Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How did they get to the prices of the "premium" wines in the United Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How did they get to the prices of the "premium" wines in the United Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by billybligh
sorry now you're wrong. we are trying to figure out their price model for OP and all we have is retail pricing at his local store as a basis. If you want call your distributor and post the pricing.
with all due respect, I have already outlined exactly how bars & restaurant's due their pricing. There is no secret formula here. This is industry standard practice
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
The retail price is irrelevant to this discussion. Please stop referring to it. Retail establishments make 18-30% Gross Profit Margin (depending on the retailer)

United's by the glass pricing is right in line with most on premise accounts in the food & beverage industry
What do you mean? Retail and wholesale pricing may differ significantly, but they're highly correlated. Sure, United is paying a way less than $50 for Jordan cab, but there's no way United is buying it for $8 to $10 a bottle in bulk. I've been involved in purchasing hundreds of cases direct from wineries for large events; an 80% discount off retail pricing is all but unheard of. United is probably paying $20 to $30 per bottle of Jordan cab.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jbsay
What do you mean? Retail and wholesale pricing may differ significantly, but they're highly correlated. Sure, United is paying a way less than $50 for Jordan cab, but there's no way United is buying it for $8 to $10 a bottle in bulk. I've been involved in purchasing hundreds of cases direct from wineries for large events; an 80% discount off retail pricing is all but unheard of. United is probably paying $20 to $30 per bottle of Jordan cab.
again for everyone in this thread: pricing strategy for Bars/Restaurants & retail stores like binny's/safeway,osco,walgreens etc differ

Bars/Restaurants

By the Glass - typically these wines are priced on their list for about what they pay for them. Sometimes less, sometimes more, Jordan Cab is $15 on the list at United. I have seen it for $20 & $25 at other restaurants. I would bet that United is actually charging less than they pay for this one as it is their TOP DOLLARS BTG pour, most accounts know where the law of diminishing returns is.

By the Bottle on wine lists - typically restaurants will charge 2-2.5 & sometimes 3x what the paid for the bottle. I typically see this wine from $75-$110 on a wine list.

Retail
Typically works 18-30% Gross Profit Margin, sometimes even more - If binnys has Jordan Cab retailed for $45, say they bought the wine for $25 per bottle, they are making 44% Gross Profit Margin
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
and with all due respect, totally agree 4x is standard. but yes the retail price matters here. And Jordan is the real interesting price. As a layman and booze aficionado this is most interesting. We need an in club report of what exact bottle they have. deal or no deal maybe we'll never know. But I hope your correct and the top shelf is actually a better deal. I'll have to taste it.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:39 pm

and with all due respect, totally agree 4x is standard. but yes the retail price matters here. And Jordan is the real interesting price. As a layman and booze aficionado this is most interesting. We need an in club report of what exact bottle they have. deal or no deal maybe we'll never know. But I hope your correct and the top shelf is actually a better deal. I'll have to taste it.

why does retail matter? what does it prove? on almost every by the glass wine wine list in america you buy one glass of wine for what it costs to buy the bottle at retail

Jordan Cab @ $15 for a glass is a bargain for that wine. Pull out the google machine and you can easily find it listed at above $15
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:42 pm

exactly that. it shows a discrepancy. Me being the pessimist is saying they buy jordan cab at 18 while its marketed in stores at much higher. you being the optomist is saying they are giving away that wine. and we both know for whatever reason the bottle and glass price is the same.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:45 pm

exactly that. it shows a discrepancy. Me being the pessimist is saying they buy jordan cab at 18 while its marketed in stores at much higher. you being the optomist is saying they are giving away that wine. and we both know for whatever reason the bottle and glass price is the same.
There entire list is very comparable to by the glass pricing every where in the USA.

And yes, Jordan & Veuve are a value to the traditional pricing formula.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:47 pm

it is except for jordan. would you agree with me to assume that jordan wants its bottle in the UC and restaurants by the pour and also in stores at much different pricing?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:53 pm

it is except for jordan. would you agree with me to assume that jordan wants its bottle in the UC and restaurants by the pour and also in stores at much different pricing?
a winery always has target pricing for On & off Premise.

Not that many places can do a big business on $15-$25 by the glass sales. The majority of by the glass sales are $15 & Under. I searched lots of menus that had jordan cab, but did not offer it by the glass. The key to building a good by the glass list is to find wines that over deliver for $10-$15.

Jordan Cab is $38-$40 on wine searcher
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/jo...california+usa
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:59 pm

Ok so now FT will look to us to spectate all wines at UC's with CPOz vs. Retail. Just as I got use to the free Gordons Vodka Bloody. I'm actually looking forward to a jordan cab with a pairing of chlorinated carrots. I think we realize though we answered Op's question and started a completely new obsession.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:42 pm

Sitting at rest at the aria in Las Vegas

Jordan Cab 29 by the glass

Veuve yellow label 39 by the glass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.