if I can take a direct flight from HNL to IAH which departs 3 hours later and arrive at IAH 3 hours later. She understood and changed my non refundable ticket to a later flight but denied to issue 300$ voucher because there's no overbooking and because I can take a direct flight.
Now I am asking UA mileage plus to reconsider about it, but am I eligible to request compensation? (though feel I should strongly negotiated at the gate)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shane0429
Hi, I originally planned to take HNL to LAX and then to IAH to return from vacation. At checking inbox of HNL, there were announcement showed if I am interested in taking other flights because of overbooking by 300$ voucher. After having security, I went to the gate and told I am able to be a volunteer if I can take a direct flight from HNL to IAH which departs 3 hours later and arrive at IAH 3 hours later. She understood and changed my non refundable ticket to a later flight but denied to issue 300$ voucher because there's no overbooking and because I can take a direct flight.
Now I am asking UA mileage plus to reconsider about it, but am I eligible to request compensation? (though feel I should strongly negotiated at the gate)
Did you stay you were willing to take the direct flight? or did you state the direct flight plus the $300?? Just because you heard the $300 announcement does not mean that was part of the offer.

However, i do agree it was a bit sneaky. But it is really important you clearly agree to the terms and make no assumptions. Never agree all the terms are clear.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If they were looking for volunteers and then you threw in the non stop into the mix I think it was incumbent upon you to "call their bluff" and say you'd keep the original flights if they then said no $300 for you but a free flight change.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I was offered $400 to give up a Y seat on the ORD-HKG non-stop to take a connection the next day through SFO. I declined.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shane0429
You should not have left the counter if the deal isn't what you wanted or agreed to. You don't have a lot of leverage now.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

I will post after negotiating with UA. Thank you for your comments.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Wow...I agree...I'm trying to think of a reason I wouldn't be able to take a $1000 VDB....maybe my own wedding? Even then, I'm not sure....
Right before Christmas 2012, I was waiting to board an Air Canada SFO-YYZ, and they said they were oversold by 1, and would pay $1300 cash.

I considered it, but I had other travel arrangements before they'd would have been able to get me there (i.e. family driving me ).

In hindsight, I could have arranged my own transportation for much less than the offered amount.

My new policy is to accept anything even approaching that amount. Alas, I haven't had the chance (no VDBs required), with 89 segments in 2013!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
1/11/14

Flying SFO-LAX-BOS-IAD-SFO courtesy of United's $5.00 special and LAX-BOS was oversold*. Offered $300 to take the n/s LAX-IAD departing 35 minutes later and in F. Needless to say, I'll take the $300 t/c over the loss of 822 PQM's & 1,600 RDM's any day**

*Upgrade wasn't gonna clear LAX-BOS and was presented with the "one of your flights may be oversold" screen during OLCI

**plus on the $5.00 special fare, there's no PQD's anyway
(least I don't think so)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by goalie
1/11/14

Flying SFO-LAX-BOS-IAD-SFO courtesy of United's $5.00 special and LAX-BOS was oversold*. Offered $300 to take the n/s LAX-IAD departing 35 minutes later and in F. Needless to say, I'll take the $300 t/c over the loss of 822 PQM's & 1,600 RDM's any day**

*Upgrade wasn't gonna clear LAX-BOS and was presented with the "one of your flights may be oversold" screen during OLCI

(least I don't think so)
Looks like you had a much better day than I.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1/11/14

(least I don't think so)
So you mean UA paid you $295 to fly transcon in F? Sweet.

No need to lose any EQMs - just ask for original routing credit.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
Looks like you had a much better day than I.
I wondered what happened to you as I figured you would have gotten the upgrade BOS-IAD as you were #1 on the list when they took me off that flight

Originally Posted by Kacee
So you mean UA paid you $295 to fly transcon in F? Sweet.

No need to lose any EQMs - just ask for original routing credit.
I will ask but I want to see how it posts as I was booked in "F" on my new flight but I don't know if it's "the good F" or "just F" to put me in First where the underlying booking code governs the posting (but if it posts as "the good F", I'll be a happy camper )

Edited to add and bolding mine: It's $290 as I had a double conx

Last edited by goalie; Jan 12, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I will ask but I want to see how it posts as I was booked in "F" on my new flight but I don't know if it's "the good F" or "just F" to put me in First where the underlying booking code governs the posting (but if it posts as "the good F", I'll be a happy camper )
Sadly, I think you and I both know how this will credit. Crystal ball says tomorrow when it hits your account, ZK (or whatever fare originally booked) posts. Would love to be wrong though. Just basing it off of my experiences dating back to Jan 2013 when I first noted this lovely 'change.'

On another note - UA1127 SFO-EWR (10:39pm departure) was severely oversold yesterday. High tailed it to gate 84 upon arriving from SAN, and the supervisor at the gate was schmoozing pax to hop on the nonstop to JFK, selling it as closer to Manhattan, etc. Apparently they got some suckers that way, because by the time I made it up to the podium, I asked the lady working if they were oversold, to which she replied affirmatively. Despite telling her my final was EWR, no bags, and was super flexible, Supervisor interjected that he had enough volunteers, and even went as far as to tell a standby pax next to me smugly, that things were looking good for him.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Sadly, I think you and I both know how this will credit. Crystal ball says tomorrow when it hits your account, ZK (or whatever fare originally booked) posts. Would love to be wrong though. Just basing it off of my experiences dating back to Jan 2013 when I first noted this lovely 'change.'

On another note - UA1127 SFO-EWR (10:39pm departure) was severely oversold yesterday. High tailed it to gate 84 upon arriving from SAN, and the supervisor at the gate was schmoozing pax to hop on the nonstop to JFK, selling it as closer to Manhattan, etc. Apparently they got some suckers that way, because by the time I made it up to the podium, I asked the lady working if they were oversold, to which she replied affirmatively. Despite telling her my final was EWR, no bags, and was super flexible, Supervisor interjected that he had enough volunteers, and even went as far as to tell a standby pax next to me smugly, that things were looking good for him.
EWR and JFK = toss up which is closer

Depending on where you final destination is. I hope those people that went to JFK got something
Old Jan 12, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I wondered what happened to you as I figured you would have gotten the upgrade BOS-IAD as you were #1 on the list when they took me off that flight

Edited to add and bolding mine: It's $290 as I had a double conx
Originally Posted by meFIRST
EWR and JFK = toss up which is closer

Depending on where you final destination is. I hope those people that went to JFK got something
They didn't. Had I been at the gate area I probably would've gone to JFK, too, as I live equidistant from JFK and LGA, and EWR is a trek, but even still, not without compensation.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
....No need to lose any EQMs - just ask for original routing credit.
No need to-see below

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Sadly, I think you and I both know how this will credit. Crystal ball says tomorrow when it hits your account, ZK (or whatever fare originally booked) posts. Would love to be wrong though. Just basing it off of my experiences dating back to Jan 2013 when I first noted this lovely 'change.'...
Doing a very very surprised happy dance as it posted as F with all the corresponding PQM & RDM bonuses to make it a net gain over ORC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.