Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 "Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes (and What to Do After One)"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 "Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes (and What to Do After One)"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
IME, if what you want to do is logical, agents will always do it for you following a schedule change. And that's how it should be, I think.

Basically every upcoming I have had a schedule change this weekend, but they all got highlighted. Of course, not sure if there have been others that I haven't noticed.

Emails would be nice.
Except what I wanted wasn't exactly logical (change 4.5 hr layover to 8.5 after flight was only affected by 45 min), and I believe she was under no obligation to process my request.

None of my changes were highlighted; I only found out because I went to change my seats on the UA site.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Do they no longer highlight in Red for small changes?
I can't recall the last time I saw a red highlight on the main reservation page, even for significant changes. I always have to open up every single reservation to see if there are any changes.

Originally Posted by gtolj2
Except what I wanted wasn't exactly logical (change 4.5 hr layover to 8.5 after flight was only affected by 45 min), and I believe she was under no obligation to process my request.
Sometimes you get an accommodating agent. You won (this time).
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Basically every upcoming I have had a schedule change this weekend, but they all got highlighted. Of course, not sure if there have been others that I haven't noticed.

Emails would be nice.
I sat next to a UA flight crew manager last year and asked if they would address this problem and not require us to babysit reservations for changes where we are not notified. His reply - UA likes the web page hits when you click each reservation to check on it...several times a week! Ugh.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by azzurro
I sat next to a UA flight crew manager last year and asked if they would address this problem and not require us to babysit reservations for changes where we are not notified. His reply - UA likes the web page hits when you click each reservation to check on it...several times a week! Ugh.
That doesn't even make any sense...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It makes more sense than most explanations. It's the same reason United shot down sites like AwardWallet. The more hits on their site, the more opportunities for people to see their advertising.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by grimjack2k
The short of it: I logged into .bomb today to review a saver business class reward itinerary that I have scheduled in April. Lo and behold, a schedule change reduces a domestic connection from 50 minutes to 1 minute!. What are my options when calling UA to ask how they intend to correct this, re: getting around the currently limited saver award availability for alternative flights?

The affected segments were originally:
UA (ALB) 5:18 PM (CLE) 6:36 PM - ERJ-145, Economy
UA (CLE) 7:25 PM (YYZ) 8:24 PM - ERJ-145, Economy
AC (YYZ) 11:10 PM (LHR - HEATHROW) 11:05 AM (+1) - 788, Business
Update on this: UA has now arbitrarily changed the affected flights and notified by me email. Instead of a couple of ERJs ALB->CLE->YYZ, now it's an ERJ and Q300 ALB->IAD->YYZ (and, of course, an earlier flight out of ALB and a longer layover in YYZ). Can I call in and argue this arbitrary flight reassignment? When I originally booked this, I called and hand-fed the segments to the CSR. What if I had brief business at CLE before my onward segment? I hope that I can change this around, as the flights they selected are definitely the ones that I would prefer...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:51 pm

Instead of a couple of ERJs ALB->CLE->YYZ, now it's an ERJ and Q300 ALB->IAD->YYZ (and, of course, an earlier flight out of ALB and a longer layover in YYZ).
Yes, that's option #2 from post #28 (or maybe an early morning departure?).

Can I call in and argue this arbitrary flight reassignment?
Yes, though the only other option that departs after noon is option #1 from post #28.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It makes more sense than most explanations. It's the same reason United shot down sites like AwardWallet. The more hits on their site, the more opportunities for people to see their advertising.
I guess, but someone coming to check out their award balance or do a dummy search seems much more likely to buy something or click on a Chase ad than someone coming to babysit reservations.

Maybe that's wrong. I suppose they have logged a conversion or two from me when I came to check on reservations. Dammit.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Admittedly, since that is not his department he did not have any constructive feedback. He was looking for the positive in the situation, and the only thing he could see was an outcome that potentailly benefits UA. I asked him to pass the word along to someone who can address it but didn't expect anything...

As for having cust service help when changes disrupt my travel plans, they will almost always honor my requests - I just have my desired changes ready when I call. Sometimes it even works in your favor if you bought a ticket with a less than desirable connection as they don't require changes to be in the same fare class.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Remember UA has ads on their site - ad revenue likes pageviews.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Have a question about schedule changes. I booked a flight about 8 months ago, flight was originally scheduled to depart at 4pm and arrive approximately 6:30pm. About 6 months ago there was a schedule change that had the plane now departing at 6:30pm, I did nothing when I got the email back then but now I don't really have to take the flight can I still cancel without penalty even though the change really happened 6 months ago?

If not the flight leaves tomorrow from EWR so thee is a chance I may get a weather waiver anyway but would like to know if UA would allow me to cancel now since the change took place so long ago.

TIA
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
can I still cancel without penalty even though the change really happened 6 months ago?
You can try, but the fact that you waited until the day before departure really weakens your possiblities.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You can try, but the fact that you waited until the day before departure really weakens your possiblities.
Agreed, i figured I would ask, not the end of the world if I have to spend a few days in south florida with the weather we are having in the northeast

Edit: there we go...waiver extended so tomorrow's flight is covered.

Last edited by Weez_1000; Jan 21, 2014 at 11:04 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had last weekend's round of schedule changes hit one of my itineraries for a trip from NYC to SMF in May, resulting in a misconnect in Denver, where I would now be arriving after the connecting flight left. I saw other routings that I could use for rebooking, but I didn't feel like dealing with it right away, so let it go.

Yesterday, I got an email from UA telling me they had rebooked me; when I checked, they dropped SMF completely from my itinerary and I now had a roundtrip to LAX. Luckily, the UA agent I called could see the originally-booked itinerary and rebooked me to SMF.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I had last weekend's round of schedule changes hit one of my itineraries for a trip from NYC to SMF in May, resulting in a misconnect in Denver, where I would now be arriving after the connecting flight left. I saw other routings that I could use for rebooking, but I didn't feel like dealing with it right away, so let it go.

Yesterday, I got an email from UA telling me they had rebooked me; when I checked, they dropped SMF completely from my itinerary and I now had a roundtrip to LAX. Luckily, the UA agent I called could see the originally-booked itinerary and rebooked me to SMF.
So you didn't act on a schedule change within 5-6 days and UA "proactively re-booked you"? That's a major for folks who are traveling and don't get a chance to act on a schedule change right away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.