Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
$600 and FC upgrade for a 3 hour delay ORD-MSP last week. A smile and knowledge of alternatives goes a long way. ^
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA1656 oversold by 4 this morning. I bumped and took $300 and they switched my revenue seat into the F seat that I reserved with miles (on the flight 55 min later). Gotta love having a backup plan... will make my original connection at IAH as well. not a bad morning.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jjmoore
UA1656 oversold by 4 this morning. I bumped and took $300 and they switched my revenue seat into the F seat that I reserved with miles (on the flight 55 min later). Gotta love having a backup plan... will make my original connection at IAH as well. not a bad morning.

I would have some concern about this approach. Since you are technically holding duplicate space, UA may take issue with it.

It's one thing if the counter or GA did it (e.g., saw it was over and protected you), but for you to do it on a separate PNR may be asking for trouble.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by channa
I would have some concern about this approach. Since you are technically holding duplicate space, UA may take issue with it.

It's one thing if the counter or GA did it (e.g., saw it was over and protected you), but for you to do it on a separate PNR may be asking for trouble.
Interesting.... have been doing this all year and haven't had any concerns communicated. Without this, there would have been no available flights until the afternoon, which would have meant no VDB for me, and an additional person would have been IDB'ed. The GA was pretty happy that I had done that. I am not sure how many IDB's there were this morning, but there was one for sure being dealt with right next to me at the same time I was receiving my new boarding pass.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting.... have been doing this all year and haven't had any concerns communicated.
My fear would be by the time anything is communicated, it's already too late.

I'm glad it's worked out for you, but I think it's a risk worth considering for those who may not be comfortable with it.

They can always force you on a full flight or rebook on OAL. I've taken a number of VDBs this year and have always found some sort of accommodation, whether on UA or OAL.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
SJU-EWR oversold by 3 yesterday. Offered a pittance $200 bump voucher and declined.

There is only one direct flight a day at this time of year, and all of the connecting flights through IAH/ORD leave prior to this departure.....so they'd have to do a LOT better than $200 to get me to bite.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TommyC80
SJU-EWR oversold by 3 yesterday. Offered a pittance $200 bump voucher and declined.

There is only one direct flight a day at this time of year, and all of the connecting flights through IAH/ORD leave prior to this departure.....so they'd have to do a LOT better than $200 to get me to bite.

There are later flights on DL to JFK and ATL, no?

And IIRC there's a late AA to MIA.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AC 50K
EWR-SEA oversold Monday, offered $200 travel voucher at check-in if they needed volunteers, i volunteered. At gate was offered $500 each ($1000 for two of us in total) to take a later flight that day via SFO or a hotel overnight and take a direct flight the next day.

Accepted the flight via SFO the same day with part of trip upgraded into First. Arrived 6 hours later than originally planned in Seattle, with our baggage already waiting for us.

No complaints!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Last Sunday, IND-ORD.

All flights seemed oversold. Asked for three VDBs on my flight, offering $300 and going about 5 hours later. They later upped the offer to $400. They took only one - me - and she gave me the $400 and a $7 meal voucher.

Agent put me on the standby list for a flight an hour and one-half later. They were asking for vols there too. Ended up clearing that flight and they gave me a seat in F.

Not too bad.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Smile Well Done and Welcome

Originally Posted by MarkA380
EWR-SEA oversold Monday, offered $200 travel voucher at check-in if they needed volunteers, i volunteered. At gate was offered $500 each ($1000 for two of us in total) to take a later flight that day via SFO or a hotel overnight and take a direct flight the next day.

Accepted the flight via SFO the same day with part of trip upgraded into First. Arrived 6 hours later than originally planned in Seattle, with our baggage already waiting for us.
Great VDB score!

Welcome to FT
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
On Monday I was at the SFO gate, awaiting UA5634 SFO-RNO (50 seat RJ). They asked for 2 volunteers to take a later flight and offered $150 then $200. But the only later flight to RNO is 6 hours later and the agent started talking about a hotel voucher, which would mean the next morning flight. I don't know if there were any takers, because I then boarded, but I was surprised by this low offer.

A few years ago I would accept offers and collect perhaps a thousand dollars a year in travel vouchers. In recent years, zero.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
On Monday I was at the SFO gate, awaiting UA5634 SFO-RNO (50 seat RJ). They asked for 2 volunteers to take a later flight and offered $150 then $200. But the only later flight to RNO is 6 hours later and the agent started talking about a hotel voucher, which would mean the next morning flight. I don't know if there were any takers, because I then boarded, but I was surprised by this low offer.

A few years ago I would accept offers and collect perhaps a thousand dollars a year in travel vouchers. In recent years, zero.
Since UA adopted CO's system for VDB compensation, things have become quite stingy. Pre-merger UA gave $400 for VDB.... regardless of the flight length, length of delay.... it was usually a great deal, unless there was a long delay / overnight. Now... I am lucky to see $400... it's usually been $200-$300 in most cases. In some rare cases (I am assuming if an IDB is going to be very costly to the airline), I have seen the offers go up to $400-$600 for some basic domestic routes).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Since UA adopted CO's system for VDB compensation, things have become quite stingy. Pre-merger UA gave $400 for VDB.... regardless of the flight length, length of delay.... it was usually a great deal, unless there was a long delay / overnight. Now... I am lucky to see $400... it's usually been $200-$300 in most cases. In some rare cases (I am assuming if an IDB is going to be very costly to the airline), I have seen the offers go up to $400-$600 for some basic domestic routes).
That was only the most recent pre-merger UA policy. Prior to that were policies about $200/$400/$600 depending on length of delay or domestic free travel certificates that didn't earn miles and could sometimes require an argument with a GA (or mailing them in to convert later) to get the travel credits instead.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
DEN to IAH on a Friday morning, 6AM flight. Upgraded to first from inside the plane, then volunteered for a 6;50AM flight and $300 voucher.

Upon deplaning, found out there were no seats left. GA asked me about an 8AM flight, which I politely declined.

Ended up getting a FC seat on the 6:50AM flight. $300 for 50 minutes, and IAH was my final destination. Not bad!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:08 pm

Sunday Morning - UA4087 EWR-IND (10:26 AM)

Overbooked by 2 - Original offer was $400 with no good options to get there before 4:30 PM departure

Ended up with $500 voucher, cab fare to JFK, and a seat in F on 2:55 PM direct on Delta.

Agent was great. I was the only VDB and I heard them send the IDB to the customer service desk for a check. I asked how much he got but they wouldn't tell me.

I was shocked how easy (and generous) it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.