Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Faulty pre-flight safety announcments on 737-800

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star

On a flight from SFO to LAX this week (737-800) I was in First with my BOSE QC-15 headphones plugged into the direct TV, watching something. I noticesD the FAs taking the "positions" associated with doing the pre-flight safety announcements. I pulled one earphone off my ear and realized that the speakers were broadcasting the United advertisement followed by the safety video...except there was no video and the audio did not take over the direct TV feed. So we really got no safety training.
When we got to LA I asked a guy who had sat in economy plus if they had gotten the safety video audio in coach. He said no, that everyone was just kind of smiling and enjoying it.
So I guess they the AV file "played" but did not jump over into the seat mounted entertainment system, and instead only played audio on the speakers. Weird. I was surprised that no FA noticed, nor bothered to look at a video screen on someone seat back. I guess they are used to everyone tuning it all out anyways.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is a violation of some FAA rule.

A few years ago, back in the tape days, I was on an A319 which played the A320 video. I pointed it out to the purser (I was in row 1). He first did not believe me. Once he confirmed it, he stopped the tape right away and did it manually. He said that that would be a huge FAA violation and taped a huge piece of paper on the equipment door with the warning for the next crew. He was very appreciative.

3 weeks ago, I was on a 739 that had 2 video screens inop that I could see (I was in row 11 or 15 I think and saw 2 screens did not play). I told the FA after takeoff and she seemed somewhat took mental notes (i.e. instead of just ignoring it).

I am sure someone here can cite the FAR on this subject

Last edited by username; Jan 10, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
That's a big-time FAA no-no*. I've had that happen on several flights and notified one of the F/A's each and every time where I was also thanked each and every time. Also, I wonder if the PMUA "set-up" (for lack of proper term) of walking the aisles would catch something like this vs "all call" where the F/A's just stand still at their designated positions?

*I would say Bozo no-no but FLIBS is clown enough for me
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
This is an enormous safety issue. Just think of the number of people on this flight that couldn't figure out how to buckle their seatbelts because there were no visual instructions.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:28 am

Really?

It often seems that I am the only person paying attention to the safety info even though I have flown millions of miles. Now everyone is on their personal devices and not paying attention to anything.

Unless the safety video starts out saying: sucker you could die if you don't pay attention, and shows dead bodies, those safety videos are a waste of time.

I have the exit strategy down pat in my mind, but I often seem to be the only one following the video.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by BF263533:22123602
It often seems that I am the only person paying attention to the safety info even though I have flown millions of miles. Now everyone is on their personal devices and not paying attention to anything.

Unless the safety video starts out saying: sucker you could die if you don't pay attention, and shows dead bodies, those safety videos are a waste of time.

I have the exit strategy down pat in my mind, but I often seem to be the only one following the video.
I do too. And I still take the safety cards out even though I probably have them memorized. When I fly with my family my son will sit next to the window & I'm identifying each airplane (737, 320, etc.) I recall one pax looking at me askance after teaching my son the many different planes & pointing out the differences
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
I do too. And I still take the safety cards out even though I probably have them memorized. When I fly with my family my son will sit next to the window & I'm identifying each airplane (737, 320, etc.) I recall one pax looking at me askance after teaching my son the many different planes & pointing out the differences
Thanks for your rare diligence. Especially if I am in the emergency exit. There I have the lives of others in my hands. Yet 99.9% of the time I am the only person re-reviewing the safety card that I have read hundreds of times.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by BF263533

Backwhen I flew WN all the time the FAs were famous for humourous versions of the flight safety routine. One common joke/ parody went like this when hitting the part about how to find and use the inflatable life jacket:
"in very unlikely event we have to make an emergency landing over water between Kansas City and Chicago [with emphasis on the city names].... you will find your ....."

Then Sullenberger landed his A320 on the Hudson and suddenly the FA quit that one. And everyone paid a bit more attnetion for a little while.

I knew it was a vioaltion and considered telling them but I figured it was worthless anyways because no one pays attention and I really did not want to delay us (we were taxing pretty quickly to make up for some delays at the gate. But i guess I should have said something.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
Backwhen I flew WN all the time the FAs were famous for humourous versions of the flight safety routine. One common joke/ parody went like this when hitting the part about how to find and use the inflatable life jacket:
"in very unlikely event we have to make an emergency landing over water between Kansas City and Chicago [with emphasis on the city names].... you will find your ....."

I knew it was a vioaltion and considered telling them but I figured it was worthless anyways because no one pays attention and I really did not want to delay us (we were taxing pretty quickly to make up for some delays at the gate. But i guess I should have said something.
Why would it be a violation, for not reading exactly as scripted or because of the humour? The NZ videos are routinely funny and are shown when departing the US.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
So if the audio played over the speakers, I guess people heard the safety announcement. They just didnt see the part about how to put on your seat belt or put on a life vest
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex_b
Why would it be a violation, for not reading exactly as scripted or because of the humour? The NZ videos are routinely funny and are shown when departing the US.
Sorry I was the OP on this and was referring to the incident at start of this thread.

Originally Posted by eng3
So if the audio played over the speakers, I guess people heard the safety announcement. They just didnt see the part about how to put on your seat belt or put on a life vest
Well, some people heard it, but I really did not though I pulled one ear phone off. It kind of competed with some news show I was watching and listening to.

Now that personal devices can play music, etc. and since, on that plane, the Direct TV was available I bet half the plane could have had headphones on and was were tuned into something else. Passengers are no longer a captive (nor a captured) audiance. But the whole new policy of allowing personal devices to play during taxi and take off has just created a new group of ways for people to get distracted and not get the safety the briefing.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 10, 2014 at 10:00 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by username
I think this is a violation of some FAA rule.

I am sure someone here can cite the FAR on this subject
Only an oral briefing is required per 14 CFR 121.571 (a), however (c) says you have to document the procedure in your manual and there's probably some issue with not following the documented procedure if it includes a demo (video or live).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:41 am

DirectTV shuts off for the safety video, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I've found that most crews are attentive to the volume, particularly because it can be too loud or too soft during taxi.

Although it's true that I know how to button and unbuckle a seatbelt, I watch the demo every time. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but I always hope that it encourages others to pay attention.

Although I probably know much of it word-for-word in English, Spanish, German, and Hebrew.

There are always little reminders: don't use the aft doors when ditching on some planes versus don't use the overwing exits on others. I try to remember where additional rafts are located, or that some aircraft have dual slides while others have single slides.

I did once point out to a Delta 777 flight attendant that the video was not playing. She didn't care, and she had some sort of dismissive response.

I actually prefer having flight attendants stand in the aisles. Although they probably feel awkward, there is an implicit message that one should be paying attention.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I do recall that the last time I was on a plane with DirecTV, whenever an announcement was made, the screen would pause, but I wouldn't hear it over the audio, just the speakers. I'd try to pull out my ear phones but I'd miss most or all of the announcement. Not sure if this is common or just a bug.

Originally Posted by Mats
I actually prefer having flight attendants stand in the aisles. Although they probably feel awkward, there is an implicit message that one should be paying attention.
I figured that they were there incase someone had a question, although they usually walk off before the video is over.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I've had safety presentation failures happen a couple of times, and when I notified the FAs, they just shrugged. When I reported the incidents directly to United after landing, they seemed to take it much more seriously, including callbacks for details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.